[comp.windows.x] SERVER_IMAGE_BITMAP_FILE in xview 1.0.1

richard@ben.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Conan the Barbarian) (05/03/90)

A Note: Page 298 of XView Programming Manual by Dan Heller
refers to an attribute of SERVER_IMAGE called
SERVER_IMAGE_BITMAP_FILE. It is referenced again on page 431.

The attr does not exist in xview 1.0.1 The middle third of the page
is fantasy. However, if you have the source for xview
you can modify load_icon_mpr (the old sunview icon stuff)
to load icon edit files into a short array suitable
for SERVER_IMAGE_BITS.  For some strange reason, the old
icon_load routines are still laying around even though
xview supposedly uses a different method for creating icons
(server_images).

Usual qualifying statement: This note may be so much
manure when xview 2.0 arrives.

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (05/05/90)

In article <1990May3.000908.26918@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> richard@ben.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Conan the Barbarian) writes:
> A Note: Page 298 of XView Programming Manual by Dan Heller
> refers to an attribute of SERVER_IMAGE called
> SERVER_IMAGE_BITMAP_FILE. It is referenced again on page 431.
> The attr does not exist in xview 1.0.1
That's odd -- it was there in version 1.0.  I may be wrong, maybe someone
from sun can verify this.

> The middle third of the page
> is fantasy. However, if you have the source for xview
> you can modify load_icon_mpr (the old sunview icon stuff)
> to load icon edit files into a short array suitable
> for SERVER_IMAGE_BITS.  For some strange reason, the old
> icon_load routines are still laying around even though
> xview supposedly uses a different method for creating icons
> (server_images).

Great pains are taken to make XView backwards compatible with Sunview.
Some advice: don't use compatibility routines or attributes.
You're not guaranteed to have them in the future.
--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com