[net.news] Questions about mod.*, distributions, etc.

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron) (11/28/84)

Hello, I am new to the net so forgive my ignorance.  Apparently the
net had done some changing since the documentation I have was written.

What is all this stuff about moderated newsgroups, distributions, etc.
I have seen enough to know basically what they are, but lack some specifics.

For instance, my software here will (I think) allow me to post to a
"moderated" newsgroup.  So much for security, right?  wrong?  (No, it
doesn't.  Just tried it.)  But at any rate, I haven't gotten anything
come through on mod.* except a few test messages a couple weeks ago.
Are things going out to mod.* newsgroups?  If so, do I need to get on
the people upstream to get them to feed it on down?

Distributions.  Are they only something in 2.10.2?   Are you supposed
to be able to say "usa.religion" and have a message appear as "net.religion"
but only on sites in usa?  Or is it just a newsgroup, and everybody that
connects to foreign sites agree not to forward usa.*?

Are these things that are currently in force?  Or is it just something
being worked on currently?  (Lots of questions and no answers.)

AD(I thank you all)VANCE

David Herron (University of Kentucky Department of Mathatical Sciences)
Phone:	(606) 257-4244 (phone will be answered as "Vax Lab", usually).
	(606) 254-7820
                         /------- Arpa-Net
	unmvax----\     /
	research   >---/----------------/----------- anlams!ukma!david
	boulder---/                    /
	             decvax!ucbvax ---/   (or cbosgd!hasmed!qusavx!ukma!david)

For arpa-net, anlams has the name ANL-MCS.  (i.e. use "ukma!david"@ANL-MCS).

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Cheshire Chuqui) (12/02/84)

In article <326@ukma.UUCP> david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron) writes:
>Hello, I am new to the net so forgive my ignorance.  Apparently the
>net had done some changing since the documentation I have was written.
>
>But at any rate, I haven't gotten anything
>come through on mod.* except a few test messages a couple weeks ago.
>Are things going out to mod.* newsgroups?  If so, do I need to get on
>the people upstream to get them to feed it on down?
Moderated groups are still somewhat experimental. We have found that
certain areas of the network do not receive them reliably, and I am trying
to track down and resolve these 'black holes'. There is minimal mod.all
traffic right now simply because they aren't completely reliable yet.

>Distributions.  Are they only something in 2.10.2?   Are you supposed
>to be able to say "usa.religion" and have a message appear as "net.religion"
>but only on sites in usa?  Or is it just a newsgroup, and everybody that
>connects to foreign sites agree not to forward usa.*?
No, they were in 2.10.2, it is just that until 2.10.2 they weren't fully
supported. You should post to 'mod.religion' with a distribution of 'usa',
not 'usa.religion'. The 2.10.2 postnews makes this an easy thing to do. The
forwarding is done both by newsgroup and distribution, and a message needs
to have both to get forwarded. Foreign sites won't support usa, so they
won't see anything posted with that distribution.

>Are these things that are currently in force?  Or is it just something
>being worked on currently?  (Lots of questions and no answers.)

Distribtions: yes. Moderated groups: kinda. The documentation probably
should get upgraded, but unfortunately usenet is mostly a volunteer effort
and we haven't found the time for that. Until we can get moderated groups
working and be sure that we want them to work permanently it makes sense to
not update the documents on them. I think they will, but there is still
work to be done to get them working right...

chuq

--
From the center of a Plaid pentagram:		Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  ~But you know, monsieur, that as long as she wears the claw of the dragon
  upon her breast you can do nothing-- her soul belongs to me!~