[comp.windows.x] Using a X terminal

jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathon Sivier ) (05/02/90)

   Does anyone have any idea as to how to set the DISPLAY parameter with
 SET DISPLAY in order to get DECWindows to display on an X terminal?  I am
 reaching the VAX through a VMS-Ultrix Connection bridge on another machine.
 I know the node name of the machine running the connection but I dont' know
 how to refer to the X terminal beyond it.  The terminal I am using is
an NCD 16.
 We are trying it out and are interested in buying some, if we can be convinced
 that it will work.

 Any tips or hints along these lines will be appreciated.

 Jonathan Sivier
 jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

root@didsgn.uucp (didsgn) (05/06/90)

jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathon Sivier ) writes:
>   Does anyone have any idea as to how to set the DISPLAY parameter with
> SET DISPLAY in order to get DECWindows to display on an X terminal?  I am
> reaching the VAX through a VMS-Ultrix Connection bridge on another machine.
> I know the node name of the machine running the connection but I dont' know
> how to refer to the X terminal beyond it.  The terminal I am using is
>an NCD 16.

First things first, you should not buy a NCD 16 but rather buy the a GIPSI LetX
that my company happens to manufacture and sell :-) :-)

Now the solution to your problem is:

SET DISPLAY/CREATE/TRANSPORT=xxxxx/NODE=[terminal name on your network]

xxxxxx = DECNET or TCPIP or TCPWARE (very good stuff from Process Software)

[terminal name on your network] = if (xxxxx == tcpip/tcpware )
					The hostname of your terminal in the
					/etc/hosts file or its internet address
					such as: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
				  else
					I don't know the syntax on decnet
				  endif

For more information see DEC brochure # AA-MG18B-TE page 9-5 et al...

Regards,

Jean-Luc Chatelain
Peripheral Design Inc.
A member of the Digital Design Group