[comp.windows.x] problem with TWM and OpenWindows

stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (05/03/90)

A while ago I posted a couple of questions regarding peaceful coexistence
of Sun's OpenWindows and MIT X11R4 software.  Since I receive no replies
to date I am reposting here the one problem I consider most pressing,
to wit:

The combination of xnews server and twm as a window manager screws up
when I try to iconify windows.  Windows are iconified (by any of the
mechanisms twm provides for this), but the icons then immediately
disappear completely from the screen.  The corresponding application is
still running, however, but has to be killed because there is now way to
get its window(s) back.

The problem does not occur with the olwm or pswm window managers.
Are Sun's window managers making assumptions special to the xnews
server?

Anybody who has experienced this problem and knows a workaround,
please let me (or the net) know.

----
Andreas Stolcke
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU
1957 Center St., Suite 600, Berkeley, CA 94704	(415) 642-4274 ext. 126

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (05/03/90)

I have been using the R3 version of twm quite successfully with OpenWindows
on our SS1s.  Unless R4 has new features you need, perhaps switching to
the earlier version would be a solution.

Thomas C. Murphy                        |  Internet:   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu
Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab |              tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu
100 Institute Road                      |  BITNET:     TMURPHY@WPI.BITNET
Worcester, MA  01609                    |  CompuServe: 73766,130
Phone (508) 831-5323                    |
Fax   (508) 831-5680                    |

      Guns don't kill people, people kill people ... usually with guns.

scott@talarian.UUCP (Scott Weitzenkamp) (05/07/90)

In article <24667@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) writes:
> The combination of xnews server and twm as a window manager screws up
> when I try to iconify windows.  Windows are iconified (by any of the
> mechanisms twm provides for this), but the icons then immediately
> disappear completely from the screen.  The corresponding application is
> still running, however, but has to be killed because there is now way to
> get its window(s) back.

I'm seeing this problem, too, on a SPARCstation 1 running SunOS 4.0.3.
I have X11R4 (patches 1-9) and OpenWindows 1.0.1.  The R4 twm seems to
"lose" the icons (they just disappear).  The R3 (no patches) twm does
not seem to have this icon problem, although it has many other
problems :-( interacting with xnews.  The R3 twm linked with the R4
libraries also seems to be OK.  Thus it would seem to be something
that twm is doing...
--
Thanks in advance...
Scott Weitzenkamp, Talarian Corporation, Mountain View, CA