[net.news] Many machines, one news system

pc@ukc.UUCP (R.P.A.Collinson) (11/24/84)

Consider the following:
	An installation consists of several machines connected by a local
	area network.

	The installation wishes to be known by one public name and does not
	want to emit news and mail marked with the internal names of machines.

	The news system is driven by one machine which can have two
	names - one internal and one external.

Problem:
	News is processor based and inserts local machine names when news
	items are submitted. News items are identified by the processor
	name and an article id.

Question:
	Has anyone come up (or wanted to come up) with a solution. I want to
	allow the users of local processors to initiate and reply to news
	but without external sites seeing any name other than ukc.

Comment:
	Solutions to this problem and related issues with mail are going to
	become increasingly important. In general, I neither wish or need to
	know which processor in a local area network is being used by a
	particular person today, local routing should cope. Current practice
	with mailers and the news system make local machines visible - when
	a simpler installation address should suffice.
Peter Collinson
mcvax!ukc!pc

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Cheshire Chuqui) (11/27/84)

I've been looking (in my copious free time) at the problems of running a
distributed news system (specifically on a 4.2 system, but looking for a
generic answer to LAN's) for a while. I haven't made too much headway, but
I'd be interested in discussing this further with interested parties. We
may have enough going to set up a mailing list to try to put together a
design and perhaps in implementation. This is definitely going to be of
growing importance-- I don't want to slog megabytes of news all over my
ethernet and I don't want people forced to rlogin to the vax for their
news.

If you are interested, drop me a line.

chuq

--
From the center of a Plaid pentagram:		Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  ~But you know, monsieur, that as long as she wears the claw of the dragon
  upon her breast you can do nothing-- her soul belongs to me!~

gnu@sun.uucp (John Gilmore) (11/28/84)

I've also been thinking about the problems of running news
transparently over a net.  At Sun we currently rlogin to 'sun' to deal
with news.  My best idea so far is to run /usr/spool/news as a network
file system and let users on any machine mount it read-only, running
the current vnews/readnews/rn.  However, inews should be run via rpc or
rsh to the server to avoid race conditions in database updates.

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (11/30/84)

We use remote filesystems here on our Suns to avoid multiple copies.
cbhydra (a Sun 170 fileserver) has /usr/spool/news and /usr/lib/news
on the /pub filesystem, with appropriate symbolic links so they appear
to be in /usr/spool/news and /usr/lib/news.  /pub is mounted read only
on the workstations and we can read news from either of them.  We run
the same binaries, which are also accessed over the net.

inews is handled by having /usr/lib/news/inews on the fileserver by
a shell script that rsh's it onto cbosgd - that way we hide the Suns
and all news (like this article) appears to come from cbosgd.  Works
fine, as long as cbhydra and cbosgd are up.  rnews is a link to
/usr/lib/news/iinews, since inews itself is a shell script.

There does turn out to be a problem here.  vnews has a huge artfile
that it keeps lots of info in.  If you're reading vnews on a workstation
and news is coming into the fileserver at the same time, the buffer
cache on the workstation will be out of date, and you'll see an
inconsistent artfile on the workstation (some blocks will be up to
date and others won't.)  I don't see a nice solution to this, and I
don't know if NFS will solve it.

Also, I understand there is a news server being developed experimentally
at Berkeley.

	Mark

schoff@cadtroy.UUCP (Martin Lee Schoffstall) (12/02/84)

> I've also been thinking about the problems of running news
> transparently over a net.  At Sun we currently rlogin to 'sun' to deal
> with news.  My best idea so far is to run /usr/spool/news as a network
> file system and let users on any machine mount it read-only, running
> the current vnews/readnews/rn.  However, inews should be run via rpc or
> rsh to the server to avoid race conditions in database updates.

This is very similar to what we have done at CADMUS for the last year.
We have the news database machine mounted say as /NEWS which is then
put in the /etc/passwd entry as user "news"'s login directory.  Everything
works really well while doing "readnews".  inews is the problem.  It would
seem to me that someone could change inews such that you could run inews
on another machine.  This handle would be system distribution specific,
SUN would use their RPC, CADMUS would use their RPC etc...

marty

{wivax,linus,bbncca,seismo}!cadmus!schoff	USENET-LAND
schoff@cadmusv.ARPA				ARPA-LAND

joe@fluke.UUCP (Joe Kelsey) (12/03/84)

I have already replied personally to this article, but I just can't
resist yet another opportunity to plug my favorite modification of the
news system.  I have modified news ever since 2.9 (!) so that it
"hides" the local system name of whatever local network you happen to
have running (way back in 2.9 days we were running Jerknet, now we have
a "real" Ethernet...).  Anyway, the idea is to hide all of those
horrible local system names since they just clutter up the path and
confus everyone anyway.  The only real use for them is in generating
Message-ID's anyway...  So, here is what you do:  pick a domain name
that you want to hide behind.  Here we use "fluke", which is the name
our uucp machine identifies itself as to the outside world (internally
it is known as "vax4").  Then, apply these patches, and all machines
you run news on will identify themselves as this machine, except in
Message-IDs and responses to certain control messages.  You also need
to hack sendmail.cf or whatever your mail delivery agen tis so that the
mail system also cooperates in hiding the grungy details from the
outside world, but this is quite easily done with a master alias
database and a few changes here and there to sendmail.cf.

I have posted these changes several times in the past, and I will post
them again and again until they finally get installed in an "official"
version of the news software.  I encourage everyone who has a local
network with imaginative names like vax1, vax2, vax3, or pucc-a,
pucc-b, pucc-d, or hoxyz1, hoxyz2 to consider this scheme.  I think
that wider use of this kind of system could prevent machnie names like
"x" at CRDS from leaking out onto the network again.  It will also help
tremendously in the UUCP directory since then you won't have to worry
so much about how many unique characters you need, since you only have
to register your gateway name and can call your other machines anything
you want to!

/Joe

ka@cbosgd.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist) (12/07/84)

The only network file system that I have seen running on the Sun worked
by replacing the standard disk driver with a driver that read from a
remote disk across the Ethernet.  This approach will not work on a file
system (like /usr/spool/news) which is subject to modification.  In order
to run vnews across a network you need something like the Newcastle
Connection, which intercepts system calls and sends them over the network.
				Kenneth Almquist