[comp.windows.x] Resource editing

david@ics.ics.COM (David B. Lewis) (02/10/90)

>From: blean@rwb.sgi.com (Bob Blean)
>>	1) A way to dump the complete set of resources from
>>	   an Xt based application.
>>	2) A WYSIWYG resource editor.
>
>HEAR!  HEAR!  These things are really needed if people who neither need to
>know not want to know about X stuff are to be comfortable with an X situation.
>
>X configuration today is NOT easy for most of the people we want to be using
>our computers.  That has to change.

As far as (2) goes:

The OSF/Motif 1.0 release has a demo program called the Motif Resource Editor
by Mitch Trachtenberg of OSF.  (This is the program featured in the User's
Guide.) This program does help in changing values for resources.

A portion of the README:
MRE allows you to conveniently view and edit your resource files.  MRE's
internal rules, which may be extended by a user-supplied file, allow it
to determine whether resources are colors, fonts, files, or other types.
Based on its determination of the type of a resource, MRE provides an
appropriate editing mechanism: colorbars for colors, a font selection window
for fonts, a file selection window for files, and a simple text window
for others.

and as far as (1):
strings isn't sufficient for you?!

David B. Lewis  david@ics.com  david%ics.UUCP@bu.edu  ...!uunet!ics.com!david

"Direct manipulation has its place, and in many regards is part of the joys of
life: sports, food, sex, and for some, driving." -- Nicholas Negroponte,
Director, MIT Media Lab, in SIGGRAPH 1989 Keynote Address

josh@viewlog.UUCP (Josh Marantz) (05/04/90)

Mre is the Motif Resource Editor.  I'm intrigued by the concept, but
I haven't succeeded in making it run.  What experience have people had
with resource editors in general?  How do they relate to Macinstosh
properties or Open Look preference sheets?  Is MRE just sort of a restricted
text editor, or does it know more about the types of the resource values?

Clearly, resource editors embedded in applications, such as Open Look
preference sheets, can take advantage of type information and provide
better editors.  Right?

What about when the user wants to save the changed resources?  The toolkit
looks for resource values is one of about 5 sources (.Xdefaults, system
.Xdefaults, server resource properties, applications defaults, command line,
etc.)  If a user changes a resource interactively, which file gets written?
What if he changes one resource from one file and one from another?  Do
they get saved to their respective origins?  All to the highest precedence
file?  All to .Xdefaults?

This seems like a complex issue, and I'm curious how other people address
it?  I don't totally understand the Motif or Open Look solutions, so
please feel free to enlighten me!
--
Joshua Marantz
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.

wicks@MST1.BAL.MMC.COM (Anthony B. Wicks) (05/10/90)

   Date: 3 May 90 22:42:20 GMT
   From: samsung!cg-atla!viewlog!josh@think.com  (Josh Marantz)
   Sender: xpert-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu

   Clearly, resource editors embedded in applications, such as Open Look
   preference sheets, can take advantage of type information and provide
   better editors.  Right?
   Joshua Marantz
   Viewlogic Systems, Inc.
   viewlog!josh@cg-atla.agfa.com
	   Why not pass the time by playing a game of solitaire?

Is it really that clear.  I am not so sure.  If I create a new widget
which defines a new XtCnnn class, how would a resource editor know which
XtRnnn goes with that resource.  This is burried in the widget
implementation.

Please let me know if I have this wrong, as I am a novice and I am trying
to get my understanding straightened out.

--Tony
Staff Engineer, Martin Marietta Aero & Naval Systems, Software Department
Local MMA&NS Email: wicks@mst1.bal -- 301-682-2883 (Desk) 301-682-0975 (Lab)
          INTERNET: wicks@mst1.bal.mmc.com -or- wicks@umbc3.umbc.edu