[net.news] "stargate" exists! & mudslinging

mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) (12/12/84)

I won't stoop to David DiGiacomo's level and question his integrity or
professionalism.  I won't argue the technical merits of the case (which
I judge to be on Lauren's side).

I *WILL*, however,  point out that Lauren is one of the most important
contibutors to USENET, both in terms of intelligent commentary and
active efforts to make the net work better.  Everything I've seen leads
me to believe that "stargate" is a sincere effort to address some of
the most pressing problems USENET faces.  DiGiacomo's comments were
cheap shots taken at a valuable experiment (and the lead
experimenter).
--
Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mjl

avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/12/84)

> I won't stoop to David DiGiacomo's level and question his integrity or
> professionalism....
>
> I *WILL*, however,  point out that Lauren is one of the most important
> contibutors to USENET, both in terms of intelligent commentary and
> active efforts to make the net work better....

Agreed!  Agreed! "This is totally bogus!" *indeed*! (quote from
271@bradvax.UUCP ... *totally* bogus? :-)) I suspect, Lauren, most
people appreciate the effort and more will later.  And, man-alive, I
hope he does make a few bucks off of it!
--
Fred Avolio, DEC -- U{LTR,N}IX Support
301/731-4100 x4227

david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) (12/12/84)

In article <1422@ritcv.UUCP> mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) writes:
>				DiGiacomo's comments were
>cheap shots taken at a valuable experiment (and the lead
>experimenter).

You're right -- I'm a cheap person and I think that broadcast Usenet
decoders should also be cheap.  For me the $500-650 price quoted is a
warning that something is screwed up.

>I won't stoop to David DiGiacomo's level and question his integrity or
>professionalism.
Geesh!  I didn't accuse Lauren of anything; I was just asking a question.

>I won't argue the technical merits of the case (which I judge to be on
>Lauren's side).

Let's cut out the mudslinging and argue the technical merits of the
case!

--
David DiGiacomo, BRAG Systems Inc., San Mateo CA  (415) 342-3963
(...decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!bragvax!david)

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (12/13/84)

In article <273@bragvax.UUCP> david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) writes:
>You're right -- I'm a cheap person and I think that broadcast Usenet
>decoders should also be cheap.  For me the $500-650 price quoted is a
>warning that something is screwed up.

Don't quibble over the price of the decoder box until you know what it does.
I don't know all of the features, but I know it isn't just a simple
cable decoder box that you can get for $49.95.  A little back of the
envelope calculation reveals that the date is going to be coming into the
box at at least 600 characters per second assuming only 10 characters per
video frame.  It is possible that the rate could be 6000 or 60000, I don't
know how many characters per video frame.  How many of you have machines
that can handle news coming in at 6000 baud all day?  60,000 baud?  600,000
baud?

This box HAS to contain a non-trivial amount of buffering memory and
hardware.  If you thing that duplicate article rejection in rnews is slow
now, what happens when your machine receives the save article 3 times per
hour, 24 hours per day?  Your machine will be running rnews all day, and you
will get NO work done.  This box needs to have a cache of recently received
message-ids so that the machine need not handle duplicates.

This box is going to need about 64k of memory or more, a video decoder,
some fast pattern matching hardware, and an RS-232 port.  Probably needs
to containt its own 68000 class cpu and a good real-time software package.

You just don't get that for $49.95.  $500 is probably too cheap, but I would
be willing to pay that once, plus $10-20 per month to replace $2000/month
phone bills.

So give Lauren a break.  If you can't trust USENIX to protect our interests,
who can you trust.  Besides, Lauren does deserve to be payed for the work.
You can't expect him to donate 100's of hours of time for free?
Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

dave@timeinc.UUCP (David Mutterer) (12/14/84)

> I won't stoop to David DiGiacomo's level and question his integrity or
> professionalism.  I won't argue the technical merits of the case (which
> I judge to be on Lauren's side).
>
> I *WILL*, however,  point out that Lauren is one of the most important
> contibutors to USENET, both in terms of intelligent commentary and
> active efforts to make the net work better.  Everything I've seen leads
> me to believe that "stargate" is a sincere effort to address some of
> the most pressing problems USENET faces.  DiGiacomo's comments were
> cheap shots taken at a valuable experiment (and the lead
> experimenter).
> --

Why are they cheap shots..??   because they don't conform to your opinion??
There are some things that Lauren is doing that could be questioned as far
as ethics of the net are concerned... Everyone is entitled to their
own opinion, and they should express it on the net to bring up views
that other people might not have seen before..
--

					David Mutterer
					[vax135|ihnp4]!timeinc!dave

"Any opinions expressed herein are those of the writer and
do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Time Incorporated."