[net.news] Objection to annonymous postings

wendya@apollo.uucp (Wendy Alberts) (11/15/84)

Ed Hall, in a recent net.news.group article, states:
> Agreed; one very good reason for anonymous postings is the ability to
> make sensitive self-revelations.  Another, perhaps less-justifiable
> one is a posting from someone whose does not want their employer/
> administrator to know about it.
> In both cases anonymous postings can contribute to freedom of speach [sic]
> without any malicious intent or effect whatever.

I am opposed to annonymous postings.

I feel very strongly that if you think you want to post something to the net,
but you don't want your employer or administrator to know about it, you simply
shouldn't post it at all. For one thing, there are other methods and modes of
communicating your thoughts/ideas, completely independent of this net. Maybe
one of these would be more appropriate and comfortable. (This covers everything
from private email or phone calls to letters to the editor, pamphlets dropped
by the thousands from airplanes, skywriting, etc.) But, another, more
important, objection, is that your employer/administrator is, in most cases,
providing you with the opportunity to use the net in the first place. It
seems quite underhanded, ungrateful, and highly inappropriate to abuse that
opportunity by posting articles you or your employer/administrator might be
ashamed of, or for which you have any reason to fear possible repercussions
(legal, social, or other).

If you have something to say, say it well and take the responsibility -
identify yourself!

I also maintain that a public, worldwide computer bulletin board network is
hardly the forum in which to make "sensitive self-revelations," annonymously
or otherwise. I suspect that, at some time in the not-too-distant future,
many netters may very well bitterly regret some of their public soul-searching
(which, in some cases, borders on exhibitionism). As they seek employment,
academic contacts, etc., these netters may find, to their utter and permanent
chagrin, that a possibly bizarre and often quite undesirable reputation has
preceded them. The ability to post articles annonymously does NOT solve this
problem - it exacerbates it by legitimatizing excesses and irresponsibility
which should never appear on the net anyway. While realizing the futility of
protecting people from themselves, everyone should work together to make
the net an environment in which common sense, intelligence, and moderation
prevail.

On a related subject of somewhat lesser importance...
I also object to the gratuitous alteration of header information, even when
such alteration seems innocuous or just silly, rather than indicating any
real attempt to conceal one's true identity.
Examples:    (Leo Buscaglia @ your nearest bookstore)
             (Dish of the Day @ The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)
             (? @ inside a linked list)
These alterations make me work much harder than I should have to in order
to find out just where and from whom an article originated. They are
particularly annoying when combined with unsigned articles. Again, even if
the intention is not to mislead or conceal identity, I belive it is, at best,
an impolite and annoying practice. The *very* small amount of humor provided
is simply not worth it; in any case, these things tend to become tedious
rather quickly.

W. Christensen
Apollo Computer
...decvax!wivax!apollo!wendya

The views expressed here are solely my own, and do not necessarily
reflect those of Apollo Computer, its management, or its employees.

scott@normac.UUCP (Scott Bryan) (11/16/84)

An interesting problem ... (help! net programmers, Help!)

Ed Hall (E:), in a recent net.news.group article, states:
E: ... one very good reason for anonymous postings is the ability to
E: make sensitive self-revelations.  Another, perhaps less-justifiable
E: one is a posting from someone whose does not want their employer/
E: administrator to know about it.
E: In both cases anonymous postings can contribute to freedom of speech [sic]
E: without any malicious intent or effect whatever.

W. Christensen (W:), (I think ...) replies
apollo.uucp (Wendy Alberts) [same person?!?]

W: I am opposed to anonymous postings.
W: I feel very strongly that if you think you want to post something to
W: the net, but you don't want your employer or administrator to know
W: about it, you simply shouldn't post it at all.

The reasons she lists: [I condensed it a bit]

1) ... there are other methods and modes of communicating ...
   completely independent of this net.
[irrelevant]

2) ... your employer/administrator is, in most cases, providing you
   with the opportunity to use the net in the first place. It seems quite
   underhanded, ungrateful, and highly inappropriate to abuse that
   opportunity by posting articles you or your employer/administrator
   might be ashamed of, or for which you have any reason to fear possible
   repercussions (legal, social, or other).
[but there are constructive uses for being anonymous]

3) If you have something to say, say it well and take the responsibility -
   identify yourself!
[responsible views can be expressed anonymously]

4) I also maintain that a public, worldwide computer bulletin board
   network is hardly the forum in which to make "sensitive
   self-revelations," anonymously or otherwise.
[a definite cost, see below]

5) ... many netters may very well bitterly regret some of their public
   soul-searching (which, in some cases, borders on exhibitionism)
   [when] they seek employment, academic contacts, etc., ...
   The ability to post articles anonymously does NOT solve
   this problem - it exacerbates it by legitimatizing excesses and
   irresponsibility which should never appear on the net anyway.
[what about the netters that are using the net to advertise their eloquence?
I don't care much for them either... being forced to be anonymous might
help to ease the swelling of their heads]

W's summary:
W: While realizing the futility of protecting people from themselves,
W: everyone should work together to make the net an environment in which
W: common sense, intelligence, and moderation prevail.

Perhaps the problem we are really discovering here is that the
communication mechanism provided by the network doesn't seem to work
very well for discussing complex philosophical and social issues.

It was designed to carry notices, distributions, and support limited
discussions of specific technical issues.  For these purposes it
works quite well.  Anonymous postings in those contexts is clearly
ridiculous.

The problem is that people like to discuss complex philosophical
issues.  Especially the sort of people in the research industry.
That's their job.  I expect the more experienced managers know this
very well and put up with the bit of "bad" to get the bit of "good"
that comes with it.  They will continue to do so as long as the revenue (the
technical benefits of this network) continues to outweigh the phone
bills.

Obviously, Ed feels that there are discussions going on about very
personal, socially polarizing issues.  It seems logical to me that
there are cases where one might want to remain anonymous in discussing
an issue, for example abortion (perhaps only to conceal their sex).

I see no good reason for disallowing particular topics simply because
they are "too personal" or "non-technical".  I do agree that the
current technology makes discussing issues (like the one I'm discussing
now) VERY difficult and that it would be very nice if someone came up
with a new type of newsgroup where everyone was editing the same
message (well something like that).  Hopefully someone will find a way to
do this before the net collapses under the weight of all that rhetoric.

Until the technology arrives it is probably a moot point.  It would be
pretty difficult using the current software to get away with many
anonymous postings if anyone cared to track you down.

Perhaps we could start a newsgroup to design the kind of news software
we would need to discuss complex social issues like abortion.  Something
that would reduce the traffic my keeping some sort of skeleton for the
discussion in progress in at each site and letting people pick away at it,
reformulating issues, voting on propositions, submitting rebuttals, etc.
Any ideas? (forget modeling it after our government!)

normac.UUCP

steven@mcvax.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) (11/16/84)

<6182@mcvax.UUCP> cancelled from rn.

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (11/18/84)

scott@normac.UUCP:
> An interesting problem ... (help! net programmers, Help!)

I agree, see below.

wendya@apollo.UUCP:
>> 5) ... many netters may very well bitterly regret some of their public
>>  soul-searching (which, in some cases, borders on exhibitionism)
>>  [when] they seek employment, academic contacts, etc., ...
>>  The ability to post articles anonymously does NOT solve
>>  this problem - it exacerbates it by legitimatizing excesses and
>>  irresponsibility which should never appear on the net anyway.

> [what about the netters that are using the net to advertise their eloquence?
> I don't care much for them either... being forced to be anonymous might
> help to ease the swelling of their heads]

There is a good and bad side to the publicity one gets when being an "eloquent"
speaker in a public forum such as this.

The good is that it enables one to make contacts, or at least be heard of in
places where one wouldn't necessary be able to go otherwise.  When it comes
time for one to pursue a different job, academic path, etc., such a resource
is invaluable.

The bad is that not everyone is going to agree with what you say, and you could
alienate a lot of people (and their employers) if you persist in your argu-
ments.  This could be very bad when one is looking for another job or to pursue
an academic path -- in many cases even a talented individual can be turned
down for a job because someone "might have heard something" about them.

Me personally, I do not like to think that I am so unreasonable as to turn off
any of my fellow netters ... I like USENET as it is now and I wouldn't want
to see it go to satellite broadcasting, since the legal issues involved would
cause the old charm of the net to disappear and make things far too regimented.
(Some feel this is the way things should be.)

> Perhaps the problem we are really discovering here is that the
> communication mechanism provided by the network doesn't seem to work
> very well for discussing complex philosophical and social issues.

True.  However, it is the discussion of complex philosophical issues that makes
USENET pleasant to me, and to many others as well (judging from the newsstats).
When I first became a netter, it was largely to discuss the techological
problems of communication between ARPA and UUCP.  As time went on, and I dis-
covered the vast range of subjects available for discussion, I broadened my
reading to the newsgroups I read and post to today.

> Perhaps we could start a newsgroup to design the kind of news software
> we would need to discuss complex social issues like abortion.  Something
> that would reduce the traffic my keeping some sort of skeleton for the
> discussion in progress in at each site and letting people pick away at it,
> reformulating issues, voting on propositions, submitting rebuttals, etc.
> Any ideas? (forget modeling it after our government!)

Sounds like a good idea.  Better still, is there enough interest to start up
a company (USENET, Inc. for example) whose sole purpose is to design news
software and sell it to Unix machines (perhaps netnews could also be written
for other operating systems)?  Think about it, if people are willing to pay
for good software, a lot of the problems the net is experiencing would dis-
appear.  Also, if it is true that we are soon to be going to satellite comm-
unication of netnews, there probably ought to be a base company responsible
for quality transmission of data, reliablility, perhaps government (but that's
another issue).

Think about it ...
--
			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (11/19/84)

There is a place for anonymous comments in our written society --
Moderated postings.  We are all familiar with books and newspapers
that protect their sources by quoting them anonymously.  However,
THEY IN TURN generally know who their sources are, and they are
responsible for the accuracy of what is reported anonymously.
Thus there is always someone who either knows the source, or who
is known, and has independently verified the information reported.

Truly anonymous postings, pamphlets, advertisements, etc., lead
to the most scurrilous and scandalous publications and are geenrally
frowned upon, and/or outright illegal, in our society.  Disgust with
anonymous writings is as old as Democracy.

Although we all feel able to distinguish between scurrilous scandal
and the facts, it's a good check and balance to avoid anonymous
postings.

The desire for groups that could discuss touchy issues on which people
might want to talk anonymously, can be handled fairly well by a
responsible moderator.  How about it?

	- Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
	allegra!eosp1!robison
	or: decvax!ittvax!eosp1!robison
	or (emergency): princeton!eosp1!robison

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Cheshire Chuqui) (11/19/84)

wendya@apollo.uucp (Wendy Alberts) writes:

>Ed Hall, in a recent net.news.group article, states:
>> Agreed; one very good reason for anonymous postings is the ability to
>> make sensitive self-revelations.  Another, perhaps less-justifiable
>> one is a posting from someone whose does not want their employer/
>> administrator to know about it.
>> In both cases anonymous postings can contribute to freedom of speach [sic]
>> without any malicious intent or effect whatever.
>
>I am opposed to annonymous postings.
>
>I feel very strongly that if you think you want to post something to the net,
>but you don't want your employer or administrator to know about it, you simply
>shouldn't post it at all. For one thing, there are other methods and modes of
>communicating your thoughts/ideas, completely independent of this net. Maybe
>one of these would be more appropriate and comfortable. (This covers everything
>from private email or phone calls to letters to the editor, pamphlets dropped
>by the thousands from airplanes, skywriting, etc.)

The problem with using alternative forms of communication is simply that
they don't reach the same audience that posting to the network does. Most
anonymous postings I've seen as moderator of mod.singles are replies on
subjects being discussed on the net-- The only two ways of getting your
feelings back in that situation is to have the moderator post it
anonymously or to mail it to original poster. The latter case, unless the
original poster posts it for you, means that most people don't see what you
say.

>But, another, more
>important, objection, is that your employer/administrator is, in most cases,
>providing you with the opportunity to use the net in the first place. It
>seems quite underhanded, ungrateful, and highly inappropriate to abuse that
>opportunity by posting articles you or your employer/administrator might be
>ashamed of, or for which you have any reason to fear possible repercussions
>(legal, social, or other).
>
>If you have something to say, say it well and take the responsibility -
>identify yourself!

Some people don't have that opportunity. Certain places such as
Universities sometimes restrict netnews to read-only for students to
minimize excessive volume of postings. Worse, some institutions restrict
the content of postings-- we have documented cases of people getting in
serious trouble because certain people at a site disagreed with something
that was posted. People in a paranoid environment learn quickly that
posting certain discussions isn't a good idea-- anonymous postings allow
them to get around that when used properly. In a fair environment most of
the need for anonymous postings is obviated-- unfortunately we aren't even
close to that in reality.

One of the first strong reasons for anonymous postings was net.motss, where
some people were afraid of retribution if they came out of the closet.
While it is hoped that usenet is above the petty bigotry of the rest of the
world, it isn't always the case, unfortunately.

>I also maintain that a public, worldwide computer bulletin board network is
>hardly the forum in which to make "sensitive self-revelations," annonymously
>or otherwise. I suspect that, at some time in the not-too-distant future,
>many netters may very well bitterly regret some of their public soul-searching
>(which, in some cases, borders on exhibitionism).

Probably, but at the same time, many of these same people have been helped
by people on the net to resolve some of their personal problems-- either by
others on the net who care about them, or simply because getting it into
the open allows them to deal with it themselves. That's a personal choice
that each person makes-- how open to be on what is essentially a large
party line.

>As they seek employment,
>academic contacts, etc., these netters may find, to their utter and permanent
>chagrin, that a possibly bizarre and often quite undesirable reputation has
>preceded them. The ability to post articles annonymously does NOT solve this
>problem - it exacerbates it by legitimatizing excesses and irresponsibility
>which should never appear on the net anyway. While realizing the futility of
>protecting people from themselves, everyone should work together to make
>the net an environment in which common sense, intelligence, and moderation
>prevail.

Good luck-- these things happen, of course. I'm always keeping an eye out
for resumes with names of people I recognize and respect off the net.
Realistically, it takes a lot more for me to remember a name I DON'T want
to hire off the net. Posting anonymously isn't a one person situation,
there is usually someone like a moderator involved as well, and I know that
I'm a lot more critical about the appropriateness of an anonymous posting
(and why it is being posted anonymously) than I am about normal postings.
It isn't legitimatizing excesses and irresponsibility, it is shifting the
responsbility somewhat to someone other than the author-- the poster or
moderator. Most anonymous articles I've seen tend to be even better thought
out than regular articles.

>On a related subject of somewhat lesser importance...
>I also object to the gratuitous alteration of header information, even when
>such alteration seems innocuous or just silly, rather than indicating any
>real attempt to conceal one's true identity.
>Examples:    (Leo Buscaglia @ your nearest bookstore)
>             (Dish of the Day @ The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)
>             (? @ inside a linked list)

that question mark is 'flidais', BTW. As someone who does modify header
information, I'm irritated by your use of the word 'gratuitous'. Any
feature can and will be used to excess, but I have very valid reasons for
using 'Cheshire Chuqui' @ 'The Bistro' (or whatever I'm using this week)
instead of 'Chuq Von Rospach' @ 'National Semiconductor'. First, I'm
disassociating myself from national because a lot of my work on the net is
mine, not National's, and the opinions and time are mine. I don't want my
screwups and blunders to be taken as negative inferences on National as
much as possible-- I won't be completely successful until I get onto my own
machine, of course, but until then I do what I can. the other reason is
that I feel that the personalizing touch says something about me, and
anything I can do to depersonalize this network is a step in the right
direction. It is much too easy to forget that all of those random accounts
out there (with a few exceptions) are people, not just anonymous things to
flame at blindly.

chuq
--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  This plane is equipped with 4 emergency exits, at the front and back of
  the plane and two above the wings. Please note that the plane will be
  travelling at an average altitude of 31,000 feet, so any use of these
  exits in an emergency situation will most likely be futile.

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (11/20/84)

I agree with Tony Robison.

There is a parallel discussion about this subject going on in fa.telecom
right now, pretaining to anonymous postings to BBS's and the legal issues
about who is or is not responsible for them.  While I don't think the
issues are clear cut, there has been at least one instance where the
police have seized a system because a credit card number was anonymously
posted on that system.

The erewhon case has shown that for those who know how the net works,
it is indeed possible to post a forged message that can't be traced.
We have no way to stop such postings.  However, if we encourage anonymous
postings, we are potentially liable when someone advocates an illegal
activity anonymously.

If you really want to post something anonymously (and I do believe there
are newsgroups where this makes sense) you should go through a moderator
who knows who you are.  This moderator presumably will ensure that the
message is not going to get somebody sued before posting it.  If there
is a legal problem with a message, the moderator can cancel it, and can
direct authorities to the person who posted it.  (I really hope it never
comes down to this, but the moderator shouldn't be the one sued.)

Up until now, people have used good sense and not posted things that are
obviously illegal.  If we all continue this way, we won't have problems.
However, it would be a mistake to set up software to encourage anonymous
postings, since that would open the door for an arrest or lawsuit, and
it would be the system administrators who would be in trouble if it happened.

	Mark Horton

scott@normac.UUCP (Scott Bryan) (11/25/84)

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>I agree with Tony Robison.
>
>There is a parallel discussion about this subject going on in fa.telecom
>right now, pretaining to anonymous postings to BBS's and the legal issues
>about who is or is not responsible for them.  While I don't think the
>issues are clear cut, there has been at least one instance where the
>police have seized a system because a credit card number was anonymously
>posted on that system.

By anonymous postings I meant that a PO BOX system should be used
that, if necessary for legal/ethical reasons, could reveal the true
identity of the individual, but that would otherwise protect/allow
more open discourse.  I believe you see the potential benefits.

>The erewhon case has shown that for those who know how the net works,
>it is indeed possible to post a forged message that can't be traced.
>We have no way to stop such postings.  However, if we encourage anonymous
>postings, we are potentially liable when someone advocates an illegal
>activity anonymously.

I am unsure what you mean.  Is is that the user cannot be identified or
is it the originating machine or some combination of both?  It seems to
me that at least the persistent abuser would be easy to narrow down.
Besides, the argument is irrelevant since I have seen noone advocate
a system that would conceal all identity and leave no way for reply.

>If you really want to post something anonymously (and I do believe there
>are newsgroups where this makes sense) you should go through a moderator
>who knows who you are.

OK.  I would like to post some things anonymously and am willing to
"register" with a local moderator.  Here's where we need the software
to assist the monitor in re-routing the return mail.  I want to be
able to get direct Mail replies.  I think it is unreasonable to expect
a moderator to do all of this.

>Up until now, people have used good sense and not posted things that are
>obviously illegal.  If we all continue this way, we won't have problems.
>However, it would be a mistake to set up software to encourage anonymous
>postings, since that would open the door for an arrest or lawsuit, and
>it would be the system administrators who would be in trouble if it happened.
>	Mark Horton

I would like you to reconsider your closing paragraph.
Anonymous postings is a mechanism designed to disassociate the authors
person for his/her ideas.  Nothing more.  You could still reply to
particular people via Email but you wouldn't know who they were.

If anything this idea is more legally sound than the current system because
it would establish an official mapping between network PO Boxes
and the real people they are connected to.

Scott Bryan

ag5@pucc-k (Henry C. Mensch) (11/28/84)

<<>>

wendya@apollo.uucp (Wendy Alberts) writes:

>On a related subject of somewhat lesser importance...
>I also object to the gratuitous alteration of header information, even when
>such alteration seems innocuous or just silly, rather than indicating any
>real attempt to conceal one's true identity.
>Examples:    (Leo Buscaglia @ your nearest bookstore)
>             (Dish of the Day @ The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)
>             (? @ inside a linked list)

	I am also disturbed by your use of gratuituous (spelled correctly
or otherwise) here.  If you will take a moment to notice my userid, you
will see that it is somewhat lacking in personality.  There is *NO WAY*
that ag5 suggests that this account belongs to Henry Mensch (or anyone
else).  In addition, the path from this pucc site gets sufficiently
munged-up by the time it leaves Purdue that it becomes useless.

	By playing with those environment variables, I am able to
make my posting reflect a bit more of my personality.  (For your
information, the original settings which came with this userid are
NAME='mensch' ; ORGANIZATION='Purdue University Computing Center').
In addition, since much of the path header information is useless,
I do provide an informative signature file which indicates not only
a correct path, but my name, position, place of employment, backbone
sites which feed to our immediate "up-stream" site, and a pithy quote.
All this in five lines or so.

	I am not doing anything malicious like munging the header so
that articles are posted from kgbvax and the landofoz-vax.

	Since what I do with NAME and ORGANIZATION variables is
harmless, and since I do identify all of my postings with a
.signature at the end, I see no reason why I should *not* change
these variables to suit my desires.

Henry C. Mensch  |  User Confuser | Purdue University User Services
{ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax|seismo|allegra|cbosgd|harpo}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
                    "Season's Beatings!"  ;-}

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (11/29/84)

> the original settings which came with this userid are
> NAME='mensch' ; ORGANIZATION='Purdue University Computing Center').

After reading this, I immediately tried setting "ORGANIZATION" to my
true organization name (USAMC ALMSA), exporting it, and doing a postnews.
The header remained as it has always been (see above). I am a guest at
Ballistics Research Labs, and wanted to put in my real activity name.
It doesn't seem to work in this fashion. Is the referenced set of
variables something local to the writer's shop, or should they be
effective net-wide?

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/01/84)

> > the original settings which came with this userid are
> > NAME='mensch' ; ORGANIZATION='Purdue University Computing Center').
>
> After reading this, I immediately tried setting "ORGANIZATION" to my
> true organization name (USAMC ALMSA), exporting it, and doing a postnews.
> The header remained as it has always been (see above)....

Before posting this, i exited fropm vnews, did a
		setenv ORGANIZATION "ICE STATION ZEBRA
and got back in to vnews. It works for me.
--
Fred Avolio, DEC -- U{LTR,N}IX Support
301/731-4100 x4227

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (12/04/84)

> > > the original settings which came with this userid are
> > > NAME='mensch' ; ORGANIZATION='Purdue University Computing Center').
> >
> > After reading this, I immediately tried setting "ORGANIZATION" to my
> > true organization name (USAMC ALMSA), exporting it, and doing a postnews.
> > The header remained as it has always been (see above)....
>
> Before posting this, i exited fropm vnews, did a
> 		setenv ORGANIZATION "ICE STATION ZEBRA
> and got back in to vnews. It works for me.
> --
> Fred Avolio, DEC -- U{LTR,N}IX Support

What I had tried originally was the plain old VARIABLE=value and exporting
that works on TERM, NEWSARCHIVE, and suchlike variables. It doesn't seem
to do anything. On this system, "setenv" is "not found" unless I do a "csh"
first, and I really didn't want to bother with a lower-running shell just
to read news. "set", by itself, lists a lot of variables and their values,
including both those I set in my .profile and others, set I suppose as
system defaults. I tried "set ORGANIZATION "USAMC ALMSA"" but saw no effect
from this, either without or with a following "export ORGANIZATION" command.
"man set" and "man setenv" get nothing here, so I am working in the dark.

I'll try putting the ORGANIZATION="USAMC ALMSA" and "export ORGANIZATION"
in my .profile and see if that helps.

(This system runs the BRL version of 4.2 BSD, if that helps determine
what variant of this variable-setting business should work.)

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

rh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Randy Haskins) (12/04/84)

I find all of the following annoying:
1. Anonymous postings
2. Alteration of the header info
3. Signatures that are frequently longer than the articles
4. No signatures at all

Now, I'm not a serious guy.  In fact, there are probably a bunch of
people who don't think I'm ever serious enough about anything.  But
there's no need to have to be funny in the header or signature.  If
people want to be funny, be funny in the article.  If you shouldn't
be funny in the article in the particular group, then why should you
be funny in the header or signature?  As far as anonymous postings
and lack of signature, I just have this little thing about me:  I
like to have some handle on the person I'm "listening" or "talking"
to.  I realize that I'm not going to have a good picture of a person
just because I know their name, but when I see names, I can associate
messages and their tones with names, and after a while, I know how
people feel and think.  This is especially useful, since it gives
further hints as to when to exercise the 'n' key.  As much as I
am "into" computers, I am equally "into" people, so I want more than
a username to be able to associate with people.  The usual comments
about this being basically a new form of communication that the
social fabric doesn't know how to deal with apply here.  I actually
think it's pretty exciting to be involved in this new form of
communication that will undoubtedly be the shape of things to come.
That's why I think we should be a little more serious about some
things.  Think about what you do when you use the phone: if the
person you are calling doesn't already know who you are, you usually
identify yourself, right?  Why should this be any different?

(If there's no signature here, it's because something didn't read
my .signature file...)
--
Randwulf  (Randy Haskins);  Path= genrad!mit-eddie!rh

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (12/06/84)

>  				 As far as anonymous postings
>  and lack of signature, I just have this little thing about me:  I
>  like to have some handle on the person I'm "listening" or "talking"
>  to.
----------
Sure, it's always better to have all the information you can about the
speaker, especially when you're dealing with a narrow bandwidth medium
like a terminal screen.

But there are times when what is said is more important than who is
saying it and there are times when something cannot be said openly.
I think anonymous postings are overused but I also think you can't
have the degree of freedom I want to see on the net if you don't
allow them.

scott preece
ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (12/09/84)

Here is a way to get NAME and ORGANIZATION variables into your postings:

If you are using /bin/sh, put these lines into your .profile:

export NAME ORGANIZATION
NAME="the name you want to be called"  (use quotes if you intend to leave
whitespace in the text)
ORGANIZATION="whatever organization, real or imagined, you wish to be asso-
ciated with"

To actually get these into your new environment, you must either log out and
log back in again, or type:

. .profile

at the shell command level.  (Note:  if your PATH does not include ., you may
have to type . ./.profile.)

If you are using csh, put these into your .cshrc (.login is ok, I guess, if
you're on 4.? BSD):

setenv NAME "something or other"
setenv ORGANIZATION "something else"

You'll have to do a source .login after you're done, or type them to csh.

It works for me.  Good luck.  If those don't work, your machine has probably
hard-wired NAME and ORGANIZATION into inews, and the getenv() calls were
commented out.

Good luck.
--
			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

kay@flame.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (12/15/84)

[my, that was a yummy bug-fix]

Greg Skinner says in <1021@houxm.UUCP>:

>To actually get (NAME & ORGANIZATION) into your new environment, you
>must either log out and log back in again ....

Or, of course, just type the NAME=..., ORGANIZATION=... and export ...
stuff to the shell if you just want a this-time change.

							Kay.
--
"But what we need to know is, do people want nasally-insertable computers?"
			... mcvax!ukc!flame!kay