[net.news.group] net.music

ark@rabbit.UUCP (06/29/83)

Perhaps it's time to split net.music into (roughly) classical
and popular.

ellis@flairvax.UUCP (06/30/83)

    Regarding a recent suggestion to split net.music into classical and
    popular -- there don't seem to have been many articles at all about
    classical music. The most frequent mention to classical lately is
    in net.audio, usually about hi-tech issues of stuff like Wellington's
    Victory and the 1812 Overture.

    Perhaps a better split would be between commercial/mass oriented music
    that's "really climbing the charts this week" and, well, just music.
    We could call them 'net.music.$$$' vs. 'net.music.???'.

    The $$$ group would be used for articles about Human League, Men at Work,
    Barry Manilow, Hooked on XXX, DISCOfied jazz, top forty anything, and
    other stuff you can play at parties**.

    The ??? group would receive articles ranging from anonymous 9th century
    composers to aging blues singers, and would encompass such topics as
    Surgical Penis Clinic, Tennstedt's latest Mahler release, Cabaret
    Voltaire, John Coltrane, Millions of Dead Cops... you know, stuff
    that empties out a room in 5 seconds flat leaving you in blissful
    solitude.

    Well, it's just another idea.

    Michael Ellis - Fairchild AI Lab - Palo Alto CA - (415) 858-4270

    ** (not MY parties)

9212osd@houxa.UUCP (06/30/83)

I second the suggestion of splitting net.music along the lines
of classical music and popular music.

woods@hao.UUCP (06/30/83)

   I agree. Subgroups were designed to help people save time filtering out
articles. Why *not* have a net.music.punk, net.music.rock, net.music.class,
net.music.jazz, etc.? The number of articles in net.music is getting so high
I almost don't have time to wade through the group any more. With the advent
of 2.10 and the "U" command, there is no reason not to have lots of groups.

                        GREG
 {ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!brl-bmd | harpo!seismo | menlo70}
       		        !hao!woods

ellis@flairvax.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (07/02/83)

    As a serious classical music listener, I REJECT the concept that there
    exists a split between 'classical' and 'popular' music, except possibly
    in the minds of a few elitist egomaniacs and fashion mongers.

    If the split is to occur anywhere, let's not use such an inaccurate
    terminology as 'classical' vs. 'popular'. Sounds like what you really
    mean is 'dead' vs. 'alive'.

	      still listening to people who are both dead and ALIVE

		 Michael Ellis - Fairchild AI Lab - Palo Alto CA

ucbesvax.turner@ucbcad.UUCP (07/05/83)

#R:rabbit:-164200:ucbesvax:6600001:000:151
ucbesvax!turner    Jul  3 08:16:00 1983

	And how about net.music.genesis, just to handle the misty-eyed
reminiscers from this band's cult-following?

	Michael Turner
	ucbvax!ucbesvax.turner

chabot@miles.DEC (L S Chabot) (03/21/85)

Frankly, I thought Rich Rosen's posting to be pretty funny.  (Maybe I get a
wider bandwidth on my terminal than some do, because I find a lot of his
witty postings amusing even if I seriously disagree with his viewpoint.)

Dick Dunn  ==  >
> (D'Heads are always out to make converts.:-)

This and the comment about discussing non-music topics makes me wonder if
perhaps you aren't barking up the wrong newsgroup, and that what really this
newsgroup really wants to be is something like
		net.music.religion
	or	net.religion.dead
	or	net.way_of_life.dead

:-)

But seriously, all the stress on how readers of net.music "MIGHT" be annoyed by
a lot of dead traffic seems rather to indicate that it's not the net.music
people who care as much as those who wish to now receive their dead undiluted.

L S Chabot
UUCP:	...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot
ARPA:	...chabot%amber.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
USWail:    DEC, LMO4/H4, 150 Locke Drive, Marlborough, MA  01752

ll9001@ucsfcca.UUCP (Larry Roszkowiak) (08/31/85)

How about a news group for net.music.guitar?  Since the guitar is probably
the most popular musical instrument in the US right now (and has been for
quite some time and possibly will be for some time in the future) guitar
players are constantly seeking new media through which they can contact
each other and exchange information.

                                           Larry Roszkowiak
                                           UCSF Computer Center
                                UUCP: ucbvax!ucsfcgl!ucsfcca.UCSF!ll9001

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (09/04/85)

In article <405@ucsfcca.UUCP> ll9001@ucsfcca.UUCP (Larry Roszkowiak) writes:
>How about a news group for net.music.guitar?  Since the guitar is probably
>the most popular musical instrument in the US right now (and has been for
>quite some time and possibly will be for some time in the future) guitar
>players are constantly seeking new media through which they can contact
>each other and exchange information.

If all you want to do is contact each other, start a mailing list.

--
Gene "3 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332