[comp.windows.x] GIPSI x-terminal

rsj@crane.aa.ox.com (Rick Jaffe) (06/01/90)

In article <9005301245.AA29274@zit.cigy.> jcp@cgch.UUCP (Joseph C. Pistritto) writes:
>Is anyone out there using these?  They come from France by
>the way.  Supposedly quite quick.  I'd like to hear from
>people who have any of their terminals on site and in use.

For a couple of days I've been using a Le tX which we got on
evaluation from Peripherals Design, Inc.  Because it's French, I'm not
sure if I should call it "a Le tX" or "le tX", i.e., "the" tX, so I'll
just choose one.  The Le tX comes with a 19" 1280x960 monochrome
monitor.  Other models have color.

It's a rather boxy looking thing whose cpu case is about the size of a
Sun 3/50's.

Here are my initial impressions:

good:
====
. quiet
. monitor  tilt and swivel
. multiple heads are *rumored* to be available in a couple of months.
           This feature is important to us, and is the main reason we
           wanted to try out the Le tX.
. technical support:  The gentleman (who is French) we've been
                      speaking with at Peripheral Designs is
                      knowledgeable, friendly, and available.

adequate:
========
. keyboard: standard pc keyboard from Maxi.  Of course, for a Unix
            programmer the escape key is too far away.
. mouse:    standard pc mouse from Mouse Systems.
. monitor - although I think it flickers a hair more than my 3/50
            (which doesn't, as far as I can tell).  But it's a *lot*
            better than a DECstation 3100.
. setup
. onsite service is *rumored* to become available in the near future.

bad:
===
. manual:  Actually, it might be fine, but I have trouble reading
           French.  Peripheral Designs didn't warn me about this - it
           came as a surprise.
. slow:    It's too slow.  I'm waiting for Peripheral Designs to
           answer my question as to whether a new software release in
           the works.
. floppy:  The cpu case isn't supported in the middle.  With the
           monitor resting on the cpu case, then if someone clumps
           into my office the monitor can act as a linear damped
           harmonic oscillator (i.e., you get a noticeable bounce).

other:
=====
. fonts:  It's got all of the R4 fonts, but I wish it had the older
          fonts I like to use on my 3/50, e.g.,  vtbold, screen.b.12.

The Le tX is a perfectly adequate machine.  It's slowness is the main
irritation.  I'm not impressed enough to buy.  I really like my NCD
(but NCD has no interest in multiple heads).  I can't compare it to a
VT1000: we had to return ours because it had only a thinnet port and
we couldn't plug it in to our twisted pair ethernet.  We also have a
3/50 running the Xkernal from Columbia University, which effectively
turns a 3/50 into an x-terminal, and it seems fine.  Sun 3/50's have
(*not* the most reliable but) the best keyboard and monitor I've ever
used.

--
USMail:   Ocwen Trading, Inc., 101 N. Main, Suite 410, Ann Arbor, MI  48104
Phone:	  +1 313 930-1888	FAX:	+1 313 930-6636