[comp.windows.x] Does Xtk allow widget reparenting

ham@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) (05/26/90)

Off the top of my head, I thought that Xtk allows widget reparenting,
but I couldn't find out how do this, Can I respecify a widget's parent
after creation?  If so, how? Is reparenting of widgets and important
issue?  I'm not sure when I'd want to do it, but a friend mentioned
that it was a significant feature.
--
Peter Ham			PO Box 3430	(h)(415) 322-4390
MS Computer Science Student	Stanford, CA	ham@cs.stanford.edu

ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin Ellsworth) (05/26/90)

> Off the top of my head, I thought that Xtk allows widget reparenting,

"Off with his head!"

> but I couldn't find out how do this, Can I respecify a widget's parent
> after creation?  If so, how? Is reparenting of widgets and important
> issue?

Reparenting has been done under Xt (an HP X widget does it), but it is
not a supported feature (i.e. no guarantees that the next release won't
break you).

Unless you are creating an IDT (jargon for Interactive Design Tool),
it's probably not too important.  If you are creating and IDT, it would
be a really handy feature to have.

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben@cv.hp.com                | INTERNET
Hewlett-Packard Company | {backbone}!hplabs!hp-pcd!ben | UUCP
1000 N.E. Circle        | (USA) (503) 750-4980         | FAX
Corvallis, OR 97330     | (USA) (503) 757-2000         | VOICE
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (05/30/90)

> Off the top of my head, I thought that Xtk allows widget reparenting,
> but I couldn't find out how do this, Can I respecify a widget's parent
> after creation?

No.

As a previous poster stated there are ways to hack around this restriction, but
you really don't want to.  The major problem comes in the area of resources.
Since resources depend on where in the widget tree this widget is located and
they are loaded at creation time, you will end up with one seriously confused
user if you reparent your widgets.  His resources will be all confused.

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium

Net:	 kit@expo.lcs.mit.edu
Phone:   (617) 253 - 9608
Address: MIT - Room NE43-213

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (05/30/90)

In article <9005291803.AA20292@expo.lcs.mit.edu> kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) writes:

>> Off the top of my head, I thought that Xtk allows widget reparenting,
>
>No.
>
>As a previous poster stated there are ways to hack around this restriction, but
>you really don't want to.  The major problem comes in the area of resources.
(.... text deleted ...)

   Plus think about constraint widgets, where the constraint record
   is defined by the parent. How do you create a new one when reparenting
   to a constraint widget ?

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM

meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) (06/01/90)

ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin Ellsworth) writes:

|Reparenting has been done under Xt (an HP X widget does it), but it is
|not a supported feature (i.e. no guarantees that the next release won't
|break you).

|Unless you are creating an IDT (jargon for Interactive Design Tool),
|it's probably not too important.  If you are creating and IDT, it would
|be a really handy feature to have.

Actually, in a cut & paste environment of any sort, it's handy.

-Miles

Miles O'Neal                                                         rsiatl!meo