[comp.windows.x] Creating a "Dynamic" Athena Viewport Widget

nortonc@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Charles Norton) (06/01/90)

Hello, I have an application where it would be useful to have a
viewport widget with the following characteristic.

        * As the activity within the viewport evolves, the viewport
          would automatically follow the action, as in a tracking
          system, by adjusting its child.

i.e. Normally, the scrollbars are used to adjust the field of view,
however, I would like the viewport to adjust its child so that the
activity is always visible. (I can guarantee that irregular situations,
such as the activity evolving in more than one direction at once, will
never occur).

I have a moderate level of experience with X, but I do not know how to
achieve this effect. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I will
summarize the responses to the newsgroup. Thanks very much!

	--Charles

e-mail: nortonc@turing.cs.rpi.edu

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (06/02/90)

In article <BM-$5=-@rpi.edu>, nortonc@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Charles Norton)
writes:
> Hello, I have an application where it would be useful to have a
> viewport widget with the following characteristic.
>
>         * As the activity within the viewport evolves, the viewport
>           would automatically follow the action, as in a tracking
>           system, by adjusting its child.

Only the child widget knows where the activity is.  You could have the
child widget do a SetValues on the viewport to change the view area.
If your viewport widget doesn't already support programatic control,
you can easily add through by subclassing.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee