[comp.windows.x] X-Windows

peter@arizona.edu@catuc.UUCP (02/06/87)

We'd like to get a copy of X-windows. Can you tell us how?

Thanks
Peter Collins, Computer Automation, Inc.

jg@jumbo.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <8702061621.AA05850@arizona.arizona.edu> peter@arizona.edu@catuc.UUCP writes:

>We'd like to get a copy of X-windows. Can you tell us how?
>
>Thanks
>Peter Collins, Computer Automation, Inc.

Release 4 of the X window system is now available, based on V10 of the
X protocol.  This is the LAST release of X based on V10 of the
protocol; work is progressing steadily on the Version 11
implementation and you may expect to hear from us in a few months
about this.

This release will run on the Digital VS-1, VS-2, VS-2/RC under Ultrix
1.2, the DEC VS100 under 4.3BSD, most Sun Microsystems workstations
under 3.0, Apollo Computer workstations under 9.2, Integrated
Solutions workstations under 3.07, and the IBM RT/PC under ACIS 4.2A
release 2 (Not under AIX).  X is also being commercially supported and
sold by a number of computer manufacturers; you should contact them
for availability.  MIT does not "support" this distribution; however
bugs and fixes and new code are gratefully accepted.

This release also includes 3 user interface toolkits for developers who
may need to use one before Version 11.  Please read the files Toolkit/README
and Toolkit/preface before making wide use of these.

To order a distribution, send a CHECK for U.S. $100 to:

	MIT Microcomputer Center
	MIT 11-209
	77 Massachusetts Avenue
	Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02139
	(617) 253-6325

Purchase orders will NOT be accepted.  The distribution will come on a
single 9 track 1600BPI tape written in Unix tar(1) format, along with
a single copy of printed documentation.  Other distribution media or
formats are NOT available.

Distributions are also available from "zap.mit.edu" (18.72.0.126) on
the Internet, via anonymous FTP.

			MEMORANDUM

To: Users of the X version 10 release 4 tape

Subject: user interface toolkit availability

Since the last release of the X Window System, there have been several
groups working on programmer's toolkits, layered above Xlib.  There
is a recognized need for more functions that provide common user
interface building blocks for applications, of which XMenu was a
start.

M.I.T has received copies of several such `user interface toolkits' in
the past month.  There is considerable similarity in these projects;
i.e. they all offer the most common `widgets'; titlebars, scrollbars,
command buttons, etc.  Each has some particular feature that may
make it more suitable for a particular application than the others.

We would prefer to have a single unified toolkit that combines all the
best features of these several examples (and some ideas that we
haven't yet seen implemented), and we are starting a process with the
various implementors to work toward that goal.  In the meantime, we
are distributing the existing toolkits as `user-contributed
software' so that developers don't have to re-invent as many wheels.
Of course, those of you building commercial products may wish to take
appropriate measures to insure future supportability of your products.
Each of the toolkits in this distribution is distributed with source.

We know that there are many of you out there faced with the decision
whether or not to implement your own toolkit before you can write that
favorite application.  The toolkits that are on the distribution
tape will save many of you a great deal of effort in implementing user
interfaces, but we do want to caution you to expect these toolkits to
change as we progress to our goal of convergence.

	Changes from release 3 to release 4 of X

There is device dependent code for the Apollo, Integrated Solutions,
and IBM RT/PC displays.  The Sun implementation has been improved,
but is not yet complete.  The IBM RT/PC implementation has a
reasonably complete implementation which could be used to fill out
the Sun graphics implementation, but we had no manpower to do so.

Release 4 of the system will be the LAST based on Version 10 of the
X protocol.

New:
	libapollo	device dependent code for Apollo workstations
			Our thanks to the Mark Swanson at the
			University of Utah and Doug Orr for this work.
			Due to problems in Apollo's preprocessor,
			installation may be painful.

	libibm		device dependent code for IBM RT/PC
			workstation.  Our thanks to Daniel Stone,
			Mike Braca, Dave Bundy at Brown University
			IRIS for this work. NOTE: This runs under
			IBM ACIS 4.2 Release 2 ONLY, not under AIX.

	libsun		device dependent code for the SUN workstations.
			Thanks to Paul Borman of Cray Research for the
			latest keyboard fixes.

	libis		device dependent code for Integrated Solutions
			display.

	xtrek		addictive game; requires shared memory, so not
			all machines can run it, though all can participate.
			Blame Chris Guthrie (chris@ic.berkeley.edu).

	showimg		nice imageing program for color displays.
			primarily here to give examples.

	xcolors		program to help figure out what colors to use

	xperfmon	performance monitor for Unix.

	Toolkit		3 user interface toolkits for prototyping
			purposes.  Thanks to John Osterhaut at Berkeley
			for Sx, Frank Hall's Corvallis Workstation Group
			in Hewlett-Packard for Xrlib and Ram Rao's
			engineering group in DEC for DECToolkit.

Improved:

	X		Bug fixes.  Not many, as server is very stable.
			Stipple fill, but not really blessed, as not
			available everywhere.

	Xlib		A few bug fixes, a few new routines.

	xterm		major new version courtesy of Ed Moy at Berkeley.
			Can you say "Kitchen Sink"?  Scrollbars,
			titlebars, 4015 emulation, etc.

	doc/Xlib	bug fixes.

	doc/Paper	TOG paper on X.  Explains much that has been
			obscure.

	man/*		updated for new arguments.

	XMenu		bug fixes in callback stuff.

	bitmap		line, circle drawing added.

	xwd xwud	improved to deal with color better.  No longer
			stores images off screen, so works all the
			time on implementations with little offscreen memory.

Enjoy!
					23-Dec-1986
					Jim Gettys
					Ralph R. Swick
					MIT Project Athena

idall@augean.OZ.AU.UUCP (05/01/87)

I have read a little about X-windows in the network news but my understanding
of what it is is a bit fuzzy. Any information would be appreciated but
I would in particular like to know:

	1) What it can do. Presumably it manages windows  (!) Does it
	   provide a user interface to for example create, move, remove
	   and change the size of windows, or is it a more primative
	   layer which a user interface can sit on top of? Does it define
	   a graphics interface so that graphics applications can be written
	   for X with no further knowlege of the hardware involved?

	2) What Unices it works under and how difficult it would be to
	   port it to others.

	3) How dependant it is on the graphics hardware and whether it
	   is difficult to port it to different hardware.

	4) How much software is available for X.

I have a NS ICM 3216 based system which I would like to run X or something
similar on. I have not acquired any graphics hardware yet so the need is
not all that urgent!

Thanks.

	Ian Dall
	Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
	University of Adelaide
	GPO Box 498
	Adelaide    5001
	AUSTRALIA

	Email: idall@augean.OZ

dgeiger@DECWRL.DEC.COM (Dorothy Geiger) (10/11/88)

I need some information on X-Windows (X-11) in the MS-DOS environment
and was told that you might be able to help me out.  I have a friend
who is currently operating in an MS-DOS environment and will eventually
be moving to a UNIX environment.  He's currently developing some
applications for which X-11 would seem appropriate, and would like to
get a look at it (in his current MS-DOS) environment and potentially
begin developing applications which would be portable to the UNIX
environment.

Could you perhaps provide pointers to a.) reading materials; b.) products/
implementations available in the MS-DOS environment; c.) general utility/
robustness/implementation quality?  Any information/pointers/help would
be greatly appreciated.

Please send replys to dgeiger@decwrl.dec.com, since the friend in question
has yet to enter the world of electronic communications.

Thanks much!!

dorothy geiger

mlau@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Milton Lau) (01/03/90)

Hi!

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the HP version of
X-Windows Server software for MSDOS conectivity to HPUX windows ?
I know there is a PC-Xsight by Locus but I am looking for the
HP version that I know exists. Don't know the Part number or
where to get it. DOes anybody know ??

Thanks in advance,
mlau@hpspcoi.hp.com

- another day, another doller -

) (06/04/90)

I've been using X Windows R3 with awm for a couple of months now and
generally I think its an improvment over SunView but:

1.	How do I get xterm to use an icon that i've made using the bitmap
editor?  With Sunview I had various (DIY) icons for my shell and command tools,
I'd like to do this with X.

2.	Is it possible to use a different screen saver? I quite like the idea of
having xfish come up in inverse after no screen activity for say 5 minutes.
(its a shame thats I can't run it as my background, but on a Sun 3/50 with
only 4 MBytes -- Leave it out Jon!)

3.	Are there any other window managers in the public domain (awm?) which
look/feel a bit jazzier than awm (Someone on site has Sun's NeWS but it
sure shags his machine, but the interface looks quite natty... good
even!).

4.	Have I posted this to the wrong newsgroup (its my first posting)

5	Is there any where else where I can look for X begginers stuff??

Answers please on the back of a camel to the geezer at the bottom here.
The 1st 100 lucky winners draw out of a hat get to have any two members
of the cast of Neighbours, Corination Street or Dallas impaled on a
sharp spikey thingey of their choice..

JUstin Myatt				Remember: "Kippers of the
Monotype International Software		world unite, you have nothing
Salfords, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5JP	to loose bar your Soles!"
England...				Tel: +44 737 768644