[comp.windows.x] String to Pixmap resource converter ?

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (06/01/90)

     A few weeks ago, I noticed a discussion about what pixelmap file
     format should be used for a "standard" StringToPixmap converter.
     Somehow, I missed any conclusion. Can anyone referesh me on the
     subject, or (better) mail me an implemented converter ?
    (I want to include it in the next release of WsXc, but have no time
     to reinvent the wheel).

     By the way. Some resources, such as Bitmap or Pixmaps, are pretty
     big to be imbedded in app-defaults (and loaded and cached by Mrm).
     So keeping those in a separate file is often right.
     On the other hand, if I use a bunch of very small icons, I don't
     want to have a bunch of files floating around. Thus, I would
     suggest that the resource value can
     - either be imbeded in resource file (app-defaults etc.) directly
     - or be a file reference: @foo[/keyword].
     It would be nice if Xrm could support something like that in general
     fashion(-), but for now we can implement this functionality at the
     resource converter level.
--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (06/02/90)

In article <1179@auto-trol.UUCP>, marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin
Brunecky) writes:
>      A few weeks ago, I noticed a discussion about what pixelmap file
>      format should be used for a "standard" StringToPixmap converter.
>      Somehow, I missed any conclusion.

I missed that discussion, but Xmu has a string-to-bitmap converter and
a create pixmap from bitmap utility.  The string is a file name
containing data in bitmap(1) format.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (06/06/90)

In article <4621@bacchus.dec.com> klee@wsl.dec.com writes:

>I missed that discussion, but Xmu has a string-to-bitmap converter and
>a create pixmap from bitmap utility.  The string is a file name
>containing data in bitmap(1) format.
>
>Ken Lee

     Sorry, Ken. What I am looking for is a String-to-pixmap converter,
     i.e. one that also understands color definitions. Something similar
     to UIL pixmap definition, for us who hate UIL.