[comp.windows.x] Why we bought SLC's instead of Visuals or NCDs

wytten@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dale Wyttenbach) (06/07/90)

> Were there any other important issues that influenced your decision?

Our main reason for buying the SLC's probably falls under the
versatility category.  If we bought X-terminals, all the X clients
would have to be run on some existing CS dept CPU - almost certainly
umn-cs since people prefer it.  umn-cs is a 6 processor Sequent S-27
with 32MB of RAM and 140MB of swap space.  Right now, umn-cs runs
out of virtual memory when we get about 70 users on, and the active
processes include say 20 xterms, 10 emacs, 10 xloads, 10 xbiffs,
etc.  We need to educate users to run X clients on their local
workstation instead of umn-cs.  For example, if everyone used
'xterm -e rlogin umn-cs' instead of 'rcmd umn-cs xterm' it would
help a lot.  Obviously people can't run clients locally if they have
an X-terminal on their desk.

One of the most basic resources we provide is CPU cycles.  For about
the same price as either an NCD-19 or a Visual-19, you can add a lot of
CPU cycles to your pool by buying an SLC instead.  Who knows how these
CPU cycles will be used 3 years from now, but they'll be available.

Comparing xbench results for the SLC vs. the NCD-19, the SLC won some
battles and lost others.  However, the NCD server is highly optimized,
and Xsun is not.  If and when Xsun is improved, I suspect that the
SLC would clobber existing X-terminals.

dale

 -
 Dale Wyttenbach		     |		...rutgers!umn-cs!wytten
 wytten@cs.umn.edu		     |		   wytten@umnacvx.bitnet
Computer Science Department Systems Staff--University of Minnesota, Minneapolis

de5@STC06.CTD.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun7.144309.29740@cs.umn.edu>, wytten@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dale Wyttenbach) writes:

>Our main reason for buying the SLC's probably falls under the
>versatility category.

Diskless workstations *are* more versatile, and in your case they were
probably the right way to go.  Others who are less constrained by
server horsepower and perhaps more constrained by network loading and
per-user cost would probably be better off with at least some
percentage of X terminals.

I used to think diskless workstations had it all over X terminals--
until I ran a diskless SPARCstation off my own SPARCstation.  The
administrative overhead(1), server burden(2), and increased network
throughput(3) have convinced me that that's not the way to go.

There are other considerations, too.  Workstation users have to be a
little more sophisticated, in general.  Someone needs to administer
the workstation, and you need to consider the problem of controlling
root access.

(1) setting up and maintaining diskful-server/diskless-client pairs is
substantially harder than hanging an X terminal off the Ethernet.

(2) my response time on the server was often frustratingly impacted by
the diskless client.  Contrast that with the NCD-16 I also used--it
never had a noticeable impact on the systems that served it, beyond
that inherent in the work being done.

(3) the NFS traffic on the Ethernet caused by the diskless box
accessing files--data and binaries--and swapping was sufficient to
cause clients *I* was running to hang/die.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)		These are my opinions.
Martin Marietta Energy Systems