[comp.windows.x] Help getting Xlib compiled on a SysV machine

draine@astro.Princeton.EDU (Bruce Draine) (06/06/90)

I am trying to compile X11R3 on a '386 running Interactive Systems'
Unix System V/386 release 3.2. I have bought their server, and am
now trying to build the X libraries (which would cost extra...).

After some slight agony I have got Xlib to compile, except for the
2 routines XConnDis.c and XlibInt.c -- both of which appear to be
infested with BSD dragons. In particular, I do not have TCP, and
no sockets or such like. XlibInt.c tries to use an FIONREAD ioctl
call, and my machine doesn't understand.

Does any one have copies of these two files that will help me out?
Or pointers to ways to proceed?

If there is sufficient interest I'll summarise to the net.

      	    	  Bruce Draine

      	    	  	(well, Robert Lupton actually but don't let
that stop you).

smithj@wsmav29.rtp.dg.com (John Smith) (06/07/90)

>I am trying to compile X11R3 on a '386 running Interactive Systems'
>Unix System V/386 release 3.2. I have bought their server, and am
>now trying to build the X libraries (which would cost extra...).

>After some slight agony I have got Xlib to compile, except for the
>2 routines XConnDis.c and XlibInt.c -- both of which appear to be
>infested with BSD dragons. In particular, I do not have TCP, and
>no sockets or such like. XlibInt.c tries to use an FIONREAD ioctl
>call, and my machine doesn't understand.

>Does any one have copies of these two files that will help me out?
>Or pointers to ways to proceed?

>If there is sufficient interest I'll summarise to the net.

>      	    	  Bruce Draine

>      	    	  	(well, Robert Lupton actually but don't let
>that stop you).

XConnDis.c and XlibInt.c are the Xlib network interface routines
to the server. All communications to/from the server/client are
implemented using either Unix Domain Sockets, TCP, or DecNet.

For this you need Unix BSD 4.2, unless your System V makes other
provisions.

Without socket capabability, you are hurting.

john a. smith
Data General Corp
RTP, NC

john@labtam.oz (John Carey) (06/08/90)

In article <1990Jun6.205750.13622@dg-rtp.dg.com>, smithj@wsmav29.rtp.dg.com (John Smith) writes:
> >I am trying to compile X11R3 on a '386 running Interactive Systems'
> >Unix System V/386 release 3.2. I have bought their server, and am
> >now trying to build the X libraries (which would cost extra...).

The answer here is to forget about X11R3 and use X11R4 with
STREAMSCONN turned on !!

You should NOT need TCP - but you can only clients run locally.
unless you have another TLI transport up your sleave that you have not told
us about

I have also published fixes to code on the net, as it has some nasty bugs as
distributed

					John Carey
					Labtam Information Systems Pty Ltd