[comp.windows.x] Multiple screen/display applications

rms@prefect.es.llnl.GOV (Robert M. Searfus) (06/02/90)

Has anyone solved a problem connecting multiple X displays together
with a single keyboard and mouse?  I am working on an application
where it would be desirable to control multiple crt displays (possibly
attached to separate workstations) from a single workstation.  The X11
protocol supports multiple screens, although I've only seen this work
on a Sun treating a cgfour framebuffer as monochrome and color
screens.  I seems conceivable to solve this problem at either the
server or window manager level.  I would be very interested in hearing
from anyone who has used (or is planning to use) X in an application
requiring more that one physical display monitor.

(bob) Robert M. Searfus
      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (06/04/90)

In article <9006012334.AA02822@prefect.es.llnl.gov>,
rms@prefect.es.llnl.GOV (Robert M. Searfus) writes:
> I would be very interested in hearing
> from anyone who has used (or is planning to use) X in an application
> requiring more that one physical display monitor.

There are a couple of different ways to do this:

1.  One CPU with 2 monitors.  DEC sells some machines like this.  I'm
sure other vendors do, too.  With this configuration, one X server
manages both displays, considering them to be separate screens.  The
application interacts with either screen through a single connection to
that X server.

2.  Two CPUs, each with 1 monitor.  This configuration is more
expensive, but more flexible.  Since each CPU will have it's own X
server, the application must create and manage separate connections to
each.  Since X supports networking, this is pretty simple to do.

Note:  I use the term CPU for lack of a better term.  It can be a
workstation, X terminal, or whatever.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

jg@zorch.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (06/05/90)

This reply is coming from a DECstation 5000/200 (aka 3MAX), with 3 screens
attached (CX), driven by a single X server.

We program announced support for such workstations last week;
coming soon to DS5000's near you.  This should be no particular
surprise to competitors, as it was demo'ed at the DS5000 annoucement in
April.

They are highly addictive, I will say :-).  Nothing like
real-estate.
				- Jim Gettys

ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin Ellsworth) (06/06/90)

I don't know of any applications which require multiple screens.

I work at an HP series 300 workstation configured with three screens
(three crts, one keyboard, one mouse); I really like the extra screen
space.  The configuration is simple to control (/usr/lib/X11/X0screens),
and it works quite well.  I also run a configuration of two displays
running from a single workstation.  One display having two crts and the
other having only one crt (both have their own keyboard and mouse).  I
find this configuration indispensible for testing.

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben@cv.hp.com                | INTERNET
Hewlett-Packard Company | {backbone}!hplabs!hp-pcd!ben | UUCP
1000 N.E. Circle        | (USA) (503) 750-4980         | FAX
Corvallis, OR 97330     | (USA) (503) 757-2000         | VOICE
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.

rlb@solstice.riacs.edu (Bob Brown) (06/11/90)

I use a Sun 3/160 with two screens (bwtwo0 and cgtwo0) and a single
server manages them as host:0.0 and host:0.1. As someone else said,
it's addictive.  No special software was needed; I just run xinit and
up it all comes.

Bob Brown
RIACS/NASA Ames