[comp.windows.x] Server configuration info

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (06/13/90)

In article <14201@diamond.BBN.COM>, mlandau@bbn.com (Matthew Landau) writes:

> Now I realize that in the ideal world for which X was designed, you
> wouldn't CARE what server is on the other end of an application,

	But there's a close equivalent where even in the ideal world
	you need to know some server configuration details.  I just
	stumbled across this in trying to sanitize my mods to GNU
	emacs for adequate function key support.

	When the client and server are on different machines,
	some clients NEED to know what keyboard layout or input
	devices are in use on the server machine.  In our case,
	we have one copy of emacs running on VAXes to serve users
	on assorted HP, Sun, TI, and Symbolics workstations.

	It was easy to modify emacs to load a separate setup file
	for each server architecture.  The problem is that there's
	currently no way in general to discover what the server's
	architecture is.  Even the various UNIX OS's don't have a
	standard way to get interrogate their machine's configuration.

	It sure would be helpful to have an XQueryServerArchitecture
	function, or better yet just more info in a Display structure.

Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu