[comp.windows.x] X11R4 on Sun 3/60 OS 3.5

"Steven_S._Kang.ESM8"@XEROX.COM (06/13/90)

I have run into some problems while trying to build  X11R4.   Everything has
been ok until the make install.   While trying to make install, the make
dies at compiling of sunCG3C.c because CG3AC_MONOLEN, CG3AC_ENBLEN,
CG3BC_MONOLEN, and CG3BC_ENBLEN are undefined.  _MAP_NEW is also not defined.
I have searched through the source code and have been unable to find their
definitiona anywhere.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David Brookler
Steve Kang
kang@arisia.xerox.com

ramani@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Ramani Pichumani) (06/14/90)

In article <900612-125843-4053@Xerox>, "Steven_S._Kang.ESM8"@XEROX.COM writes:
|> I have run into some problems while trying to build  X11R4.   Everything has
|> been ok until the make install.   While trying to make install, the make
|> dies at compiling of sunCG3C.c because CG3AC_MONOLEN, CG3AC_ENBLEN,
|> CG3BC_MONOLEN, and CG3BC_ENBLEN are undefined.  _MAP_NEW is also not
defined.
|> I have searched through the source code and have been unable to find their
|> definitiona anywhere.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
|>
|> Thanks in advance,
|>
|> David Brookler
|> Steve Kang
|> kang@arisia.xerox.com

I had the same problem while building X11R4 on our Sun 3's running 3.4.  Since
we were't using the CG3 board, I just defined these macros to be 0 and
everything
worked okay.  Since we don't own or plan to acquire any color Sun 3's, I figure
it's a safe solution for us.  I wish someone at Sun could explain why this
error is present in the first place.

Ramani Pichumani                              Tel: (415) 723-2902 or 723-2437
Department of Computer Science                            Fax: (415) 725-7411
Margaret Jacks Hall, Room 308             email: ramani@patience.stanford.edu
Stanford, CA 94305 USA                     uunet!patience.stanford.edu!ramani

jdn@europa.Eng.Sun.COM (Jeff Nisewanger) (06/16/90)

In article <1990Jun13.201237.24243@Neon.Stanford.EDU> ramani@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Ramani Pichumani) writes:
>In article <900612-125843-4053@Xerox>, "Steven_S._Kang.ESM8"@XEROX.COM writes:
>|> I have run into some problems while trying to build  X11R4.   Everything has
>|> been ok until the make install.   While trying to make install, the make
>|> dies at compiling of sunCG3C.c because CG3AC_MONOLEN, CG3AC_ENBLEN,
>|> CG3BC_MONOLEN, and CG3BC_ENBLEN are undefined.  _MAP_NEW is also not
>defined.
>|> I have searched through the source code and have been unable to find their
>|> definitiona anywhere.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>|>
>|> Thanks in advance,
>|>
>|> David Brookler
>|> Steve Kang
>|> kang@arisia.xerox.com
>
>I had the same problem while building X11R4 on our Sun 3's running 3.4.  Since
>we were't using the CG3 board, I just defined these macros to be 0 and
>everything
>worked okay.  Since we don't own or plan to acquire any color Sun 3's, I figure
>it's a safe solution for us.  I wish someone at Sun could explain why this
>error is present in the first place.
>

>Ramani Pichumani                              Tel: (415) 723-2902 or 723-2437
>Department of Computer Science                            Fax: (415) 725-7411
>Margaret Jacks Hall, Room 308             email: ramani@patience.stanford.edu
>Stanford, CA 94305 USA                     uunet!patience.stanford.edu!ramani

	The explanation is that I only tested building the code
under SunOS 4.0 and later. Apparently earlier versions of the OS
do not define these symbols. A work-around for compiling under SunOS 3x
was posted as part of the Post-R4 Errata from MIT:

13.  If you are building the server on an old SunOS (e.g. 3.5), you will have
     to add the following defines to mit/server/ddx/sun/sunCG3C.c to get it
     to compile:

	#define CG3AC_MONOLEN (128*1024)
	#define CG3AC_ENBLEN  CG3AC_MONOLEN
	#define CG3BC_MONOLEN CG3AC_MONOLEN
	#define CG3BC_ENBLEN  CG3AC_MONOLEN

--
Jeff Nisewanger                         ARPA: jdn@Eng.Sun.COM
Window Systems Group                    UUCP: ...!sun!jdn