[comp.windows.x] Motif on X11r4

sbc@wucs1.wustl.edu (Steve Cousins) (06/05/90)

We just received Motif 1.0.A from OSF and read in the release notes that
"Motif 1.0.A does not build correctly with X11 Release 4".  Not wanting
to move backward, we decided to wait for a new Motif release.  Recently,
I've seen a couple of references to people using Motif with R4.  How are
they doing this?  Are there patches, or is the new release already out?

Thanks for any pointers.

Steve Cousins			sbc@informatics.wustl.edu
Medical Informatics Laboratory
Washington University
St. Louis, Missouri

gaf@uucs1.UUCP (gaf) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun5.130124.10300@cec1.wustl.edu> sbc@wucs1.wustl.edu (Steve Cousins) writes:
>We just received Motif 1.0.A from OSF and read in the release notes that
>"Motif 1.0.A does not build correctly with X11 Release 4".

We've heard from OSF that they will be releasing a version of Motif
which "officially" works with R4 this summer.
--
Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.

sbc@wucs1.wustl.edu (Steve Cousins) (06/08/90)

Thanks for all the responses to my query.  It seems that there are a few
bugs when Motif and R4 are combined, but they can be overcome with a couple
of patches and most importantly, by using a version of Xt which comes with
Motif, rather than trying to use the R4 version.

The official availability date for the next release of Motif is "Quarter 3",
but the hope seems to be July 1 (i.e. the beginning of Q3).

Steve Cousins			sbc@informatics.wustl.edu
Medical Informatics Laboratory
Washington University

alleyne@teecs.UUCP (Adrian Alleyne) (06/14/90)

Subject: Re: Motif on X11r4
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x

Hi Steve,

I am currently running Motif 1.0.1 on a SS1 with the X11R4 SERVER.
You are right about the warning in the Motif release notes stating
that Motif will only BUILD with X11R3. You must first build motif
with X11R3 and then you can build and install the X11R4 SERVER.

Motif runs ok with the R4 server if you also add the -bc option
to the server on start up. Motif 1.1 will be released soon and is
fully compatable with X11R4.

Hope this answers your question.

Adrian Alleyne					email: alleyne@teecs.UUCP
Litton Systems Canada Limited			voice: (416) 249-1231
Etobicoke, Ont.
Canada M9W 5A7

root@vicorp.com (Super User) (06/16/90)