[comp.windows.x] staring a window manager

connolly@pixel.convex.com (Dan Connolly) (06/14/90)

What's the "kosher" way to invoke the mwm window manager
from an X client?
*is there already a window manager running?
*is mwm already running?

I'm working on some "how-to" software that shows how
to work mwm. It will look pretty funny if another wm
is running.

Any suggestions?

ac1@chive.cs.reading.ac.uk (Andrew Cunningham) (06/16/90)

In article <103031@convex.convex.com> connolly@pixel.convex.com (Dan Connolly) writes:
>What's the "kosher" way to invoke the mwm window manager
>from an X client?
>*is there already a window manager running?

Dunno about this one....

>*is mwm already running?
>
>I'm working on some "how-to" software that shows how
>to work mwm. It will look pretty funny if another wm
>is running.

From the OSF/Motif Programmers reference (HP-UX version)

     SYNOPSIS
         #include <X11/Shell.h>

         Boolean XmIsMotifWMRunning (shell)
              Widget    shell;

     DESCRIPTION

           XmIsMotifWMRunning lets a user know if the OSF/Motif window
           manager is running ...

	   shell  Specifies the shell whose screen will be tested for
	          MWM's presence.

Should do what you want...