[comp.windows.x] X11R4 for i386 Unix

oscar@eismond.UUCP (Carsten Tschach) (06/27/90)

teoh@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu writes:

>Will I get any problems with the above mentioned Unix clones w/ the
>following configurations?

>	Ati Wonder VGA (256K) Rev 1.02 w/ its TX-2B mouse
>	Seagate MFM 4096 hardrive (80MB)

To less, I thing if you install Unix, BNU,.... and XWindows you'll run out
of space - and if you don't do so, you won't have any free diskspace for
userdata.

>	Western Digital WD1006 HDD/FDD controller card
>	Technology Power TP/25 motherboard (64K Cache & 4 MB Ram)
>	Panasonic KX-P1191 printer
>	Teac 3.5 & 5.25 floppy drives
>	Nec MultiSync 3D monitor

>My project involves heavy use of X window Systems. What is the min memory

You can use XWindows with 4 MB ram, but if you open more than 2 windows,
the time for swaping slows the system down. I work with 8 MB ram and it's
okay.

>required to run X11R4? How would increase the display speed, add more
>video mem or just add coprocessor or both?

If you add a coprocessor, the XWindows-system speeds up. For example on my
system (386-25 8 MB no coprocessor) the xeyes are so slow that it isn't
possible to work with them. You can see how the pixels are set.  On a
friends computer (the same motherboard but with a coprocessor) the xeyes
are so fast, that you can expand it to the maximum size without waiting
for a responce from your computer.

>What's the best way to connect my IBM laptop to 386 console to enable X
>display on the laptop? Use coaxial cable w/ Ethernet card, or a null cable

It depend on the software you use. You need a special XWindows-terminal-
emulation for you laptop.

>w/ the dumb serial port? Any problem w/ the former alternative if there is
>only one serial port available on the laptop?

You can use the serial port as same as the ethernet. I thought, that the
ethernet ist faster, but the serial port is cheaper.

>Is there a way to dial up to 386 console from a remote side via phoneline?

You can connect you System with a normal asyncron modem that you connect
to the serial port.

>If there is, other than the use of MODEM, do I need any extra hardware?

No, maybe a lot of serial ports !

Bye, Carsten

P.S. If you E-Mail me, don't use the internal mailpath, only use my internet-
     address.

--
     "Suddenly there comes a blinding flash....and then comes OSCAR !"

 INTERNET: tschach@kristall.chemie.fu-berlin.dbp.de
     UUCP: oscar@eismond.uucp    ...!unido!tmpmbx!einoed!eismond!oscar