[comp.windows.x] a VAX

shoop@spcssi.uucp (Dan Shoop --- `The reason for time is so everything doesn't happen all at once') (06/27/90)

In article <6859@eos.UUCP>, djd@eos.UUCP (Daniel J. Dasaro) writes:
> We're considering installing X-windows on a Vax (using a 785 as a windows
> server).  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I'm looking for
> information on performance degradations of the system while running X.
> Assume about 25 users, only 6 or so using X windows.  Will it drag the
> system down to its knees?

Exeperiences on a uVAX II show that it is slow, but remember, X is a memory hog.
The more memory you have the better it runs. You'll need a min of 7MB to run
VMS and DECw, but really 12MB is a more practical limit -- for one user!

My suggestion would be not to try it unless you have a great deal of memory to
burn. DECw doesn't uses anywhere near as much cpu as ity does memory. Also,
you might want to make sure you have a speedy ethernet controller (assuming
that it will be used for X-traffic), since you'll be passing those extra
packets.

All in all, 6 users sounds very high for that class machine, a more realistic
number might be 2.

Dan Shoop				UUNET:		   ...uunet!spcssi!shoop
Manager of Systems Support		Internet:        shoop@spcssi.sequor.com
Security Pacific Software Services	AT&Tnet:		    212.425.0200
The Sequor Group			ICBMnet: 	       40 45 N / 73 30 W
Your standard disclaimer here.

Nuke 'um 'til they glow, then shoot 'um in the dark.