[comp.windows.x] Virtual Notebook System

canales@ZELDA.LLNL.GOV (Tom Canales) (06/28/90)

I just read an article from the HYPERTEXT'89 proceedings about VNS, a
a distributed hypertext virtual notebook system developed using X and
Sybase at Baylor College of Medicine. I'd like to find out more about
its availability but no email adress or contact info was included in
the article. Anybody out there got the poop on this thing? Thanks in
advance.

tc

klong@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (06/29/90)

In article <9006272140.AA07558@zelda.llnl.gov> canales@ZELDA.LLNL.GOV (Tom Canales) writes:

>I just read an article from the HYPERTEXT'89 proceedings about VNS, a
>a distributed hypertext virtual notebook system developed using X and
>Sybase at Baylor College of Medicine. I'd like to find out more about
>its availability but no email adress or contact info was included in
>the article. Anybody out there got the poop on this thing? Thanks in
>advance.
>
>tc

We have made some substantial improvements to the VNS since the Hypertext
'89 paper, and have recently learned that our National Library of Medicine
funding has been extended for another five years, which will foster some
major extensions to the system.

To expand slightly on Tom's description above, the VNS is modeled after the
biomedical researcher's notebook, with objects of various sorts arranged on
pages which are arranged into notebooks. Pages are intertwined with links,
and pages can be shared amongst users. We've experimented with a number of
different object types, and our arsenal presently includes audio, image, and
editable text objects, navigational (hypertext) links, action links (which
perform actions external to the notebook (run programs)), action image or
text objects (which run a program and display the results as an image or
text object), and a variety of imported objects (which are really pointers
to external data files). Objects can be moved around, copied, modified, etc.
The intention is to create a repository for information gathered from
places external to the VNS, which is why X comes in so handy, with its
selection service.  We've also got a set of browsers, etc.

We're simplifying certain aspects of the user interface to produce a simpler,
solid product to get our users more into production mode while we take
a while to dive in and figure out how to make the product more generally
useful, and to interpret the experiences we've gained so far.
We've overdue for another publication, but I don't expect we'll have a public
record of progress again until this winter, when we polish off 2.0 and
discuss our plans for 3.0.

We have deployed the VNS in several key biomedical workgroups at Baylor
already, but as far as external distribution goes, that responsibility is
being handled by a separate organization that is still in its infancy.
If you're waiting to see it uploaded to expo, I don't think that's going
to happen.  But, to find out what is in the works as far as distribution
goes, contact Andrew Burger at burger@bcm.tmc.edu.  I'd be happy to
try and address any other questions...

    Regards,

    Kevin Long