[comp.windows.x] Announcement -- OPEN LOOK Seminars

mls@attunix.att.COM (06/28/90)

  THE AT&T OPEN LOOK(r) GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE (GUI) TECHNICAL SEMINAR

The OPEN LOOK Graphical User Interface is simple for the novice to learn,
consistent in its behavior across applicaions, and efficient for the expert
user.  It provides a highly integrated and complete environment, including a
file manager, workspace manager, a window manager, terminal emulators, screen
printing utility, and pixmap editor.  The OPEN LOOK GUI is the standard
graphical user interface for UNIX System V, and is being shipped on more
than 20 different hardware platforms.

This one-day seminar for Application Developers and Technical Professionals
will cover the design goals and application programming interface (API) of
AT&T's OPEN LOOK GUI.  The seminar is geared toward a varied technical
audience.  Xlib programming experience is suggested as well as familiarity
with the X Window System (TM).
                                 AGENDA

       8:00-9:00     Registration and Continental Breakfast
       9:00          - Introduction
                     - OPEN LOOK GUI Complete Environment Overview
       10:15-10:30   Break
       10:30         - OPEN LOOK GUI Application Programming Environment
       11:15         - OPEN LOOK GUI X Toolkit Programming Introduction
       12:00-1:00    Lunch
       1:00          - OPEN LOOK GUI X Toolkit Programming (Continued)
       2:30-2:45     Break
       2:45          - OPEN LOOK GUI X Toolkit Programing Conclusion
                     - Programming for Performance
       4:30-5:00     General Questions and Answers, Conclusion

  Seminars will be held on August 20, 1990 in San Francisco, California
  and on August 24, 1990 in Boston, Massachusetts.  International seminars
  are also planned for locations around the world.

  FAST, EASY ENROLLMENT - Act now to reserve your place at the seminar location
  of your choice.  Seating is limited.  For further information (including an
  enrollment form), contact Michael Siemon at mls@attunix.att.com.

  __________
    * UNIX and OPEN LOOK are registered trademarks of AT&T
      X Window System is a trademark of M.I.T.

richard@ben.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Conan the Barbarian) (06/28/90)

Ok, what is the difference betwee AT&T OPEN LOOK(r) and
Sun OPEN LOOK? Is this a common package or has somebody
done something cute like playing with the case on the name.
(eg. News and NeWS)

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (mike.siemon) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun28.161452.4601@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> richard@ben.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
(Conan the Barbarian) writes:

>Ok, what is the difference betwee AT&T OPEN LOOK(r) and
>Sun OPEN LOOK? Is this a common package or has somebody ...

Sun and AT&T have products developed to the SAME "Look and Feel"
specification that we developed jointly (from a Sun prototype).
The implementations are different -- AT&T offers OPEN LOOK on a
base of Xt intrinsics, our Xt+ product.  Sun's implementation is
based on XView.  Note that UNIX SVR4.0 includes both the Xt+
offering *and* XView, and I believe that Sun also offers both
imlementations, as well as providing XView to the contrib side
of the X tapes available from MIT.

proclaimer: I don't know how to capitalize XView.  Practically
every word above is tradmarked by somebody or other; specifically
OPEN LOOK and UNIX are registered tradmarks of AT&T (or probably
now of USL, for whom I work.)
--
Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
m.siemon@ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;