[comp.windows.x] Undefined symbol _XtGrayPixmap

ntm@hawksnest.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Network Traffic Monitor) (06/29/90)

X11R4 was just installed on uor system and my code which compiled
under X11R3 refuses to link under X11R4. The link error:

ld: Undefined symbol
   _XtGrayPixmap

occurs during the link.

I set the trace option to determine what module required _XtGrayPixmap and
the error occured as below:

 /usr/lib/libXaw.a:
        /usr/lib/libXaw.a
/usr/lib/libXmu.a:
        /usr/lib/libXmu.a
/usr/lib/libXt.a:
        /usr/lib/libXt.a
/usr/lib/libX11.a:
        /usr/lib/libX11.a
/usr/lib/libXext.a:
        /usr/lib/libXext.a
-lc:
        /lib/libc.sa.1.5
ld: Undefined symbol
   _XtGrayPixmap
-t:
-dc:
-dp:
-e:
-X:
-o:
/usr/lib/crt0.o:
        /usr/lib/crt0.o

I have greped all my source and all the system header files for
XtGrayPixmap without any luck.

Could some kind soul point me in the direction of the elusive
XtGrayPixmap.

                                   Jim Coleman

                         In order to understand recursion
                             you need to understand recursion.

mikey@eukanuba.wpd.sgi.com (Mike Yang) (06/30/90)

In article <602@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu>,
ntm@hawksnest.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Network Traffic Monitor) writes:
|> X11R4 was just installed on uor system and my code which compiled
|> under X11R3 refuses to link under X11R4. The link error:
|>
|> ld: Undefined symbol
|>    _XtGrayPixmap

Are you sure your libXaw.a is from X11R4?  The scrollbar widget in R3
used XtGrayPixmap.  In R4 this is replaced by a call to
XmuCreateStippledPixmap.

   Mike Yang        Silicon Graphics, Inc.        mikey@sgi.com
		    415/335-1786		  decwrl!sgi!mikey

mouse@SHAMASH.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (der Mouse) (06/30/90)

> X11R4 was just installed on uor system and my code which compiled
> under X11R3 refuses to link under X11R4. The link error:

> ld: Undefined symbol
>    _XtGrayPixmap

> I set the trace option to determine what module required
> _XtGrayPixmap and [...got nothing helpful...]

> I have greped all my source and all the system header files for
> XtGrayPixmap without any luck.

1) Please, always say what sort of a system it is.  In this case, the
   output you quote makes me suspect you've got a Sun running release
   4.x.  On that assumption,

2) What you want is probably the -y option instead of the "trace"
   option.  Try linking with -y_XtGrayPixmap and see if you get
   anything helpful.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu