[comp.windows.x] information overload

kpc00@ccc.amdahl.com (Kimball P Collins) (06/29/90)

This looks like a useful newsgroup, but there are a lot of articles on
different kinds of topics.

Perhaps we can split the group?

Maybe:

        o Motif
        o general X discussion
        o future X versions
        o Xt
        o Xlib
        o other libraries

Maybe that is too many?  What do you think?

--

Neither representing Amdahl nor necessarily myself.

zinnato@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (R. Zinnato) (06/29/90)

>This looks like a useful newsgroup, but there are a lot of articles on
>different kinds of topics.
>
>Perhaps we can split the group?
>
>Maybe:
>
>        o Motif
>        o general X discussion
>        o future X versions
>        o Xt
>        o Xlib
>        o other libraries
>
>Maybe that is too many?  What do you think?

C'mon y'all, didn't we go through this before?  There is already another
group for Motif-specific questions.  (actually it's a mailing list, and I
think you have to actually *buy* the right to be on it...)
And the biggest problem is that not everybody contributing to these groups
is a subscriber to "news".  A lot of us don't have access to this service
and get all the stuff sent to us thru the mail via xpert.  Believe me, it's
just as much a pain for me to sift thru anywhere from 50 to 75 mail messages
a day, but I'd rather do that than be left off a "new newsgroup" and perhaps
miss something that I may need.  Unless of course *you* want to volunteer to
be in charge of setting up all of the mail gateways for all of these new
groups...

ac1@chive.cs.reading.ac.uk (Andrew Cunningham) (07/01/90)

In article <92N402sN01Qr01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kpc00@JUTS.uts.amdahl.com (Kimball P Collins) writes:
>This looks like a useful newsgroup, but there are a lot of articles on
>different kinds of topics.
True
>Perhaps we can split the group?
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but it seems like a
good idea to me.
>Maybe:
>
>        o Motif
>        o general X discussion
>        o future X versions
>        o Xt
>        o Xlib
>        o other libraries

This seems like *one* good division.  I think the traffic is large enough
to warrant splitting comp.windows.x.

Based on my experince reading c.w.x I think that just to split the
group as r3/r4/general (c.w.x.r3, c.w.x.r4, and c.w.x) would be
sufficient to minimize the amount of irrelevant (to me) stuff I have to
wade through every day.

Any comments?  (flames > /dev/null).

Yours etc,                      | e-mail: ac1@csug.cs.reading.ac.uk
in a white wine sauce with      | Nobody agrees with my opinions, though
shallots, mushrooms and garlic. | everybody is entitled to them.