[comp.windows.x] Unexplainable X error message

edward@twg.com (Edward C. Bennett) (07/02/90)

Here's a real puzzler for you Xperts.

We've got two Sun systems. Both have just had SunOS 4.1 installed. (Not
upgrades, but format-the-disk-and-boot-off-a-tape installations.) On
one of them, we installed and built the X11R4 source. Since we want X on
both systems, we copied /usr/bin/X11, /usr/lib/X11, and /lib/libX* from
the first machine to the second. Now starting X binaries on the second
system gives messages such as these from xterm (the binaries do run):

Warning: Shell Widget class VendorShell binary compiled for R3
Warning: Shell Widget class SimpleMenu binary compiled for R3

Any ideas? Remember that R3 doesn't exist at all, in any form, on
either system! (Weird, no?)
--
Edward C. Bennett - The other MMDF guy			edward@twg.com
The Wollongong Group					(415) 962-7252

jfy@orion.ksu.ksu.edu (Joseph F. Young) (07/02/90)

edward@twg.com (Edward C. Bennett) writes:

>Here's a real puzzler for you Xperts.

>We've got two Sun systems. Both have just had SunOS 4.1 installed. (Not
>upgrades, but format-the-disk-and-boot-off-a-tape installations.) On
>one of them, we installed and built the X11R4 source. Since we want X on
>both systems, we copied /usr/bin/X11, /usr/lib/X11, and /lib/libX* from
>the first machine to the second. Now starting X binaries on the second
>system gives messages such as these from xterm (the binaries do run):

>Warning: Shell Widget class VendorShell binary compiled for R3
>Warning: Shell Widget class SimpleMenu binary compiled for R3

>Any ideas? Remember that R3 doesn't exist at all, in any form, on
>either system! (Weird, no?)
>--
>Edward C. Bennett - The other MMDF guy			edward@twg.com
>The Wollongong Group					(415) 962-7252
>1129 San Antonio Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303
>		Before he ever met her, he wrote her a letter.

I've been getting the same message with xterm, compiled on an HCX-9 running
HCX-UX.  It doesn't seem to affect the function of anything, but the
warning messages are rather annoying.

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (07/02/90)

> Warning: Shell Widget class VendorShell binary compiled for R3
> Warning: Shell Widget class SimpleMenu binary compiled for R3

Rebuild Xaw and this should go away.  One of the public patches added a check
for out of date widgets, since you haven't compiled Xaw since you have installed
the new code, the toolkit thinks your widgets are out of date.

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium

Net:	 kit@expo.lcs.mit.edu
Phone:   (617) 253 - 9608