[comp.windows.x] Summary of Motif/Open Look toolkits

jimf@SABER.COM (07/03/90)

|Does anyone know of "merged OL/Motif" packages beside:
|- N3 (AT&T/USO)
|- OI (Solbourne + others)
|- Interviews V3 (proposed)

The following is a summary of messages I received when asking a
similar question.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

-- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------
From brett@mnisdv.den.mmc.com Thu May 31 10:29:54 1990
Date: Thu, 31 May 90 08:23:29 MDT
From: Ballantyne <brett@mnisdv.den.mmc.com>
To: jimf
Subject: Re:  Wanted: OpenLook and Motif toolkits

Jim,

    If you've used Solbourne's toolkit or know where to get it, please
    drop me a line at the address or phone number below.  I'd like to know
    how to get it, how much it costs, how stable it is, and how effective
    for building commercial applications.

Solbourne has sold it to AT&T for marketing, and they plan to bring it out
this summer, I beleive.  The cost will be $5000 for source, and then they
will charge you a fee for every machine you put it on, and like a $14
user fee for every user that uses software developed with it (or something
like that -- contact AT&T for details).  The other way to get it is to
buy a Solbourne computer.  I can't remember the name of the AT&T guy I
talked to, but you could contact Gary Aitken (garya@Solbourne.COM), one
of the develpers of the toolkit for details.

    If you know of any other toolkit than these that gives either or both
    OpenLook and Motif look-and-feel, please let me know the same
    information.

There is another toolkit based on Stanford's InterViews toolkit.
It is marketed by:

Quest Systems Corp.
3333 Bowers Ave.
Santa Clara, CA 95054-2912
(408)988-8880
info@quest.com
uunet!questsys!info

I can't remember how much it costs, but as I recall it is more reasonably priced
than the Solbourne toolkit, and they don't charge a fee per user, just
a fee per developer.

Hope this helps,

Brett Ballantyne

brett@mnisdv.den.mmc.com
From apollo@ecf.toronto.edu Thu May 31 10:48:13 1990
From: Vince Pugliese <apollo@ecf.toronto.edu>
To: jimf
Subject: request for Re: Open Look and Motif Toolkits
Date: 	Thu, 31 May 1990 10:44:03 EDT

From: mbartucc@Teknowledge.COM (Michael Bartucca)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x,comp.lang.c++
Subject: C++ UI Class Libraries
Date: 23 Apr 90 23:15:59 GMT

This is a summary of the C++ UI Class Libraries that are currently
available in the market place:

The following is a summary of the Solbourne OI C++ Class Library:

STYLE           Motif style available ~June 15: not released formally until August
                Open Look style available ~June 15

LANGUAGE        AT&T C++ 2.0

WINDOW PLATFORM Runs directly on top of Xlib; X11R3, as opposed to running on top of
                Xlib and Xt intrinsics.

PLATFORMS       Sparcstations now in house; Beta sites are porting to Sun3/4's.
                PC's are not a very high priority.

COST            BINARY COST
                $75     Single-user
                $150    Multi-user

                SOURCE COST
                $10,000 per and $5,000 each add'l

PERFORMANCE     Very good.  It's not Xt-based, which can be a problem
                for some people.  In fact, it's the one thing that may make it
                less popular.  Still, it's very fast because it lacks Xt overhead.
                However, it adds to the size of your executables if linked:
                Sun 3          ~.8 Mb
                Sun 4          ~1 Mb

FUNCTIONALITY   You create your windows using generic objects and at run-time
                you set a flag to indicate Motif Style or Open Look Style.
                You can use shared libraries on Suns with the Solbourne OI toolkit,
                unlike OSF/Motif, which doesn't support shared libraries (and
                won't in 1.1 either, apparently).

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION (from bboard responses)
                "I did my first X project using OI.  It was around 15,000
                lines of code, and the OI part was pretty small.  I have since
                switched to Xt, Xaw, and Motif, and it's like a different world.
                OI does so much for you it's incredible.  GCs are handled without
                you even knowing they're there.  Getting and setting attributes on
                objects is a breeze - just use the member function and you're there.
                Overall, I'd rather use OI than anything I've used since."

The following is a summary of the CommonView C++ UI Class Library:

STYLE           Current- Presentation Mgr, Windows style
                OSF/Motif style available ~Aug/Sept

LANGUAGE        Current- Glockenspiel C++ 1.2
                Glockenspiel C++ 2.0 expected ~Aug/Sept

WINDOW PLATFORM Current- OS/2 Presentation Mgr and Microsoft Windows
                In the future it will run on top of OSF/Motif toolkit
                which runs on top  of Xt intrinsics which runs on
                top of Xlib.

PLATFORMS       Mainly PC's running DOS, OS/2
                Sun 3/4's and Sparcstations running UNIX

COST            BINARY COST - same cost as the Glockenspiel Compiler
                PC DOS Platform                 $350
                PC, PM & OS/2 Platform          $499
                Future Sun/Unix/Motif Platform $499???

                SOURCE COST
                PC DOS Platform                 $725
                PC, PM & OS/2 Platform          ????
                Future Sun/Unix/Motif Platform ~$2,600??

PERFORMANCE     N/A

FUNCTIONALITY   Can be run on various platforms. Unfortunately, it
                currently is not running with C++ 2.0 or Motif style.

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION (from bboard responses)
                N/A

The following is a summary of the InterViews 2.6 C++ UI Class Library:

STYLE           InterViews Style

LANGUAGE        AT&T C++ 2.0

WINDOW PLATFORM Runs directly on top of Xlib. X11R4 and supposedly X11R3

PLATFORMS       Sun 3/4's

COST            Free

PERFORMANCE     "It's pretty portable and reasonably fast."

FUNCTIONALITY
InterViews is in wide use.  It has been available for more than 2
years, and is presently the UI class library for over 200 active sites
in several countries.  Mark Linton has presented InterViews papers at
every USENIX C++ conference to date.

InterViews is a toolkit implemented on top of Xlib. It does not use the Xt
toolkit Intrinsics. Thus, any of the widgets (actually called "interactors" in
InterViews jargon) can not be mixed-and-matched with Xt based widget sets such
as Athena, Motif etc.

InterViews is about 25 or 30K lines of C++ code. About 2k lines of this are
Xlib dependant. The rest is independant of Xlib. (I think the idea is that it
makes it possible to port InterViews over to other windowing systems with a
minimun of difficulty.)

Subclassing interactors is as easy as subclassing in C++ i.e. it's simple.

It's especially nice in how it handles simple graphics (lines, arcs, etc.)
in that they are objects which can be managed like any other object.
In other words, it's not just dumb graphics.

Generally, when programming in InterViews, you're programming in InterViews as
opposed to "Programming in X using the InterViewes tolkit". InterViews tries
its best to hide the windowing system from the application programmer---thus
it shouldn't be too difficult to port InterViews' programs to other windowing
systems that InterViews might be ported to. It *is* possible to access the Xlib
representation of some InterViews objects but with the poor documentation I had
no idea how to do this.

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION (from bboard responses)

Since it is not based on top of Xt, the wealth of support for Xt toolkits
available is of no use to anyone programming in InterViews. There are excellent
self study books available to help you learn about Xt and the toolkits based on
it. Also, reference manuals are availabale for Xlib and Xt.

All that is available for InterViews is some "man" style manual pages. When I
was using InterViews (up until last November) these were vastly incomplete and
in some places slightly misleading. I think that one of the main problems with
InterViews is it's poor documentation. (I haven't checked the latest
documentation that came with InterViews on the X11R4 tape so it's possible that
the quality has improved.)

In particular, the documentation I had was woeful. If the bad

It's an excellent package.

I looked at Interviews and felt that it wasn't reasonable in
the X world.  The support for the X resources and Xt-style
options was not up to snuff.  Also, support involves a university.
%

From lupine!lemke@uunet.UU.NET Thu May 31 12:47:17 1990
To: uunet!saber.com!jimf@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Thu, 31 May 90 09:37:29 PDT
From: Dave Lemke <lupine!lemke@uunet.UU.NET>

  From:  uunet!saber.com!jimf
  Date:  Wed, 30 May 90 17:37:57 EDT

  Lastly, if you are a Saber-C user and prefer one or the other
  interface, please let me know so that we can get some idea of how the
  market feels.

i suppose i could deal with either, though i'd prefer to stick
with what you've already got -- i don't need all the fanciness of 3d
look or round buttons, and i don't want to pay for it.  i also
don't want to loose any of your extras that might have to be removed
for compliance.

(note that i'm still using 2.1.2 -- 3.0 arrived yesterday and hasn't been
installed yet.  but from reading the docs i'll still be happy with
the UI.)

the biggest objection would be if you used some feature (the only thing
that comes to mind is the OPEN LOOK footers with XView, though there
may be others) that requires window manager assitance, cause i'd hate
to have to run a different WM as well.

Dave
From auspex!auspex.com!guy@uunet.UU.NET Thu May 31 15:40:17 1990
Date: Thu, 31 May 90 12:33:17 PDT
From: guy@auspex.com (Guy Harris)
To: jimf

>If you know of any other toolkit than these that gives either or both
>OpenLook and Motif look-and-feel, please let me know the same
>information.

AT&T's Xt+, which uses the Xt intrinsics and offers, not surprisingly,
an Open Look L&F.  (You'll have to ask AT&T for more information; I
don't know how much it costs, or how you get it, or what platforms it
currently works on.)
From merlyn@attunix.att.com Sat Jun  2 14:42:53 1990
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 90 14:29 EDT
To: attunix!jimf

Jim-

> We're in the process of deciding what to do with respect to OpenLook
> and/or Motif look-and-feel and are looking into our options with
> regard to toolkits, both free and commercial.
>
> I am aware of the XView and OSF/Motif toolkits, and have heard that
> Solbourne has a toolkit which is switch-selectable to be either
> OpenLook or Motif compliant.

There is also OLIT (OPEN LOOK Intrinsics Toolkit). The ``Intrinsics''
are the X Intrinsics, but we dropped the X to avoid mixups with
XView, also known as the OPEN LOOK X Toolkit. As its name implies,
OLIT is a widget-based toolkit, like Motif, that gives an OPEN LOOK
Look and Feel. This differs from XView in that XView is based directly
on Xlib.

OLIT is available on Suns directly from Sun, on AT&T 386 PCs and
3B2s directly from AT&T, and on DECs and HPs from third party vendors
(QUEST is one). This toolkit is also an integral part of SVR4.

In case you're wondering, Sun developed XView to capture the
many SunView applications--the XView API is very similar to
the SunView API. AT&T also provides XView with SVR4 for the
same reason. We developed OLIT because of demand for an X Intrinsics
toolkit.

In addition to a Solbourne approach (run-time switchable Look and
Feel), another approach is XVT (by the company XVT in Boulder CO).
Though they don't provide an OPEN LOOK Look and Feel yet, we are
discussing this with the company. This toolkit provides a Mac and
Windows Look and Feel as well as a Motif Look and Feel; it also
provides a character-cell Look and Feel. All of these interfaces
have the same API. Though the implementation uses separate libraries,
and therefore doesn't directly provide a run-time switch in
Look and Feel, use of dynamically shared libraries would provide
essentially the same feature.

Different approaches are also possible: Some people think that
the Solbourne and XVT toolkits introduce a performance degradation
over the native toolkit, through an additional layer of software
(XVT) or duplicate Look and Feel support (Solbourne). While I am
not convinced that this degradation is significant, if necessary
there are other ways to distance application development from a
particular GUI API. The publically available example is WsXc,
which allows the complete specification of the user interface
in a regular X Resource file. Though this requires a different
resource file for each GUI API, it does promote a methodology
that forces separation of the application code from the user
interface code. The side effect is that it becomes fairly easy
to switch widget sets. The benefit is an application that is
closer to the native toolkit, and that therefore (perhaps)
performs better.

We (Bell Labs) have experimented with a fuller version of this
technology (WsXc), allowing a software-tools approach to building
applications.  In essence we have added to the X Resource Manager:

	- a mini-programming language,
	- delayed resource interpretation,
	- and an IPC channel.

These allow dynamic reconfiguration of an application, plus ``networked''
applications. The change sits on top of the standard X software,
so is portable to any X client platform. It is not a large leap
in technology from regular X. This software is strictly prototype
at the present, so doesn't qualify for your software review.
I mention it only to show the range of technology available for
solving the need to separate application functionality from
the user interface.

Sincerely,
Steve Humphrey
AT&T
merlyn@attunix.att.com
From salzman%gaucho@rand.org Sat Jun  2 15:20:06 1990
To: jimf
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 90 11:48:49 PDT
From: Isaac <salzman%gaucho@rand.org>

>jimf@saber.com writes:
>If you've used Solbourne's toolkit or know where to get it, please
>drop me a line at the address or phone number below.  I'd like to know
>how to get it, how much it costs, how stable it is, and how effective
>for building commercial applications.

I'm sure you've gotten the answers to how to get it and such by now. All I
know is that it's source liscensed from AT&T and won't be ready 'till later
this summer.

I haven't used it, but from what I've seen, I like it! It's a nice way to
NOT have to deal with the look and feel thing, 'cause it does both. And,
it's C++ - which is another win (in my opinion). However, there could be
problems interfacing Saber-C (which is no doubt written in C) with the OI
toolkit which is in C++. You could always re-write Saber in C++! :-)

>If you know of any other toolkit than these that gives either or both
>OpenLook and Motif look-and-feel, please let me know the same
>information.

In addition to XView there's OLIT: "Open Look Intrinsics Toolkit" (used to
be called Xt+). It's an Xt based Open Look toolkit. It will be part of the
OpenWindows 2.0 distribution (which won't do you much good for non-Sun
machines). You'd probably call the same people at AT&T for OLIT as for OI.

If you decide to go Open Look (and hopefully you will :-), I'd say XView is
a better choice than OLIT. I don't think OLIT is as complete an Open Look
implementation as XView. Also, XView is free, and as of the 2.0 release
(due out within a month or so) it will have the 3D look - which is really
nice (well, it doesn't really matter, but that's why people took to Motif
in the first place, right?).

>If you've worked with either OSF/Motif or XView in a commercial
>application, I'd like to know your experiences with either, especially
>particular problems or things which worked particularly well.

I've been a beta site for OpenWindows 2.0 (and XView), and it's getting to
be a real nice system to work with. There's also DevGUIDE - the interface
builder for XView, that makes life easy. I'm using it to build an interface
to the RAND MH mail system for a research project. So far it's gone quite
well. No regrets on using XView at all - and I could've picked anything.
DevGUIDE helped a lot, and XView is a nice API to program to, especially if
you've come from SunView programming.

I haven't done any Motif programming. I have the source lying around. I've
tried to build the Motif distribution, and a couple app's that use Motif.
What a mess. I think you'll get into a lot of headaches if you go Motif.
Saber-C has a pretty complex user interface, Motif will probably complicate
it even more, especially since your GUI descends from SunView. All SunView
objects transform gracefully into XView. I don't think that'll be the case
for Motif. You've got people used to a SunView like interface - going to
XView/Open Look will be no problem for people used to using Saber. You'd
have to change the way some things work to use Motif. At least that's the
feeling I get. I just don't like Motif - so you're getting a biased
opinion.

What you should really do is this. Forget about what everybody on the net
tells you to do. Get the Open Look and Motif spec's and style guides. Read
them cover to cover. Think about what type of GUI you want on Saber-C.
Think about which GUI will let you achieve the best possible interface for
Saber-C and pick that one.

I think a lot of people picked Motif becase of the 3D look. When Motif came
out, Open Look was still kinda klunky looking (though not anymore). Don't
let something as shallow as just the look be the deciding factor. Consider
the feel as well. Is it easy to interact with? I'm telling you that you'll
probably find Open Look a more robust GUI and easier to interact with than
Motif. Things like pinnup menus are a great idea. It's a compromise between
menus and panels full of buttons. You get both. If you want the panel of
buttons, just pin the menu!

Btw, you may get some negative things about XView off the net. Most people
are using the source code version that came with R4. I've been using
version 2 beta, which will have a source release later this summer. It's a
lot better than the 1.0 stuff - so keep that in mind.

>Lastly, if you are a Saber-C user and prefer one or the other
>interface, please let me know so that we can get some idea of how the
>market feels.

Well, I think I've expressed that already! :-) To summarize:

      - XView is free (in source form)
      - XView has 3D
      - XView is (pretty) portable (they've done a DEC, HP and ?? port).
      - XView has DevGUIDE for building UI layouts
      - XView has an easy API (esp. for SunView programmers)
      - XView is a supported Sun product (it'll be around for a while)
      - Open Look is a better GUI (but read the spec's - find out
        for yourself)!

Btw, I like the idea of what you're doing -- querying the net and such
before making a decision (or letting marketting make it for you).

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to write or call me.
Ciao!

--
* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /

From nazgul@alphalpha.com Mon Jun  4 15:16:14 1990
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 11:43:30 EDT
From: nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley)
To: jimf

In article <9005302137.AA13391@lance> you write:
>Solbourne has a toolkit which is switch-selectable to be either
>OpenLook or Motif compliant.
I would take those claims with a grain of salt.  While you can use
their toolkit to produce both, the Motif side at least is not 100%
compliant, and there are some things that any good application would
do in Motif that  you cannot do in their toolkit without checking
to see whether or not you are running in Motif or OL mode.  There
was a panel at Xhibition on writing apps to multiple GUIs, and
garya@Solbourne.COM (Gary Aitken) and myself had some disagreement
on this subject :-).

Incidentally, their toolkit is currently available from AT&T, I'm
not sure of the price, but more critical from your standpoint, is
that it is a true C++ toolkit, and cannot be used from C.

>If you know of any other toolkit than these that gives either or both
>OpenLook and Motif look-and-feel, please let me know the same
>information.
Visix has a Motif-compliant toolkit, but they claim they either won't
license it, or will charge (literally) millions of dollars for it
if they did.

>If you've worked with either OSF/Motif or XView in a commercial
>application, I'd like to know your experiences with either, especially
>particular problems or things which worked particularly well.
I'm using Motif, from OSF.  DECs lack of experience with object
oriented programming methodology certainly shows through, but I
think over time the toolkit will be improved, and I'm more interested
in market stability right now than perfection - particularly since
I haven't yet seen a perfect toolkit.

>Lastly, if you are a Saber-C user and prefer one or the other
>interface, please let me know so that we can get some idea of how the
>market feels.
I'm afraid I'm not a user of Saber C - now if you want beta customers
for C++ sometime....  In any case, I think that Motif is the clear
winner.  We've yet to have a customer ask us for anything else, and
everyone else I've spoken to has had the same experience.  Sun of
course, asks for Open Look, as does AT&T - but their customers don't.

						-kee

| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 |   Home: 617/641-3805   |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |                        |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |   BBS:  617/641-3722   |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. |   300/1200/2400 baud   |
From jmb@attunix.att.com Mon Jun  4 15:25:19 1990
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 15:14 EDT
To: attunix!att!saber.com!jimf

| If you know of any other toolkit than these that gives either or both
| OpenLook and Motif look-and-feel, please let me know the same
| information.

Your mail doesn't mention what's commonly referred to as Xt+ or the
OPEN LOOK Intrisics Toolkit.  It's an OPEN LOOK toolkit/widget set
architected with vanilla MIT Xt Intrinsics.  We're currently working
on our third release; it's quite stable, and there are many outside
agencies working on applications.  Cost is about $1K for either source
(1-800-828-UNIX) or 386/3B2 binary (1-800-247-1212).

Regards,

Jim Bash
AT&T Bell Labs / UNIX Software Operation
Room 5-223, 190 River Road, Summit, NJ 07901
(201) 522-6649
attunix!jmb / jmb@attunix.att.com

From jmb@attunix.att.com Mon Jun  4 17:25:35 1990
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 17:05 EDT
To: attunix!att!saber.com!jimf

We have ported the library from the 386 to 3B2s and Suns.  There are
other third-party ports nearing completion, including one to HPs by
Melillo Consulting (201-873-0075) that you'll hear about soon (press
release later this week).  I led the porting effort of our recent 2.0
release to the Sun-4, and it was largely straightforward (most snags
had to do with Sun's X11/NeWS server and font dependencies).  That
work was the basis for the OpenWindows version you have now.

Jim Bash
AT&T Bell Labs
jmb@attunix.att.com

From vania@osf.org Wed Jun  6 05:45:39 1990
From: Vania Joloboff <vania@osf.org>
To: jimf
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 90 17:06:44 -0400

> I am aware of the XView and OSF/Motif toolkits, and have heard that
> Solbourne has a toolkit which is switch-selectable to be either
> OpenLook or Motif compliant.

Depend what you call Motif compliance.

The Motif emulation I know of (solbourne is one of them) look like Motif.
They do not have the same behavior in terms of keyboard traversal
(mostly they have very little keyboard traversal)

From djb@cbnews.att.com Thu Jun  7 10:59:40 1990
Date: Thu,  7 Jun 90 10:37:53 EDT
From: djb@cbosgd.att.com (David J Bryant)
To: jimf

Jim,

I have not used the Solbourne toolkit, but at Xhibition '90 a few weeks ago
I attended a detailed tutorial on it given by Gary Aitken of Solborne.
The OI toolkit is a full C++ toolkit implementation that bypasses the
X Intrinsics and provides equivalent functionality as part of each supported
object in the toolkit.  I was very impressed, but it does represent a
significant departure from the "standard" X Intrinsics-based toolkit approach.
I'd encourage you to look into it.  You can get info from Solbourne, who
will continue to do the development, or from AT&T, who has signed on to
offer source and licenses.  I don't have the Solbourne info here with me, but
if you haven't already gotten it, send me mail and or call and I'll get it
for you.

Another toolkit available but not mentioned in your comp.windows.x article
is the Xt+ toolkit from AT&T.  This is a full X Intrinsic-based Open Look
toolkit (unlike XView).  It is currently available on AT&T's 6386 products,
From Quest Systems for all members of the Sun workstation family, and will
be provided as a fully supported part of Sun's OpenWindows 2.0 platform
scheduled for release in July of this year.   Porting work to other platforms
(AT&T 3B2, HP, etc.) are under way.  I have used Xt+ for almost a year
now for commercial development, and am very happy with it.  (Of course you'd
probably expect an AT&T employee to say that, but it's true.)  I think
the folks at AT&T responsible for Xt+ have produced a good toolkit, have
been very helpful and responsive to our needs, and have shown a strong
interest in continuing to provide more functionality in the Xt+ toolkit
than you can get from the OSF/Motif toolkit.  (In that regard, I also
consider Open Look to be technically and usably superior to OSF/Motif.)
Please take a look at the Xt+ toolkit if you haven't already.  If you'd like
names and phone numbers of contacts, please let me know and I'll put you in
touch with the right folks at AT&T.

As I said, for the record, I far prefer Open Look to OSF/Motif.  I am
in the process of encouraging the acquisition of Saber-C for widespread
use here in my organization.  I've heard excellent things about it, looked
it over at Xhibition '90, and believe it's the kind of tool we need.  I
have presented my case to my management and am expecting word in the next
week.  For what it's worth, my organization is responsible for establishing
standard product platforms and development environments across a large
section of AT&T Bell Laboratories, AT&T Network Systems, and AT&T.
We supply technology and tools to over fifty active projects.   I am
personally working with approximately twenty projects in their development
of graphical user interfaces, all using Open Look and Xt+.  I fear I'd have
a tough time encouraging use of Saber-C as a standard tool if it was available
in a OSF/Motif version but not an Open Look one.  (This has been an impediment
in the adoption of some X desktop tools such as Looking Glass, which offer
only OSF/Motif.)

Good luck in your evaluation and decision making process.  If there's
any information or assistance I can render, please don't hesitate to
contact me.
                                         UUCP: att!cbosgd!djb
        David Bryant                           att!cborion!djb
        AT&T Bell Laboratories       INTERNET: djb@cbosgd.att.com
        Room 1B-256                            cborion!djb@att.com
        6200 East Broad Street          PHONE: (614) 860-4516
        Columbus, Ohio  43213             FAX: (614) 868-4302
From xpert-mailer@expo.lcs.mit.edu Thu Jun 21 08:38:52 1990
Date: 21 Jun 90 04:52:10 GMT
From: eos!shelby!neon!neon.Stanford.EDU!ham@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (Peter R. Ham)
Subject: Re: choosing a toolkit
To: xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu

We have the same problem in our group. If you are using C++
and are not very constrained by strict Motif/OpenLook compliance,
the I recommend InterViews. It's the best toolkit that I've seen
so far.

The toolkits that I've used are:
InterViews
Xtk