[comp.windows.x] Xwindows/SunView on a Mac

ulloa@litsun.epfl.ch (Gonzalo Ulloa) (07/04/90)

In article <42205@apple.Apple.COM>, antonio@Apple.COM (Antonio Ordonez) writes:

> Yes. There is a progrm from Apple called MacX which does just what
> you need. It offeres an X11R3 server and can display in either color
> or B&W. It is multifinder compatible.  There is also a product from a
> company calle White Pine and it is called eXodus that last I heard does
> a similar thing but only in black and white.  I don't know how accurate
> the eXodous info is so don't flame.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Antonio

I have a Mac IIcx with 8MB of RAM and ethertalk card. We test both XWindows
servers, MacX and eXodus in beta release boths. We run MacX and eXodus with
X11R3 and X11R4.
MacX seems a better product, is faster and work fine under multifinder.
MacX has an stronger memory allocation problems (your mac can crash with eXodus
if you try to open a new window without enougth memory).
MacX is faster in B&W mode than eXodous, but it seems that new eXodus version
are faster.
You can also speedup MacX using rootles option (local window manager).
The only remaider problem for both product are button emulation, we still wait
a tree button mouse...!

We still wait form apple a MacX version with an ftp option....???

Gonzalo Ulloa "Otro latinoamericano refugiado en Europa"
ulloa@litsun.epfl.ch