[comp.windows.x] 24-bit color support

thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (07/04/90)

In article <1336@pai.UUCP> erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) writes:
>14) 24-bit colour support. (Another frequently-asked question.)

The X server on an ESV (Evans & Sutherland) workstation already supports 24
bit color.  As far as I know, this is just the "TrueColor" visual type.
Doesn't the SI already support this?  Or are you asking for some other kind
of 24-bit support (like dithering for visuals that don't support 24 bits).
I'm not quite sure how I would feel about X supporting generic n->m bitplane
color conversion.

						-- Rich
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
``If everybody is thinking the same thing, is anybody thinking?'' --Bob Johnson

bpendlet@bambam.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) (07/07/90)

From article <1990Jul4.154416.5842@hellgate.utah.edu>, by thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson):
> In article <1336@pai.UUCP> erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) writes:
>>14) 24-bit colour support. (Another frequently-asked question.)
>
> The X server on an ESV (Evans & Sutherland) workstation already supports 24
> bit color.  As far as I know, this is just the "TrueColor" visual type.
> Doesn't the SI already support this?

Nope.

Visual class has nothing to do with the number of display planes.
"TrueColor" just means that you have a read only color map.

Considering that I've ported R3 and R4 to (different) 24bit color
displays I won't claim to be an expert on server/ddx/cfb... I'm not
THAT arrogant. But my experience is that cfb doesn't support 24 bit
displays and you probably wouldn't want to use it for 32 bit displays.
But, the cfb code is a good place to start when writing your own 24
bit ddx code.

				Bob P.

P.S.

I haven't tried using the very latest cfb code. Just the R3 cfb and
the original r4 cfb code.

--
              Bob Pendleton, speaking only for myself.
UUCP Address:  decwrl!esunix!bpendlet or utah-cs!esunix!bpendlet

                      X: Tools, not rules.