[comp.windows.x] Xt redisplay method

stan@b17b.INGR.COM (stan) (07/03/90)

Is there any way for an application to call a widget's Redisplay routine
without accessing the internal widget structure or generating a bogus
Expose event?

Thanks in advance.
     /				       \				   /
    /   Stan Hardy 			\  Disclaimer:          	  /
   /   Intergraph Corporation            \  This is only an exhibition,  /
  /   Phone : (205) 730-1346	          \  not a competion.  Please,  /
 /   Mail  : ..!uunet!ingr!b17c!c120g!stan \  no wagering.  	       /
/___________________________________________\_________________________/

asente@wrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (07/04/90)

In article <422@b17b.INGR.COM> stan@b17b.INGR.COM (stan) writes:
>Is there any way for an application to call a widget's Redisplay routine
>without accessing the internal widget structure or generating a bogus
>Expose event?

This is not a flame, just a suggestion.

You presumably have some problem you are trying to solve, and think that
calling the Redisplay routine from the application is the way to solve it.
I suspect that there is some other way to achieve what you're trying to
do, in a way that doesn't involve breaking the data abstraction barrier
between applications and widgets.  If you'll send another message that
describes what you're trying to accomplish, you're likely to get more
helpful responses.

This is often a problem with questions posed in this group.

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	...!decwrl!asente

p.s. There is no way to call the Redisplay procedure from an application.

meo@rsiatl.UUCP (Miles ONeal) (07/08/90)

Someone named Stan wrote:

|Is there any way for an application to call a widget's Redisplay routine
|without accessing the internal widget structure or generating a bogus
|Expose event?

1) What's wrong with the expose event?

2) write a rouine that goes through the widget's structures
   to execute a method directly. Place it in a .c file with
   the <widget>P.h file included. Compile & use as needed.

3) Write such a routine, but put it in the <widget>.c file
   itself, and make it non-static (ie, public). This is good
   for your own widgets, not so good for other stuff you may
   need to upgrade via patch or replacement.

-Miles O'Neal
meo@sware.com
emory!sware!meo

(mail bounced)