[comp.windows.x] Open look vs Motif

kestrel.raveling@unify.UUCP (Paul Raveling) (07/03/90)

	This is routed to the xpert mailing list as well as to the
	OpenLook list.  xpert/comp.windows.x readers might want to
	know that this follows from a discussion of the relative merits
	of Motif and OpenLook.

> In article <9158@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> Bill Davidson writes:
> |> From: unify!kestrel.raveling@uunet.uu.net (Paul Raveling)
>
> |> 	It may be worth mentioning vanilla MIT X11 as an alternative.
>   You may *like* it better, but in what way is it technically better? My
> personal choice is MOTIF, but I regularly use olwm over twm because of
> the consistent button usage.

	I'd argue that twm at least is technically better than olwm
	because it provides capabilities that seem to be unavailable
	with olwm, and some of them are important.  If there's a way
	to get olwm to do some of these and I'm not aware of it, I'd
	be delighted to hear about it.

	Some items of this sort are:

		0.  QUIT GRABBING MY FUNCTION KEYS.
		1.  ALWAYS raise a window when it's moved or resized
		2.  Quit adding an internal border to all windows.
		3.  Disable titlebars on a per-client basis

	Perhaps those and various others could be phrased in a more
	general way as:

		If the default behaviors aren't ideal, provide easy
		ways to change ANY default behavior.  This also means
		that I have some quarrels with various aspects of
		the OpenLook Way of Life in general.

	Something else I've been waiting for is a window manager, or
	any client for that matter, that could handle an interactive
	dialog to reconfigure its options.  Users, and maybe even
	developers, shouldn't always have to sort out whether to change
	.whatnotrc, .Xresources, .Xdefaults, or (gasp)
	/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/whatever [or Whatever, or WHatever].

------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@unify.com

kestrel.raveling@unify.UUCP (Paul Raveling) (07/04/90)

	[This is cross-posted to xpert (comp.windows.x) & probably
	 belongs in comp.graphics.]

> In article <9158@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> Bill Davidson writes:
> |> From: unify!kestrel.raveling@uunet.uu.net (Paul Raveling)
>
> |> 	Perhaps part of that is because monochrome displays are going
> |> 	the way of dinosaurs on workstations.
>
>   Now you're down to pure opinion. While I like color, for many
> applications it just isn't needed, and the high resolution of mono gives
> a crisper display. For technical reasons the cost of any given
> resolution in color is always higher than the same dot pitch in mono,
> and for just text handling mono is fine.

	Checking this out should be an action item for somone who'd like
	to do some legitimate human factors research.  Part of the
	problem is that we haven't learned to use color to full advantage
	yet.

	I agree that color isn't essential for simple text applications,
	but I believe that practically all workstations are used for
	more complex work.  Even many simple applications are becoming
	more graphic.  For example, when I stopped into a Sacramento
	bank to transfer my checking account from L.A., the bank officer
	used a very colorful PC-based windowish application to do
	the job of filling in forms.  I didn't look closely, but
	had an impression that it used color to suggest semantics
	and to guide the user's cognitive focus.

	Another literally graphic example was an article in the
	real estate section of the 1st Sunday paper I received.
	It was written by a realtor who wildly praised their new
	ability to show digitized color photos of their listings
	to clients in the office.  The author predicted that the
	online MLS (multiple listing service) would adopt digitized
	images within a couple years.

	As for resolution, there's definitely a price for good color
	resolution but I'm not aware of a workstation color monitor
	that I'd consider inadequate.  Resolution on the monitors I
	used at ISI was better than that of the PC displays and
	VT-100'ish terminals that I used before then, and was about
	the same as most workstation monochrome displays.

------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@unify.com

grp@unify.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello) (07/04/90)

Paul Raveling writes:

>>   You may *like* it better, but in what way is it technically better? My
>> personal choice is MOTIF, but I regularly use olwm over twm because of
>> the consistent button usage.
>
>	I'd argue that twm at least is technically better than olwm
>	because it provides capabilities that seem to be unavailable
>	with olwm, and some of them are important.  If there's a way
>	to get olwm to do some of these and I'm not aware of it, I'd
>	be delighted to hear about it.
>
>	Some items of this sort are:
>
>		0.  QUIT GRABBING MY FUNCTION KEYS.

	Any function keys Open Look grabs can be overriden.

>		1.  ALWAYS raise a window when it's moved or resized

	I would say NEVER raise a window unless I tell it to.  It's awful
	obnoxious to do something that I did not want.  But these our simply
	differing opinions.

>		2.  Quit adding an internal border to all windows.

	There is no internal border added to any windows.

>		3.  Disable titlebars on a per-client basis

	Title bars are there so that the user knows what they are working with.
	This is a benefit to naive users; they know, at a glance, what they
	are working with.  I do agree, however, that this behavior should be
	configurable.  I would venture a guess that this is the most oft-cited
	"problem" with the window manager.

	Does the Motif WM allow this?  Remember, what we started talking about
	was the relative merits of Open Look vs Motif.  If we want to talk
	technical excellence, an argument can be made that NeWS is _far_
	superior to X.  And, Open Look can run in a NeWS environment, as it
	is only a specification.

>	Perhaps those and various others could be phrased in a more
>	general way as:
>
>		If the default behaviors aren't ideal, provide easy
>		ways to change ANY default behavior.  This also means
>		that I have some quarrels with various aspects of
>		the OpenLook Way of Life in general.

	I agree that, in an ideal world, you should be able to change any
	behaviour you don't like.

>	Something else I've been waiting for is a window manager, or
>	any client for that matter, that could handle an interactive
>	dialog to reconfigure its options.  Users, and maybe even
>	developers, shouldn't always have to sort out whether to change
>	.whatnotrc, .Xresources, .Xdefaults, or (gasp)
>	/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/whatever [or Whatever, or WHatever].

	Here, here.

>------------------
>Paul Raveling
>Raveling@unify.com

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

don@zardoz.coral.COM (Don Dewar) (07/05/90)

If this debate continues to rage on, taking up both electronic and
visual (eyestrain) bandwidth, I would suggest we make a separate
mailing list.  This is a purely subjective argument at this time.
Yes, I have my opinion, but my opinion means nothing when one
considers that this issue is going to be decided by the interaction of
two factors: the market and defacto standards.  In a world where
software is more and more market driven (especially in the hotly
competitive workstation market), Sun will eventually go where
the market is.  Therefore, whichever Motif or Openlook becomes the
defacto standard, that is where Sun and most of the other players will
probably go.  Therefore, one very important consideration when trying to
*guess* which product will win is how much each product attempts to
pander to the "standards compliant" market by 1) building on existing
standards, 2) filling in the holes by creating reasonable standards where
none exists, and 3) appealing to a broad market by not maintaining
a legal stranglehold the product, which has in the past scared this
market segment.  I think this mail distribution deserves arguments based
on the technical merits of the products or on the "art" of user
interfaces; not on a bunch of pie in the sky numbers or on (somethimes
prejudical) subjective opinions.  Few of the market *analysis* I have
read here on this debate seem credible, and they certainly have not
quoted their sources.  I have already said more than I wanted to, so
in closing, I would beg that the persons continuing this argument
get verifiable *facts*, argue based on technical merit or on the human
factors side of user interfaces, or start a new mailing list to throw
their opinions at each other.

  +---------+
  | Coral   |
  |@@@@@*@**|
  |@@*@@**@@|     Don Dewar
  |*@@**@@@@|     Coral Network Corporation, Marlborough, MA
  |@***@@@@@|     Internet: don@coral.com
  |@@**@@@@@|     Phone:    (508) 460-6010
  |*********|     Fax:      (508) 481-6258
  |Networks |
  +---------+

jimf@SABER.COM (07/05/90)

|	I didn't look closely, but
|	had an impression that it used color to suggest semantics
|	and to guide the user's cognitive focus.

This is A Bad Idea.  A large portion of the male population is
color-blind to some degree.  If you use color to convey information
this segment will be unable to make proper use of your software.

Apple publishes a user interface design guide which touches on this
point (along with a lot of others -- if you do UI work, buy that
book!), and I've come in contact with the problem several times even
in the short time I've been doing user-interfaces.

Color can be an additional guide, but don't make it the only one.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (07/09/90)

In article <9007032022.AA13586@magpie> think!ames!unify.com!grp@eddie.mit.edu writes:
[...]
>>		0.  QUIT GRABBING MY FUNCTION KEYS.
>
>	Any function keys Open Look grabs can be overriden.
How?  Nobody here will use *any* OL stuff because it messes up the Fkey
bindings for twm...
Also why do the OL prgrams "steal" the functions keys from *everyplace*, not
just their windows?  (I can see why OLWM takes them, but why does running
mailtool prevent me from using L10 in some other window for someting?)
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"