[comp.windows.x] twm doesn't put windows where I tell it

marty@ultra.com (Marty Lyons) (07/09/90)

I'm having a problem with twm in it's initial placement of windows.
Even though I explicitly identify geometry for all my windows on startup,
windows will always be pushed down from the top (- in the y direction) on the
screen.  The end result being xterms, and everything else, wind up
lower than they should be, and I have to move each window upwards
to where it should be.  I've tried changing border widths, and even
redefining starting locations to lower coordinates than they should
be (hoping the "pushing" effect will be negated).  I'm tired of
moving all my windows by hand everytime I startup X.  Anyone have any
ideas?  Thanks in advance.

/Marty

--
---
Marty Lyons, Ultra Network Technologies, 101 Daggett Dr, San Jose, CA 95134 USA

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (07/09/90)

    Even though I explicitly identify geometry for all my windows on startup,
    windows will always be pushed down from the top (- in the y direction) on the
    screen.

By how much, the height of the title bar?  If so, twm's just following
the rule for NorthWest gravity, as given by the ICCCM (Section 4.1.2.3).

marty@ultra.com (Marty Lyons) (07/10/90)

In <9007091229.AA17616@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:

>    Even though I explicitly identify geometry for all my windows on startup,
>    windows will always be pushed down from the top (- in the y direction) on the
>    screen.

>By how much, the height of the title bar?  If so, twm's just following
>the rule for NorthWest gravity, as given by the ICCCM (Section 4.1.2.3).

Yes, windows are displaced aproximately the title bar width.  I've read
ICCCM 4.1.2.3, which clarified things.  Thanks again!

/Marty

--
---