[comp.windows.x] Eight-bit characters

pjb@mips2000.UUCP (Paul Bailey) (07/09/90)

In article <3408@husc6.harvard.edu>, kochhar@harvard.harvard.EDU (Sandeep Kochhar) writes:

> What clients can deal with (edit etc.) eight-bit character sets?
> I noticed that I could type eight-bit characters
> into an xterm window using the meta key, and 'catting' those files
> produced the right affect.  However, neither vi nor emacs seem to
> be able to edit such files.

FrameMaker supports 8 bit editing and printing.  Call (800) U4-Frame
for more information or send email to comments@frame.com.

Paul J. Bailey                  Manager, X Projects
Frame Technology Corp.          1010 Rincon Circle, San Jose, Ca. 95131
Domain: pjb@frame.com           (408) 922-2778
UUCP: {ames,adobe,hplabs,riacs,sun,vsi1}!frame!pjb

mleisher@nmsu.edu (Mark Leisher) (07/10/90)

The AsciiText Widget can handle 8 bit characters. You will have to
fiddle with the translations to get keyboard access to them.
mleisher@nmsu.edu                      "I laughed.
Mark Leisher                                I cried.
Computing Research Lab                          I fell down.
New Mexico State University                        It changed my life."
Las Cruces, NM                     - Rich [Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille]