[comp.windows.x] Motif is a behavior spec also

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (07/02/90)

In article <3590@auspex.auspex.com>, guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> Well, actually, OSF apparently now has a certification process for
> toolkits, so they've finally realized that "The Toolkit is *NOT* the
> Look&Feel".  Given that there are non-Xm toolkits under development (and
> some may already exist) that offer a Motif L&F, this would seem to be a
> sensible acknowledgment of reality....

The separation between Appearance/Behavior and implementation has been
there from the beginning, although it's easy to be distracted from
that by the focus on the Xt-based implementation that we ship.

It was explicit in our Request For Technology in fall '88; it's
highlighted by our PM-compliant behavior rule; it's spelled out in the
introduction to our (much-maligned) Style Guide; and the two-level
trademark certification process was announced at a press conference
July 11, 1989.  Admittedly this is turning out rather slow in
implementation.

Also, one of the more popular Motif-compliant applications is
implemented without our reference toolkit.

So we've been in touch with reality all along.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

>It was explicit in our Request For Technology in fall '88; it's
>highlighted by our PM-compliant behavior rule; it's spelled out in the
>introduction to our (much-maligned) Style Guide;

Err, well, what said introduction says is:

	This *Style Guide* was written for three audiences:

	Application developers

	Widget developers

	Window manager developers

Although the bit about "Widget developers" does *seem* to allow for the
possibility of a new widget set other than Xm ("...a widget set
consistent with the OSF/Motif user interface."), it doesn't offer much
comfort to anybody, say, trying to tweak the Andrew Toolkit to offer a
Motif-like user interface, nor, I suspect, to the Solbourne folks doing
OI.

In other words, perhaps "Widget developers" should be replaced by
"Toolkit developers" and appropriately rewritten, unless the intent is
to anathematize all X toolkits not based on the Xt Intrinsics....

>and the two-level trademark certification process was announced at a
>press conference July 11, 1989.

Well, to quote Tom LaStrange (whose observation was also made by another
person in email to me):

> I just got the certification package and from what I can tell it is to
> certify a port of Xm to a given vendor's hardware.  It is an API certification
> process, not a "Look&Feel" certification process.  So it seems that the
> only certified OSF/Motif toolkits will be Xm ports.  If I have interpreted
> this wrong I would certainly like someone from OSF to let me know.

So did he interpret it wrong, or is the certification in question
basically a test to make sure your system software (compiler, kernel,
system libraries, Xlib) aren't broken and that you haven't tampered with
the source to Xm, or does the "two-level trademark certification
process" offer one level for Xm ports and another for toolkits written
from scratch (and not necessarily Xt-based)?

mhn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mark Notess) (07/10/90)

> (A side question - Will DecWindows and NewWave be phased out when
> they ship Motif?)

HP has been shipping Motif for quite some time; the Motif issue is
orthogonal to the NewWave issue--apples and oranges.  Motif is a way to
do windows and controls; NewWave is a way for applications to be more
intelligently integrated.  At least that's my view (I'm a consumer of
both and a developer of neither).

Mark Notess                mhn@hpfcla.fc.hp.com
                    --my opinions only, not those of--
                             Hewlett-Packard

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (07/10/90)

|> (A side question - Will DecWindows and NewWave be phased out when
|> they ship Motif?)

DECwindows is larger (functionally) than Motif.  DEC has announced a
schedule for replacing the appropriate parts of DECwindows with Motif
and porting all application programs to Motif.  I forget the details,
but it's something like "by the end of this year".

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee