[comp.windows.x] Xtrek v6.0 on SS1+ under SunOS4.1 - setup problems

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (07/08/90)

I'm trying to get Xtrek 6.0 to work under OpenWindows 1.0.1
on a SparcStation1+ SunOS4.1 and am running into the following
problems.

1) bdftosnf is not supplied.
   I found an old copy on an old Xwindows tape and got it working
2) imake is not supplied
   I found an old copy on an old Xwindows tape, got it to compile
   but it wants a "configuration file" for the sun which I havn't
   a clue how to set up!! (I manually cludged the Makefiles yuch!!)
3) mkfontdir is not supplied
   I found an old copy on an old Xwindows tape, munged the Makefile
   but it wants Xmu/libXmu.a which is not supplied
4) libXmu.a is not supplied
   I found a listing of my old Xwindows tape and found the Xmu directory
   but my tape was so old it failed to retrieve the directory
5) I compiled the xtrek/xtrekd pair after much Makefile hacking (see 2 above)
   but when I run xtrek, xtrekd dies with the following message;

>  shappy [/usr/local/games/xtrek] {{32}}% xtrek shappy
>  Adding player 0 on `shappy:0'.
>  X Error:
>    Request Major code 249 ()
>    Request Minor code
>    ResourceID 0x8
>    Error Serial #46
>    Current Serial #46
>  [1]  + Exit 1               xtrekd
>  shappy [/usr/local/games/xtrek] {{33}}%

   which is the same message that Xtrek 5.4 died with (I was about to post
   a help request for that version when 6.0 appeared).

I could ftp the missing bits if I knew where they were but would
rather not ftp the whole Xwindows distribution (2400 baud SLIP connect
to the internet!!). Anyone know a) what I'm missing that would help,
b) do I need Xmu or is it supported in some obscure OpenWindows library
c) best way to bring up imake on my setup, d) what the obscure resource
error is (above) and how I might track it on my own (next time) and
e) are there other questions I should be asking in order to bring up Xtrek.

tia

--alen the Lisa Slayer (trying to turn a SPARC into a flame)
    alen%shappy.uucp@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)
    alen@crash.cts.com

mccoy@ils.nwu.edu (Jim McCoy) (07/08/90)

In article <3435@crash.cts.com>, alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) writes:
|> I'm trying to get Xtrek 6.0 to work under OpenWindows 1.0.1
|> on a SparcStation1+ SunOS4.1 and am running into the following
|> problems.
|>
|> 1) bdftosnf is not supplied.
|> 2) imake is not supplied
|> 3) mkfontdir is not supplied
|> 4) libXmu.a is not supplied
|> 5) I compiled the xtrek/xtrekd pair after much Makefile hacking
|>    (see 2 above) but when I run xtrek, xtrekd dies with the
|>    following message;

Numbers 1-4 are because you no longer have the X sources around or the
configuration files.  If you plan on compiling _anything_ that you
find on the net, you have better get the config files (with imake,
imake templates, etc) and should have the sources.

|> [stuff about Xtrek dying on startup as well]

This may be a version incompatibility (anyone know if OpenWindows
1.0.1 is R3 or R4???)

You should try to get a hold of the real sources (if ftp is not
possible, try tape of floppy for the SPARC), at least the
X11R4/{config,lib,util,and include} dirs.  If the isn't a ftp site
with the sources unpacked, send me mail.

You should check the OpenWindows docs though, I can't believe that
they would be so stupid as not to include bdftosnf or mkfontdir, what
do they expect you to use for adding fonts???

jim

------------------------------< Jim McCoy >------------------------------------
mccoy@acns.nwu.edu                  |  "Those whom the gods would destroy,
mccoy@ils.nwu.edu                   |   they first make mad...
#include <disclaimer.h>             |              -Sophocles
-----------------------<"To thine own self be true">--------------------------

stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (07/10/90)

In article <1105@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> mccoy@ils.nwu.edu writes:
>In article <3435@crash.cts.com>, alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) writes:
>|> I'm trying to get Xtrek 6.0 to work under OpenWindows 1.0.1
>|> on a SparcStation1+ SunOS4.1 and am running into the following
>|> problems.
>|> 1) bdftosnf is not supplied.
>|> 2) imake is not supplied
>|> 3) mkfontdir is not supplied
>|> 4) libXmu.a is not supplied
>Numbers 1-4 are because you no longer have the X sources around or the
>configuration files.  If you plan on compiling _anything_ that you
>find on the net, you have better get the config files (with imake,
>imake templates, etc) and should have the sources.

The MIT sources won't help you for 1 and 3, since the xnews server uses its
own weird font file format (inherited from NeWS, I believe). However, there
are equivalents for bdftosnf and mkfontdir, called convertfont and bldfamily,
respectively -- check out the man pages.

The OpenWindows Xlib and Xt libs should be R4 compatible, so you should be
able to compile Xmu from the MIT distribution.

----
Andreas Stolcke
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU
1957 Center St., Suite 600, Berkeley, CA 94704	(415) 642-4274 ext. 126

elric@imryrr.Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Heli) (07/11/90)

In article <26020@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) writes:
>>Numbers 1-4 are because you no longer have the X sources around or the
>>configuration files.  If you plan on compiling _anything_ that you
>>find on the net, you have better get the config files (with imake,
>>imake templates, etc) and should have the sources.
>
>The MIT sources won't help you for 1 and 3, since the xnews server uses its
>own weird font file format (inherited from NeWS, I believe). However, there
>are equivalents for bdftosnf and mkfontdir, called convertfont and bldfamily,
>respectively -- check out the man pages.
>
>The OpenWindows Xlib and Xt libs should be R4 compatible, so you should be
>able to compile Xmu from the MIT distribution.

This is generally correct.  The X11/NeWS server uses a different format for its
compiled font files.  These are the ".fb" files found in $OPENWINHOME/lib/fonts.
The bdftosnf and mkfontdir utilities are not used in the font compilation
process.

If you have a BDF file, compile it with

	% convertfont -b myfontfile.bdf

This will make a .fb file for you.  Then run

	% bldfamily -d `pwd`

to update the Families.list file which helps the server understand what
fonts are there.

From this point, telling the server about the fonts is what you'd expect:

	% xset +fp `pwd`
	% xset rehash

libXmu isn't part of the OpenWindows release.  You'll need to ftp it from
somewhere.  The Xt and Xlib libraries are supplied and based on the R4 versions.

--
						Rick Heli
						Internet:  rheli@sun.COM