[comp.windows.x] How to install new fonts?

aks@iti.org (Alan Stebbens) (07/06/90)

I have just obtained the marumoji fonts, and am trying to install them
on my DECstation 3100.  Perhaps I'm being dense and having _perused_ TFM,
but here's what I've tried:

a. Installed font file "maru14.bdf" in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local.
b. Ran "dxfc" on "maru14.bdf" to make "maru14.pcf"
c. Ran "dxmkfontdir /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local" to build "fonts.dir"
   with the new maru14.pcf in it; it seemed to work.
d. Verified that /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local is in the font path, by querying
   with "xset -q".
e. Set the font path, just in case the "fonts.dir" files are read only
   once, when the path is first set.
f. Queried again to be sure I didn't trip over something.

However, "xlsfonts" doesn't seem to find the fonts.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.
(Please reply via email unless you think your answer will benefit the
entire net).

Alan Stebbens <aks@hub.ucsb.edu>
--

Alan Stebbens <aks@hub.ucsb.edu>

mike@BACH.CS.BYU.EDU (Mike Burbidge) (07/06/90)

I had exactly the same problem. I have not been able to figure out how to
get fonts other than those that come with DEC's server to work. Please let
me know if you find the solution.

Mike Burbidge
mike@bach.cs.byu.edu

aks@somewhere.ucsb.edu (Alan Stebbens) (07/12/90)

In <5896@hub.ucsb.edu> aks@hub.ucsb.edu (Alan Stebbens) writes:

>I have just obtained the marumoji fonts, and am trying to install them
>on my DECstation 3100.  Perhaps I'm being dense and having _perused_ TFM,
>but here's what I've tried:

>a. Installed font file "maru14.bdf" in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local.
>b. Ran "dxfc" on "maru14.bdf" to make "maru14.pcf"
>c. Ran "dxmkfontdir /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local" to build "fonts.dir"
>   with the new maru14.pcf in it; it seemed to work.
>d. Verified that /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local is in the font path, by querying
>   with "xset -q".
>e. Set the font path, just in case the "fonts.dir" files are read only
>   once, when the path is first set.
>f. Queried again to be sure I didn't trip over something.

>However, "xlsfonts" doesn't seem to find the fonts.

>What am I doing wrong?

Well, thanks to Anne Louise Gockel, at Cornell, for the winning answer:

"Did you issue `xset fp rehash' or do something to restart the X server?"

And, of course, I had done no such thing.  Oh well.

I just did, though, and the new fonts are now accessible.
So, it seems that the above steps are correct, and that step (e) should be
replaced with:

e.  Run "xset fp rehash".

Thanks, again, Anne.
--