[comp.windows.x] OPEN LOOK is not FREE

csd29@seq1.kl.ac.uk (A. Herath) (07/09/90)

Hi,

Hay, Open Look is not Free, look what I receive from a claimed sales
rep.

| To: csd29@uk.ac.keele.seq1
| Subject: enquiry
| Cc: catrina@uk.co.uel
| Date: 9 Jul 90 09:38:14 BST (Mon)
| From: Catrina Morgan <catrina@uk.co.uel>
|

| Dear Mr Herath
|
| Your enquiry has been passed on to me as I deal with all
| educational enquiries in Europe.
|
| The OPEN LOOK source code is available from this office, however
| we do not offer an educational price for this product.  The initial
| CPU costs US $1,000 with additonal machines priced at US $500.
|
| If you would like to license this product,  please contact me with
| the following details:
|
| type,  serial number and specific location of the machines you
| wish to license
|
| your institution's central administrative address
|
| Should you have any questions,  please do not hesitate to
| contact either myself or Mr Chris Schoettle (uel!cts) who
| is our technical expert for GUI products.
|
| Yours sincerely
|

| Catrina Morgan
| LICENSING MANAGER
|
| tel  +44 81 567 7711
|
| fax  +44 81 567 2420

So stop bashing MOTIFF. It's cheaper to buy MOTIFF than this.

Athula.

>Hay, Open Look is not Free,

"Open Look" is not a product, it's a specification; the books containing
the specification do, indeed, cost money.

However, I think this discussion is largely referring to
*implementations* of that specification; e.g., toolkits and window
managers.

There exist Open Look toolkits that are free (XView), and Open Look
toolkits that cost money (AT&T's XT+, and, I think, Sun's NeWS-based
tNt).  There exist Open Look window managers that are free ("olwm", in
the contributed software part of the X11R4 release), and Open Look
window managers that cost money (AT&T's X-based one, and, I think, Sun's
"pswm" that manages both X and NeWS windows).

>look what I receive from a claimed sales rep.

USL used to be USO, which is still, I think, owned by AT&T.  Therefore,
she is probably speaking of the AT&T Open Look toolkit, window manager,
etc., which, as indicated above, cost money.

west@gsrc.dec.com (Jim West (Stealth Contractor)) (07/11/90)

In article <435@keele.keele.ac.uk>, csd29@seq1.kl.ac.uk (A. Herath) writes...
-
-Hi,
-
-
-Hay, Open Look is not Free, look what I receive from a claimed sales
-rep.
-
-
-| To: csd29@uk.ac.keele.seq1
-| Subject: enquiry
-| Cc: catrina@uk.co.uel
-| Date: 9 Jul 90 09:38:14 BST (Mon)
-| From: Catrina Morgan <catrina@uk.co.uel>
-|
-|
-| Dear Mr Herath
-|
-| Your enquiry has been passed on to me as I deal with all
-| educational enquiries in Europe.
-|
-| The OPEN LOOK source code is available from this office, however
-| we do not offer an educational price for this product.  The initial
-| CPU costs US $1,000 with additonal machines priced at US $500.
-|

  Just remember that this is a SOURCE license.  A vendor will buy a source
license and then produce a binary product which is MUCH cheaper to sell.

 Jim West                      |  The Schainker Converse
 west@gsrc.dec.com             |  to Hoare's Law :

 These are my opinions.        |   Inside every small problem
 Digital has no idea           |     is a larger problem struggling
 what I'm  saying.             |       to get out.

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (07/12/90)

In article <1414@shodha.dec.com> west@gsrc.dec.com (Jim West (Stealth Contractor)) writes:
The XView package distributed free with MIT-XWindows implements the Open Look
style standard.  It is one of four five implementations of Open Look.

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (mike.siemon) (07/12/90)

In article <1414@shodha.dec.com> west@gsrc.dec.com
(Jim West (Stealth Contractor)) writes:

> Just remember that this is a SOURCE license.  A vendor will buy a source
> license and then produce a binary product which is MUCH cheaper to sell.

The source license carries with it license to run the derived binary on
all machines networked to the licensed one in a radius of 25 miles.  So
a site like a university needs only one source license (or at least, one
per major geographic location.)

Disclaimer: this is what I remember from staff meetings at USENIX; I am
	    not in marketing, and you really should explore these issues
	    with them (in some depth, rather than just reacting to a few
	    words.)  As someone else pointed out, this particular question
	    only refers to the USL (a wholly-owned AT&T subsidiary :-))
	    OPEN LOOK product offering Xt+, not to other variants.  And
	    of course, you should *also* explore in depth what you do and
	    do not get with Motif licenses.
--
Michael L. Siemon			Inflict Thy promises with each
m.siemon@ATT.COM			Occasion of distress,