[comp.windows.x] Help on X11R4 xterm's TEK 4014

tracy@phx.mcd.mot.com (Tracy Wilhardt) (07/11/90)

We at Motorola have been doing a port of 11.4 xterm for System V.
We have some concerns relating to xterm's TEK 4014 window.
We do not have any expertise in the TEK area. We now believe our port
operates at least as good as that released from MIT.  Some of the
behavior is so different that we believe that it may be the correct
operation (i.e.  when at the  bottom of the TEK window "scrolling"
goes to the top about to the middle of the window and writes thought
existing text and at the bottom of this second row it returns to the
top left corner of the window and continues to write through).

Is this the correct behavior for the TEK window of xterm?
--------
Tracy E. Wilhardt               Motorola MD: DW160
tracy@phx.mcd.mot.com           2900 S. Diablo Way
				Tempe, AZ 85282

caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) (07/12/90)

In article <13192@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> tracy@phx.mcd.mot.com (Tracy Wilhardt) writes:
:
:We at Motorola have been doing a port of 11.4 xterm for System V.
:We have some concerns relating to xterm's TEK 4014 window.
:We do not have any expertise in the TEK area. We now believe our port
:operates at least as good as that released from MIT.  Some of the
:behavior is so different that we believe that it may be the correct
:operation (i.e.  when at the  bottom of the TEK window "scrolling"
:goes to the top about to the middle of the window and writes thought
:existing text and at the bottom of this second row it returns to the
:top left corner of the window and continues to write through).
:
:Is this the correct behavior for the TEK window of xterm?

That's how a 4014 works.  A 4014 can be set to stop the
display at the bottom of either the first page or the second
page.  Two page mode is useful with the 4014's two smallest
character sizes.

IMO an xterm 4014 window should offer options suitable for the
lower resolution equipment it is usually run on.  These
include scrolling and/or writeover options.  Many displays
cannot display 160 characters per line in a font that is
comfortable to read.

It would also be nice if xterm's emulation of 4014 vector
drawing were not so dreadfully quadratic.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (07/13/90)

tracy@phx.mcd.mot.com (Tracy Wilhardt) writes:

>operation (i.e.  when at the  bottom of the TEK window "scrolling"
>goes to the top about to the middle of the window and writes thought
>existing text and at the bottom of this second row it returns to the
>top left corner of the window and continues to write through).

>Is this the correct behavior for the TEK window of xterm?
This is the correct behavior, if you compare against the
original TEK4014. But some other TEK Terminals work differently
(i.e. TEK 4010).

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger

Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende, D-8046 Garching, West Germany
BITNET:  K2@DGABLG5P            Internet: k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de