[net.news] Cost of net news

jhull@spp2.UUCP (01/17/85)

In article <501@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
>   This amounts to forced charity in a number of cases.  And the
>   charity is already beginning to break down as administrators
>   arbitrarily start cutting back on netnews for purely financial
>   reasons.  ...
>   But the important thing is that if people feel that they want
>   to continue passing along unscreened material by phone, they
>   simply find other sites that feel the same way and are willing
>   to pay the costs.
>--Lauren--

Now, the above is not the main thrust of Lauren's article, but it does
raise a question in my mind.  Have the net administrators done all
they reasonably can to minimize phone costs and transmission costs due
to the topology of the net?  I am not and have never been a net
administrator.  I have noticed both mail and news with incredible
strings in the <Return-Path>.  (Yes, I am familiar with multi-path
routing problems in networks.)  It seems to this uninitiate that
significant cost savings could be realized by careful updating of the
news routing files and suggestions to various sites regarding where
they could tap into the network for greatest cost savings (even
granting that everyone doesn't want to be a full-feed site).

--
					Blessed Be,

 					Jeff Hull
 {ihnp4}trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250