[comp.windows.x] What is Saber C?

jdp@polstra.UUCP (John Polstra) (03/01/90)

What is Saber C?
Why does config/sun.cf on the X11R4 tape contain "#define HasSaberC YES"?
What exactly does this configuration parameter affect?
--

-  John Polstra               jdp@polstra.UUCP
   Polstra & Co., Inc.        ...{uunet,sun,pyramid}!practic!polstra!jdp

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (03/03/90)

jdp@polstra.UUCP (John Polstra) writes:
>What is Saber C?
>Why does config/sun.cf on the X11R4 tape contain "#define HasSaberC YES"?
>What exactly does this configuration parameter affect?

Saber-C is a commercial C development environment based on a C
interpreter.  If you think of it as a super-duper lint with a
super-duper dbx built-in, you start to get the idea.  In reality it's
closer to a lisp-machine style enviroment for C programmers, though,
because it's completely extensible.

The configuration parameter HasSaberC affects the building of
makefiles.  Saber-C parses makefiles for commands such as "#load
foo.c", which are discarded as comments by a normal "make", but
generate useful actions within Saber-C.  If you don't use Saber-C the
flag doesn't hurt anything but if you *do* use it it's a godsend.

If you're doing development on Sun or DEC machines (in the future
there will be HP, 386, and IBM RIOS ports, each about 6mos-1yr away)
and are interested in Saber-C, you should email me and I'll have
someone send you more junk mail than you know what to do with :-).

As this is a commercial product this probably isn't the forum to
discuss it, so email discussion is appreciated.

Happy hacking,

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (07/13/90)

I just built X11 r4 (successfully) but have a question about the
variable HasSaberC in the file ./mit/config/sun.cf.  There is a
line that reads:

#define HasSaberC	YES	/* for machines that have it */

Well, what is Saber C and do I have it?  (Sun SparcStation 1, SunOS 4.1)
Do I want to get it?  I left the answer at yes, but was that correct and
will that cause me any trouble later?

Just curious...

Thanks,
Robert
--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    STL / MSD                           |

dtj@caffeine.cray.com (Dean Johnson) (07/13/90)

#include <std/disclaimers.h>

In article <11271@hydra.gatech.EDU> rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:
>I just built X11 r4 (successfully) but have a question about the
>variable HasSaberC in the file ./mit/config/sun.cf.  There is a
>line that reads:
>
>#define HasSaberC	YES	/* for machines that have it */
>
>Well, what is Saber C and do I have it?  (Sun SparcStation 1, SunOS 4.1)

I quote from a Saber-C pamphlet,

	"Saber-C is a powerful C programming environment with an integrated
	set of tools for programming, debugging, testing and maintaining
	code..."

It includes,

	1. State and run-time error detection.
	2. Incremental linker/loader
	3. Graphical browsers
	4. Extensible source-level debugger
	5. Interactive workspace
	6. Integrated editing

>Do I want to get it?  I left the answer at yes, but was that correct and
>will that cause me any trouble later?

You don't need it, but it seems to be quite desirable to have around. You
can get info on Saber-C at,

	Saber Software Inc.
	185 Alewife Brook Parkway
	Cambridge, MN 02138
	(617) 876-7636

I shouldn't cause you any problems in your builds.

	-Dean

jimf@SABER.COM (07/13/90)

|I just built X11 r4 (successfully) but have a question about the
|variable HasSaberC in the file ./mit/config/sun.cf.  There is a
|line that reads:
|
|#define HasSaberC	YES	/* for machines that have it */
|
|Well, what is Saber C and do I have it?  (Sun SparcStation 1, SunOS 4.1)
|Do I want to get it?  I left the answer at yes, but was that correct and
|will that cause me any trouble later?

Saber-C is a commercial C development environment.  If you want more
information you can contact me directly and I'll answer your
questions.

Leaving the definition in will not hurt anything.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

jimf@SABER.COM (07/16/90)

|	Saber Software Inc.
|	185 Alewife Brook Parkway
|	Cambridge, MN 02138
|	(617) 876-7636

It's actually Cambridge, MA  02138.  (Typo, I assume).

Happy hacking,

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com