[comp.windows.x] DECWindows Multi-screen problem under eXodus 2.0

qfhca81@memqa.uucp (07/16/90)

I am currently using eXodus Version 2.0 to run DECWindows and other X
applications.  I use twm because it gives me easy access to the multiple
screen support that eXodus provides.  I run two windows:  One is a large screen
supported in a small Mac window (928x928)  The other is as large as I can
get on my real Mac Screen (608x416). Both are, of course, Macintosh windows and
can be scrolled.

I use the small window for applications that auto-size themselves nicely.
I use the large scrolling screen for big things that don't like the small root.

My problem is that DECWindows does not allow me to start applications on the
0.1 window.  The Session Manager/Customize/Screen number window implies that I
can either set the screen on which an application can run, or ask that I be
prompted for the screen number when I start an application.  While I can set
screen 1 to be used either as default or interactively, The application always
comes up running on screen 0.

Is this a known DECWindows bug?  I there something about my setup that is
causing the problem?

--
Henry Melton  qfhca81@memqa   ..!cs.utexas.edu!execu!sequoia!memqa!qfhca81
homeaddress   henry@hutto     ..!emx.utexas.edu!hutto!henry

evans@decvax.dec.com (Marc Evans) (07/17/90)

In article <4562@memqa.uucp>, qfhca81@memqa.uucp writes:
|> I am currently using eXodus Version 2.0 to run DECWindows and other X
[...]
|> My problem is that DECWindows does not allow me to start applications
on the
|> 0.1 window.
[...]
|> Is this a known DECWindows bug?  I there something about my setup that is
|> causing the problem?

These questions are very difficult to answer with the information
provided. Could
you tell us which OS (VMS/ULTRIX), what version of the OS, the version of
DECwindows (under ULTRIX, 2.1, 2.2 or 4.0) and the type of hardware being used
(I counted at least 7 different DECwindows environments under ULTRIX alone...)

With that information, we can probably determine if what you are trying to do
can be done, and if there is a different way to do what you need.

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

mikey@eukanuba.wpd.sgi.com (Mike Yang) (07/18/90)

In article <4562@memqa.uucp>, qfhca81@memqa.uucp writes:
|> My problem is that DECWindows does not allow me to start applications
on the
|> 0.1 window.  The Session Manager/Customize/Screen number window
implies that I
|> can either set the screen on which an application can run, or ask that I be
|> prompted for the screen number when I start an application.  While I can set
|> screen 1 to be used either as default or interactively, The
application always
|> comes up running on screen 0.

I'll assume that you're running a recent version of DECwindows and
give you a solution for that setup.  I don't know how to make the
session manager prompt you for the screen number when you start an
application.

However, if you always want a given application to start up on a given
screen (you seem to), you can make this happen.  Use the "Customize"
menu to alter the definitions of your applications so that they have a
"-display :.0" or a "-display :.1" in them.  This should force them to
appear on the screen of choice.

                 Mike Yang        Silicon Graphics, Inc.
               mikey@sgi.com           415/335-1786

qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) (07/18/90)

In article <10456@odin.corp.sgi.com>, mikey@eukanuba.wpd.sgi.com (Mike Yang) writes:
> In article <4562@memqa.uucp>, qfhca81@memqa.uucp writes:
> |> My problem is that DECWindows does not allow me to start applications
> on the
> |> 0.1 window.  The Session Manager/Customize/Screen number window
> implies that I
> |> can either set the screen on which an application can run, or ask that I be
> |> prompted for the screen number when I start an application.  While I can set
> |> screen 1 to be used either as default or interactively, The
> application always
> |> comes up running on screen 0.
>
> I'll assume that you're running a recent version of DECwindows and
> give you a solution for that setup.  I don't know how to make the
> session manager prompt you for the screen number when you start an
> application.

My current VMS version is 5.3-1 and whatever version of DECwindows comes with
that.  When the Session manager runs on a display that has more than one screen
defined, there is an additional option under the Customize menu that allows
you to define which screen to screenprint and which screen to run applications
on, as well as a checkbox for determining the screen at runtime via a
little dialog box.  This does not work.  If I rely on this, the application
always starts on screen 0.

> However, if you always want a given application to start up on a given
> screen (you seem to), you can make this happen.  Use the "Customize"
> menu to alter the definitions of your applications so that they have a
> "-display :.0" or a "-display :.1" in them.  This should force them to
> appear on the screen of choice.

I have had no luck with this.  All I get is an error message 'Can't open
Display.' from the application.  Even a fully spelled out display address
fails, but this could be the application?

What DOES work is to use the DCL command SET DISPLAY/SCREEN=1 before running
the application.  So I have found a workaround.  I just wish the Session
Manager would work the way it was designed to.

--
Henry Melton
{fast}  qfhca81@memrqa.sps.mot.com

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (07/19/90)

There have been a number of bugs in an assortment of DECwindows applications
for use on screens other than zero. (off the top of my head,
it includes DECwrite 1.0, a few of the out of the box applications).

Most of these bugs have been cleaned up in recent VMS and Ultrix
releases (VMS has been a bit ahead, as they had multi-screen support
sooner, so many of the bugs have already been fixed in the latest
release, and picked up by code sharing), but a few won't get fixed until
the next functional release of Ultrix or the layered product, where
multi-screen will be available on the DS5000.

So there are some rough edges, the size of which and roughness of which
depends on precisely what release you talk about, the few remaining of
which are now being rapidly removed.

This message brought to you from screen 2 of a three screen DS5000.  My
apologies
for our bugs. The world should be safe for multi-screen (on our end of the
wire at least...) in the not distant future.
				- Jim Gettys
				  Digital Equipment Corporation
				  Cambridge Research Lab.