[comp.windows.x] Again, how can I get Motif?

don@zardoz.coral.COM (Don Dewar) (07/19/90)

Attention: Greg Greer.

) Date: 17 Jul 90 17:55:34 GMT
) From: uunet!ames.arc.nasa.gov!dftsrv!greer  (Greg Greer)
) Subject: Again, how can I get Motif?
) Sender: uunet!alphalpha.com!motif-request
) To: motif@alphalpha.com
)
) I asked once before and got no response, except from several other
) people who also would like to know:
)
) Is there any place/way to get Motif for free, like X itself?  If not,
) as I fear, who sells it and for how much?
)
) Thanks,
) --
) Greg
) -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
) Gregory G. Greer (301) 286-7942		  |  under contract to:
) August Automation, Software Developers    |  Code 743
) 8781 Oxwell Lane, Laurel, Maryland 20781  |  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
) (301) 470-4020				  |  Greenbelt, Maryland 20771
) -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
)
)

Indeed you are correct -- Motif is not free.  The information below is
from the Most Recently Asked Questions email that is posted at the
beginning of every month.

Subject: 3) Where can I obtain Motif?

	Various hardware vendors produce developer's toolkits of binaries,
header files, and documentation; check your hardware vendor, particularly if
that vendor is an OSF member. Systems known to be shipping now: HP (sans UIL),
Apollo (sans UIL), SCO, ISC, Mips (RISCwindows=X11R3 + full Motif), IBM.

	In addition, independent binary vendors produce Motif toolkits. ICS
makes several binary kits, notably for Sun, DEC, Apple; Quest (408-988-8880)
sells kits for Suns, as well; IXI (+44 223 462 131) offers kits for Sun3 (SunOS
3.5 or later, and Sun4 (SunOS 4.0.1 or later). Unipalm XTech (+44 954 211862)
offers a binary kit for Sun 4, Sun 3, and Sun 386i.
	The kits include varied levels of bug-fixing and support for shared
libraries.

	An OSF/Motif source license must be obtained from OSF before source can
be obtained from the Open Software Foundation or any value-added vendor. Call
the Direct Channels Desk at OSF at 617-621-7300 for ordering information.

**Note:  I tried to answer you the first time, but got rejected.  If
your email address is different then the return address in the
message, please added it to your signature.
**Additional Note:  I tried to answer you again and still got
rejected, so I am positing this to xpert.  I am sure you got the
information by now, but I thought you would want to know that your
mail keeps getting rejected.

  | Coral   |
  |@@*@@**@@|     Don Dewar
  |*@@**@@@@|     Coral Network Corporation, Marlborough, MA