[comp.windows.x] X11R4 version of xdbx?

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (07/24/90)

Is there a X11R4 version of xdbx somewhere?  I've looked at several sources
and they are all R3.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

slp@genrad.uucp (Steven L. Peters) (07/25/90)

In article <KVJ&#=C@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>Is there a X11R4 version of xdbx somewhere?  I've looked at several sources
>and they are all R3.

Me too!
		Stephen Peters
		portnoy@athena.mit.edu
		slp@genrad.genrad.COM

lestat@nontech.Berkeley.EDU (David Gonzalez-Nieves) (07/25/90)

>Is there a X11R4 version of xdbx somewhere?  I've looked at several sources
>and they are all R3.

>--
>Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

-------------

Hi

	We are currently using the one available from expo.lcs.mit.edu under
X11R4 and it seems to work fine even though it is designed for X11R3. We
are running it under SunOS 4 on 3/60 color stations and compiled using
the Imakefile provided.
	The file is

	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp        109927 Mar 20 14:14 xdbx.tar.Z

	and is available for anonymous ftp from various sites including mit.

David Gonzalez          lestat@ctt.bellcore.com
Bellcore                Architecture Technology District
RRC 1M207S
444 Hoes Lane
Piscatway, NJ 08854     VOICE (201) 699-6387

DISCLAIMER:

Bellcore is not responsible for anything I say, write or think if they
can be su
ed. I am not resposible for anything I say, write or even think if I can
be sued
. (Doesn't have any logic!!!)

tkl@osl.ncsu.edu (Tim Lowman) (07/26/90)

In article <25684@bellcore.bellcore.com> lestat@nontech.Berkeley.EDU (David Gonzalez-Nieves) writes:
>>Is there a X11R4 version of xdbx somewhere?  I've looked at several sources
>>and they are all R3.
>>--
>>Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
>-------------
>Hi
>	We are currently using the one available from expo.lcs.mit.edu under
>X11R4 and it seems to work fine even though it is designed for X11R3. We
>are running it under SunOS 4 on 3/60 color stations and compiled using
>the Imakefile provided.
>	The file is
>	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp        109927 Mar 20 14:14 xdbx.tar.Z
>	and is available for anonymous ftp from various sites including mit.

>David Gonzalez          lestat@ctt.bellcore.com
>Bellcore                Architecture Technology District
>RRC 1M207S
>444 Hoes Lane
>Piscatway, NJ 08854     VOICE (201) 699-6387

Yes we also have that version here at North Carolina State University, but
has anyone gotten it to work correctly.  At the moment, ours will compile
and will run with some of the simpler programs (ones that do not call other
procedures that were compiled separately and linked into the executable).
Then when you try to step through the program, it says that it can't find
the file the procedure was compiled in.
Also another annoying feature is that you can click on the "file" button and
the machine will either show you the files or crash in a malloc error.
I have multiple versions of xdbx, from uunet.uu.net and the X11R4 release
tapes... all fail to work properly.  The machine that xdbx is being compiled
on is a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 3.1d.  We are currently running the
R4 server.  Any suggestions, comments, etc. will be appreciated.

====================================-------*-------===========================
- Tim Lowman | (tkl@osl.csc.ncsu.edu) | Sys. Prog. I @ NCSU Comp. Sci. Dept. -
- North Carolina State Univ, Dept. of Computer Science, Box 8206 Raliegh, NC--

lestat@nontech.Berkeley.EDU (David Gonzalez-Nieves) (07/26/90)

>Yes we also have that version here at North Carolina State University,
but has anyone gotten it to work correctly.  At the moment, ours will compile
>and will run with some of the simpler programs (ones that do not call other
>procedures that were compiled separately and linked into the executable).
>Then when you try to step through the program, it says that it can't find
>the file the procedure was compiled in. Also another annoying feature
is that you can click on the "file" button and the machine will either
show you the files or crash in a malloc error.
>I have multiple versions of xdbx, from uunet.uu.net and the X11R
>4 release tapes... all fail to work properly.  The machine that xdbx is
being compiled on is a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 3.1d.  We are
currently running the R4 server.  Any suggestions, comments, etc. will
be appreciated.

>====================================-------*-------=============
>==============
>- Tim Lowman | (tkl@osl.csc.ncsu.edu) | Sys. Prog. I @ NCSU Comp

-------------------------------

Hello
	I retried the xdbx version 2.0 for X11R3 and came to the following
conclusions:
	1. The only time I can not find a file while stepping is if the file is
not in the current directory. In that case it will tell you it can't
read the file.
	2. The malloc error seems to happen when you are running a lot of
programs in background or concurrently. I was able to recreate it when I
ran 6 copies of a 600k program, vi, and XRn at the same time on a SUN
3/60 with 8 Meg Ram. This is a problem with memory availability. If you
use XtMalloc, or any of the Xt functions that allocate memory and it's
not able of allocating, it will exit the program. My only suggestion is
add more memory or kill some windows when debuggin with xdbx.

	3. I did find something annoying: When I run the program without trace,
it will work properly. When I run it with trace, the probabilities are
quite high that it will cause a Segmentation Violation type of error and
quit after a while.

bye
Internet, E-Mail:       lestat@ctt.bellcore.com

rajeshg@diamond.tamu.edu (Rajesh Godbole) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul25.205945.5081@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, tkl@osl.ncsu.edu
(Tim Lowman) writes:
|> In article <25684@bellcore.bellcore.com> lestat@nontech.Berkeley.EDU
(David Gonzalez-Nieves) writes:
|> >	We are currently using the one available from expo.lcs.mit.edu under
|> >X11R4 and it seems to work fine even though it is designed for X11R3. We

|> Then when you try to step through the program, it says that it can't find
|> the file the procedure was compiled in.
|> Also another annoying feature is that you can click on the "file" button and
|> the machine will either show you the files or crash in a malloc error.

we have the same problem on a 3/260 using xdbx from expo.lcs.mit.edu.
i wonder if someone has fixed this bug.  a working version of xdbx
could be pretty useful.

Rajesh Godbole,				|  preferred: rajeshg@diamond.tamu.edu
Department of Electrical Engineering.	|  otherwise: godbole@eemips.tamu.edu
Texas A&M University, College Station.	|  (409) 696-9528.