[net.news] Legalities

franka@hercules.UUCP (Frank Adrian) (01/17/85)

	Over the past few weeks, people on this newsgroup have been using
probability of lawsuit as a reason why the net should be moderated.  I
hope they don't get a false sense of security from this.  There are several
points at which a moderated net can be attacked legally more easily than an
bulletin board type system.

	1) Assumption of Responsibility
	If the network is unmoderated, the only certain legal point of attack
is the submitter (remember, I said CERTAIN).  In any case where the submitter
is known, the onus of the posting would be most likely to fall on him.  If
unauthorized or disguised access is used, the most likely court outcome is that
the STARGATE carrier would be treated as a common carrier whose medium had
been tapped into.  If the STARGATE carrier had made a reasonable attempt to
locate the unauthorized user, no penalty is likely to be assessed (again, I
said LIKELY. As with all things, laws are in the eyes of the beholders (or
whichever judge you happen to draw)).
	On the other hand, with a moderated system, the moderator (and by
default, the carrier) would seem to assume responsibility, along with the
submitter, for any and all materials posted to the system, much in the same
way that the publisher and editor of a magazine can be sued.  This is much
less of a legal gray area than the above.  If somebody doesn't like what you
said, you have assumed responsibility due to the restriction on submission and
they can sue you to the max.
	The question is, then, if you can minimize the possibility of
lawsuit (both real and nuisance) under the moderated or unmoderated scheme.
On the moderated scheme, you have a much lower chance of posting offensive
material, but a much higher chance that you would be held responsible for
the contents of all articles.  In the unmoderated scheme, you have the
opposite situation.

	2) Fairness of Moderation
	If submission rules are to be applied to newsgroups, they must be
applied fairly to all.  E.g., Jeff Sargent could claim discrimination if
the moderator of mod.singles didn't want to hear his maunderings this week.
The guidelines cannot be arbitrary.  There must be substantial reasons to
impose a rule.  If either of these criteria are not followed, it would seem
that a lawsuit could result.  This is only a problem on the moderated system.
An unmoderated system would have no such trouble.

	3) Fairness of Access
	Creation of new groups also must be standardized.  A small number of
network administrators could be sued if they blocked creation of a new news-
group.  Think of each group analogous to a magazine, with the moderators as
editors.  There is nothing to stop an editor from keeping a given article
from seeing the light of day.  But it is illegal for a group of editors to
stop a new magazine from being published. Again, with no moderation, anyone
could start a new group. No hassle.

	4) Selection of Administrators
	No company signs contracts or agreements to enter onto the USENET
at this time.  The policy is find a feed and get on.  If there were to be
administrators, there would have to be equality between the administrators
and each site would have to have rights to choose these people.  If any
site felt they were being treated unfairly they could possibly sue. Again,
no moderation, everyone gets his say and there is no case for lawsuit.

	5) Enter the Feds
	By using a type of channel which is very tight in usage these days
(satellite vs. phone lines), you bring the FCC into all of this.  Can a site
go to the FCC if it feels it is discriminated against in some way? In any
case, if there is no moderation, all of this type of problem goes away.

	Well, anyway, these are five things that I thought of right off the
top of my head.  From a legal standpoint I think that the possibility of each
happening goes down as we go from 1 to 5.  These are, of course, possibilities
only.  However, I think I have shown (since none of these points have been
tested in a court of law) that, legally, we could be in as much, if not more,
trouble with a moderated network as with an unmoderated network and that those
who hide behind legal issues in their attempt to censor articles are just
blowing smoke.  Any comments?
						Frank Adrian

tar@hou5g.UUCP (Tim Rock) (01/21/85)

I feel there is a more serious potential for a lawsuit
where copy rights are violated then "fairness" on the
network. I've seen so many cases where recipes are taken
from cookbooks, source code submitted, magazine articles
copied. This may have been commonly accepted because of
the ease in which floppies and paper can be replicated.

The difference here is that a record of the crime is
available.

I'm sure that the company that allowed this to happen
would be libel, but would the companies that passed this
along be too?

We've been fortunate up til  now because the victums do not
subscribe to this network. If they did I'm sure we would have
seen a test case.

		Tim Rock AT&T Information Systems

Bat Man@sdcc3.UUCP (rich) (01/22/85)

Has anyone ever been sued over anything done over the net?
Or do you guys just like threatening each other alot???

from the home of Rocky & Bullwinkle...

	  Commissioner Gordon...

wagle@iuvax.UUCP (01/22/85)

  I pay for a magazine.  Someone else is paying for this note.

  This is a very significant distinction, and one that your note does not
seem to recognize.

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (01/22/85)

I don't think that any lawsuits have resulted from net-related
items to date -- but I know of a couple of cases where suits almost
happened due to messages that were seen as libel.  One problem
is who would get sued?  You can't really authenticate message
authorship, and the net is totally distributed.  Of course, once
clear targets (like a broadcast carrier in an operational service)
are obvious, this could change.

--Lauren--

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (01/26/85)

Another source of lawsuits can be revelation of private or
agreement-protected information.  In practice a moderator might be very
hard-pressed to detect such disclosure.  (In the case I know the particulars
of, a lawsuit was planned; it was called off only because the information
turned out not to be illegally obtained or in any way protected.  In that
case, no attempt was made to implicate the network as a whole, just the
perpetrator.)

Has there been research into the possible legal implications of an illegal
revelation happening on a more centralized network like Stargate?  Would the
network's central organization be liable for damages, or could damage be
limited to the person who did the posting?  Could a moderator be found to be
criminally negligent?
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.

dw@rocksvax.UUCP (Don Wegeng) (01/27/85)

In article <2645@sdcc3.UUCP> Bat Man@sdcc3.UUCP (rich) writes:

>Has anyone ever been sued over anything done over the net?
>Or do you guys just like threatening each other alot???

For obvious reasons I'm not going to go into details, but I am aware
of at least one case where a site was threatened with a lawsuit after
one of it's users posted a message which stated that another company's
product was "garbage".  This happened a couple of years ago.  While
this might be an extreme case, it shows that the need for moderation
of some sort is not that off base.

--
/Don

"Don't touch me, I'm a real live wire.  Psycho Killer..."

arpa: Wegeng.Henr@Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {allegra,princeton,decvax!rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dw

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (01/28/85)

>	Of course, once clear targets (like a broadcast carrier in an
>	operational service) are obvious, this could change.
----------
How is the broadcast carrier any more a clear target than the
existing backbone sites?

scott preece
gould/csd-urbana
ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece

jpm@bnl.UUCP (John McNamee) (01/28/85)

> >Has anyone ever been sued over anything done over the net?
> >Or do you guys just like threatening each other alot???
>
> For obvious reasons I'm not going to go into details, but I am aware
> of at least one case where a site was threatened with a lawsuit after
> one of it's users posted a message which stated that another company's
> product was "garbage".  This happened a couple of years ago.  While
> this might be an extreme case, it shows that the need for moderation
> of some sort is not that off base.

I hope that when guidelines for moderation are drawn up that negative
product comments are not grounds for rejection. If a printed review called
a product "garbage" the vendor might write a nasty letter to the editor
and maybe not advertise in that publication, but they wouldnt sue them.
I'm all for Stargate, but I would hate to see the moderation so strict
that people couldn't express their feelings about bad products.
--

			John McNamee
		..!decvax!philabs!sbcs!bnl!jpm

scw@cepu.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) (01/31/85)

In article <10300007@ccvaxa.UUCP> preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (Scott Preece) writes:
>>	Of course, once clear targets (like a broadcast carrier in an
>>	operational service) are obvious, this could change.
>----------
>How is the broadcast carrier any more a clear target than the
>existing backbone sites?

Well, it's one (1) single target as opposed to many scattered targets.
The only way to handle that would be to attack all targets (backbone sites)
at once, this would drag in AT&T (two of the backbone sites are owned
by AT&T) along with AT&T's HUGE legal staff, not a very inviting target.
But a single medimum size company, (Stargate, whatever its real name is)
is much more vunerable to this kind of attack and hence must cover its ass
in advance.
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb}!cepu!scw

ber@petrus.UUCP (02/02/85)

Check out the December 1984 ;login: from USENIX.

"Legal Research on USENET Liability Issues" - Gail H. Shulman

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (02/03/85)

As those who attended the open board meeting at Dallas know, the
Usenix board seems to be pretty much considering the legal opinions
expressed to date to represent "worst case" views.  Obviously, the more
control you exercise, the more liabilities you may have.  But as I pointed
out recently, you can't just set up an uncontrolled pipeline without
user authentication and possibly signed statements of responsibility
from submitters (this from the same person who wrote the ;login
piece).  Since resource allocation is required in any case (the
bandwidth available is not unlimited) you only have three choices:

1) Limit by $.  You charge people to submit. If you have more
   money, you get to say more.  Period.

2) Limit by time.  Everyone gets the same space.  It doesn't
   matter what you have to say -- everyone is assumed capable of
   submitting equally useful articles.  Maybe everyone gets 5K/day
   or something.  Period.

I don't like either of these above two.  They sure don't seem fair to me.

3) Quality control in terms of removal of repetitious or illegal messages
   at the least, or more magazine-like creation of digests and other
   materials (that is, higher quality information) at the most.
   There is obviously a continuum here, with a broad range of possibilities.
   I obviously like this one.  I think it could result in a service
   worth spending your time reading.

The Usenix board pointed out that the mere existence of liabilities
isn't a reason not to do something--in this respect they wanted
to make sure that the ;login piece was not misunderstood.  Anyone
who even publishes a newsletter (like ;login!) is accepting liability
for the contents.  So are all magazines, radio and TV stations, etc.

What IS important is that the liabilities be understood.  Then the
decision regarding what level of liability is appropriate, relating
to the sort of service deemed useful, can be made reasonably.

--Lauren--