[comp.windows.x] Colormaps and Motif

scott@graft.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Silvey) (07/20/90)

I am having trouble setting the colormap for my motif applications.

Is this a known bug, or have people out there been able to
  accomplish this?

I am on a DecStation3100 running X11R4 and Motif1.0 (R3).

I make my own colormap and would like this to be the one used when
  I move into the window, however, it either 1)doesn't work if I try
  setting the colormap for sub-widgets or 2)it crashes the window
  manager (when I move the mouse into the window) when I set the
  colormap of the toplevel shell widget.

I use XSetWindowColormap(XtDisplay(widget), XtWindow(widget), cmap)
  to set the window's colormap.  I also tried XtSetValues for the
  XmNcolormap resource.  Then I use XSetWMColormapWindows() to
  tag a property on the toplevel widget which will supposedly be
  used by the window manager.

I guess I could make up a simple example and include the code,
  but first I want to know if other people have this problem too.

Would really appretiate knowing if other people have gotten this
  to work properly or not ... especially if it can be done for only
  sub-windows.

Thanks a lot.

Scott

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (07/23/90)

Newsgroups: comp.windows.x,comp.windows.x.motif
Subject: Re: Colormaps and Motif
In article <4bbac4a1.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> scott@scam.Berkeley.EDU writes:

>I am having trouble setting the colormap for my motif applications.
>Is this a known bug, or have people out there been able to
>  accomplish this?

  ... as far as Motif 1.0.3, there is a bug in mwm; it tries but does NOT
  deal with WM_COLORMAP_WINDOWS property correctly. It only installs the
  proper colormap IF the colormap is set for the SHELL.
  Except for the shell, any windows listed in WM_COLORAMP_WINDOWS property
  are simply ignored.
  Actually, there have been very few window managers capable of dealing
  with different colormaps for subwindows, but it's getting better
  every day.

=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM
(303) 252-2499                    {...}ncar!ico!auto-trol!marbru
Auto-trol Technology Corp. 12500 North Washington St., Denver, CO 80241-2404
--

mike@wang.com (Mike Sullivan) (07/24/90)

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) writes:

>In article <4bbac4a1.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> scott@scam.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>>
>>I am having trouble setting the colormap for my motif applications.
>>Is this a known bug, or have people out there been able to
>>  accomplish this?

>  ... as far as Motif 1.0.3, there is a bug in mwm; it tries but does NOT
>  deal with WM_COLORMAP_WINDOWS property correctly. It only installs the
>  proper colormap IF the colormap is set for the SHELL.
>  Except for the shell, any windows listed in WM_COLORAMP_WINDOWS property
>  are simply ignored.

I am also having problems w/ colormaps w/ mwm.

I am trying to use the xloadimage program posted a while
back.  It does a lot of mumbling about compressing bitmaps, gets it
down to a 16 color bitmap ( which should be fine for my VGA screen )
The screen goes technicolor, but my picture still comes up in a
sort of solarized rendition of monochrome.  Usually two nasty colors.

My question is why do I get a technicolor screen, and still not
(APPARENTLY) get the right colormap?

Has anyone got any patches to Xloadimage that make it do closest match
to the colormap already locked in by Mwm?

I am running SCO unix, X11R3 etc. on a PC386 with 4bit VGA

--
  ________________________
 /                    __  \     |  Michael J. Sullivan
| \  \  /  /\  |\ |  /  `  |    |  Wang Laboratories Inc.
|  \/ \/  /--\ | \|  \__T  |    |  mike@fun.WANG.COM
 \________________________/     |  "Whence profundity?"

rivera@peaks.enet.dec.com (Peter Rivera) (07/25/90)

xx

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (07/31/90)

In article <aqand5.10t@wang.com> mike@wang.com (Mike Sullivan) writes:

>   marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) writes:
>
>   >In article <4bbac4a1.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> scott@scam.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>   >>
>   >>I am having trouble setting the colormap for my motif applications.
>   >>Is this a known bug, or have people out there been able to
>   >>  accomplish this?
>
>   >  ... as far as Motif 1.0.3, there is a bug in mwm; it tries but does NOT
>   >  deal with WM_COLORMAP_WINDOWS property correctly. It only installs the
>   >  proper colormap IF the colormap is set for the SHELL.
>   >  Except for the shell, any windows listed in WM_COLORAMP_WINDOWS property
>   >  are simply ignored.
>
>   I am also having problems w/ colormaps w/ mwm.
>
>   I am trying to use the xloadimage program posted a while
>   back.  It does a lot of mumbling about compressing bitmaps, gets it
>   down to a 16 color bitmap ( which should be fine for my VGA screen )
>   The screen goes technicolor, but my picture still comes up in a
>   sort of solarized rendition of monochrome.  Usually two nasty colors.
>
>   My question is why do I get a technicolor screen, and still not
>   (APPARENTLY) get the right colormap?
>
>   Has anyone got any patches to Xloadimage that make it do closest match
>   to the colormap already locked in by Mwm?

	The right solution would be to run Mwm in monochrome on your limited
	color system.  Try the following monochrome resource settings:

XLoad*background:		White
XLoad*foreground:		Black

XTerm*background:		Black
XTerm*foreground:		White
XTerm*cursorColor:		Black

#define MWM_POINTER
!#define MWM_NeXT

mwm*armColor:			white

!
! component appearance resources
!
#ifdef MWM_POINTER
Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:		pointer
Mwm*buttonBindings:			PointerButtonBindings
Mwm*passButtons:			True
!Mwm*focusAutoRaise:			True

#else
! EXPLICIT mode
Mwm*colormapFocusPolicy:		explicit
Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:		explicit
Mwm*buttonBindings:			ExplicitButtonBindings
Mwm*startupKeyFocus:			False
Mwm*deiconifyKeyFocus:			True
#endif

#ifdef MWM_NeXT
Mwm*clientDecoration:			-resize -border
Mwm*matteWidth:				4
#endif

! SETUP the rest of the Mwm resources
Mwm*keyBindings:			DefaultKeyBindings
Mwm*windowMenu:				DefaultWindowMenu
Mwm*wMenuButtonClick2:			False
Mwm*wMenuButtonClick:			False
Mwm*resizeBorderWidth:			7
Mwm*moveThreshold:			3

! ICON stuff
Mwm*iconClick:				False
Mwm*iconAutoPlace:			True
Mwm*iconImageMinimum:			16x16
!Mwm*iconDecoration:			label image
Mwm*iconDecoration:			activelabel
Mwm*useClientIcon:			True
!Mwm*iconImage:				~/xlogo.xbm

! FONT stuff
Mwm*fontList:				variable
! Use smaller fixed font for icons
Mwm*icon*fontList:			fixed

! MONOCHROME setup

Mwm*cleanText:				True

Mwm*activeBackground:	 	white
Mwm*activeForeground: 		black
Mwm*background:		 	white
Mwm*foreground: 		black

Mwm*client*activeBackgroundPixmap:	50_foreground
Mwm*client*activeTopShadowPixmap:	foreground
Mwm*client*activeBottomShadowPixmap:	background

!Mwm*client*background:		 	white
!Mwm*client*foreground:	 		black
Mwm*client*backgroundPixmap:		75_foreground
Mwm*client*topShadowPixmap:		foreground
Mwm*client*bottomShadowPixmap:		background

!Mwm*feedback*background:		white
!Mwm*feedback*foreground:	 	black
Mwm*feedback*backgroundPixmap:		50_foreground
!Mwm*feedback*topShadowPixmap:		25_foreground
!Mwm*feedback*bottomShadowPixmap:	background

!Mwm*menu*background:			white
!Mwm*menu*foreground:			black
Mwm*menu*backgroundPixmap:		foreground
!Mwm*menu*topShadowPixmap:		foreground
!Mwm*menu*bottomShadowPixmap:		background

!Mwm*icon*background:		 	white
!Mwm*icon*foreground:	 		black
Mwm*icon*activeBackgroundPixmap:	50_foreground
Mwm*icon*activeBottomShadowPixmap:	foreground
Mwm*icon*backgroundPixmap:		75_foreground

! Miscellaneous Resource
!Mwm*bitmapDirectory:	/users/yee/bitmaps
!Mwm*emacs*iconImage:	emacs2.xbm
!Mwm*xterm*iconImage:	xterm.xbm
!Mwm*useIconBox:				True
!Mwm*iconDecoration:			label
!Mwm*iconbox*selectColor:		black
!!Mwm*iconbox*XmDrawnButton*highlightColor: Black
!Mwm*iconbox*hScrollBar*highlightColor: LightGray
!Mwm*iconbox*vScrollBar*highlightColor: LightGray
!Mwm*iconbox*vScrollBar*width:  10
!Mwm*iconbox*hScrollBar*height: 10
!Mwm*iconbox*clientDecoration:		border

#ifdef MWM_NeXT
Mwm*Clock*clientDecoration:		none
Mwm*XLoad*clientDecoration:		none
Mwm*XClock*clientDecoration:		none
Mwm*XBiff*clientDecoration:		none
Mwm*XPostit*clientDecoration:		none
#else
Mwm*Clock*clientDecoration:		border
Mwm*XLoad*clientDecoration:		border
Mwm*XClock*clientDecoration:		border
Mwm*XBiff*clientDecoration:		border
Mwm*XPostit*clientDecoration:		border
#endif

--
= OPEN Software Foundation -- 11 Cambridge Center -- Cambridge, MA 02142