[comp.windows.x] VOM Look

donn@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (Donn Cave) (07/28/90)

From a couple of estheticians:
>you would think they could invest some time into making them more visually
>appealing.  Would 3-D color effects really be that hard to do for one of ...

>What about a compromise: decent 3d look which does NOT waste resources
>(not only CPU cycles) the way Motif does ?

Does beautiful graphic design depend on fake 3-D ornamentation?  I hope
not!  But whatever esthetic principles inspire our would-be graphic designers,
I hope they will also consider screen "real estate" as a resource.  Most of
the window managers I've seen want to add considerably to the size of a window,
forcing me to overlap windows that could otherwise be adjacent.  Twm, to its
credit, allows me to control the size of these decorations.  Window managers
from the "look fascism" camps aren't generally so flexible.

		Donn Cave
		University Computing Services
		University of Washington
		donn@cac.washington.edu

jim@ncd.COM (Jim Fulton) (07/28/90)

	Subject: VOM Look

When we coined the name, we intended for the trailing IT in
"Virtually Obsolete MIT" to be included in the abbreviation....

							:-)

dbrooks@osf.osf.org (David Brooks) (07/30/90)

In article <9007271840.AA15107@milton.u.washington.edu> donn@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (Donn Cave) writes:
>...I hope they will also consider screen "real estate" as a resource.  Most of
>the window managers I've seen want to add considerably to the size of a window,
>forcing me to overlap windows that could otherwise be adjacent.  Twm, to its
>credit, allows me to control the size of these decorations.  Window managers
>from the "look fascism" camps aren't generally so flexible.

From one of the fascists...

If you want to do this with mwm, try:

	Mwm*clientDecoration: none

You can still get at all the window management functions using
accelerators, or modifier-clicks if you like keeping your hand on the
mouse.

Actually, I prefer giving otherwise undecorated windows a matteWidth
of 3.  This takes little real-estate and looks fairly cool.  I also
tailor my decorations on a per-class basis; for many clients I just
plain never need the resize handles.
--
David Brooks			dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF	uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

bpistr@ciba-geigy.ch (Joseph C Pistritto) (07/30/90)

> >From a couple of estheticians:
> >you would think they could invest some time into making them more visually
> >appealing.  Would 3-D color effects really be that hard to do for one of ...
>
> >What about a compromise: decent 3d look which does NOT waste resources
> >(not only CPU cycles) the way Motif does ?
>
> Does beautiful graphic design depend on fake 3-D ornamentation?  I hope
> not!  But whatever esthetic principles inspire our would-be graphic designers,
> I hope they will also consider screen "real estate" as a resource.  Most of
> the window managers I've seen want to add considerably to the size of a window,
> forcing me to overlap windows that could otherwise be adjacent.  Twm, to its
> credit, allows me to control the size of these decorations.  Window managers
> from the "look fascism" camps aren't generally so flexible.

No, of course not.  On the other hand, I was a real die-hard UWM user, (sort of
the ultimate in 'minimalist' window managers), and now use Motif (and MWM) becauase
we're using it for a project.  I find that I can mostly get rid of and control the
size of the decorations down to the point where I can still effectively use 99% of
my screen.  For instance I have several 'fixed' windows on my screen, which have
no decorations at all (nor even a border, as UWM would insert).  You can get a
fairly good approximation of the 'minimalist' look and feel even with MWM, if you're
willing to put in some time setting up the defaults files appropriately.
                                                                -jcp-
--
Joseph C. Pistritto (bpistr@ciba-geigy.ch, jcp@brl.mil)
 Ciba Geigy AG, R1241.1.01, Postfach CH4002, Basel, Switzerland

dave@dptechno.UUCP (Dave Lee) (07/31/90)

In article <9007271840.AA15107@milton.u.washington.edu> donn@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (Donn Cave) writes:

>Does beautiful graphic design depend on fake 3-D ornamentation?  I hope
>not!  But whatever esthetic principles inspire our would-be graphic designers,
>I hope they will also consider screen "real estate" as a resource.  Most of
>the window managers I've seen want to add considerably to the size of a window,
>forcing me to overlap windows that could otherwise be adjacent.  Twm, to its
>credit, allows me to control the size of these decorations.  Window managers
>from the "look fascism" camps aren't generally so flexible.

On a similar note, Most "smart" window managers and indeed most of the
contrib software seems (IMHO) to be written with a large screen in mind.
Typically 1152x900 or atleast 1024x768.

Try these wm's on a VGA at 640x480 and you have real problems of the
above mentioned type.

I'm of the "roll-your-own" camp.  I use uwm exclusivly.  Program in
Xlib only.  Have my own X libraries that use my own quick minimal 3D
effect.  And, Yes, it does look much better than the 2D effect.
Amazing what just 8 XDraw()'s can do for appeal, WITHOUT much
noticable overhead in either response time OR library size.

--
Dave Lee
uunet!dptechno!dave

davisp@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Palmer Davis) (07/31/90)

In article <9007271840.AA15107@milton.u.washington.edu> donn@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (Donn Cave) writes:
>I hope they will also consider screen "real estate" as a resource.  Most of
>the window managers I've seen want to add considerably to the size of a window
>forcing me to overlap windows that could otherwise be adjacent.  Twm, to its
>credit, allows me to control the size of these decorations.  Window managers
>from the "look fascism" camps aren't generally so flexible.

We used to have this very objection about Motif until we bothered to read the
manual page.  The "resize handles" that add so much thickness to a Motif window
can be toned down (or up, if you're a closet Open Look fan :-) ) or turned off
completely, as can the other controls Motif displays.  If you feel particularly
energetic (which we did), you can reconfigure Motif completely to get the feel
you're used to from twm.  We haven't bothered much with Open Look (for obvious
reasons), so I can't say for sure if you can tweak the appearance of their
frames.  The copyright message in the Open Look sources saying "you can't call
it Open Look if you change *anything* about it" makes me rather pessimistic
about this, though.

-- Palmer Davis --

--
Palmer T. Davis                 |  davisp@scl.cwru.edu  -OR-  ptd2@po.cwru.edu
Pittsburgh Powercomputing Corp. | {att,sun,decvax,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!davisp

drl@VUSE.VANDERBILT.EDU (David R. Linn) (08/01/90)

Perhaps we could rename the Virtually Obsolete MIT look-and-feel to the
*Cost-free* (if somewhat) *Ordinary* MIT look-and-feel in order to
stress its perhaps strongest point.  After all, COMIT makes one's
thoughts turn to the skies, which is a bit more pleasant than the image
offered by the other acronym.