[comp.windows.x] Hung console and "kbd_mode -a"

steven@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Steven Sakata) (07/06/90)

First, I would like to thank everyone who replied so quickly to my hanging
console problem.  Everyone responded with the answer being using "kbd_mode -a".

However, I've tried that, and it still doesn't free the console.  I've telneted
over to the system that has the hung console, and I ran that command, and it
doesn't seem to do anything.  Any ideas?.....Thanks, Steven.

Steven Sakata (University of Hawaii Computing Center)
Internet: steven@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
BITNET: steven@uhunix.BITNET

keane@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Chris Keane) (07/09/90)

steven@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Steven Sakata) writes:

>First, I would like to thank everyone who replied so quickly to my hanging
>console problem.  Everyone responded with the answer being using "kbd_mode -a".

>However, I've tried that, and it still doesn't free the console.  I've telneted
>over to the system that has the hung console, and I ran that command, and it
>doesn't seem to do anything.  Any ideas?.....Thanks, Steven.

It's a sun, right?

Did you try using clear_colormap in conjunction with kbd_mode -a? You'll have
to press return to get a response. (clear_colormap is a standard sun thingy)

regards...
                                                     Chris.
| The ultimate profit-making juke-box: It plays   |  keane@ultima.cs.uts.oz.au
| Kylie Minogue songs until you put money in it...|
Disclaimer: These are my own opinions, but I'm insane. What's your excuse?

x-window@uni-paderborn.de (X-Window {TARGON/SUN}) (08/01/90)

   From: steven@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Steven Sakata)
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
   Date: 6 Jul 90 04:15:17 GMT
   Sender: news@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu

   First, I would like to thank everyone who replied so quickly to my hanging
   console problem.  Everyone responded with the answer being using "kbd_mode -a".

   However, I've tried that, and it still doesn't free the console.  I've telneted
   over to the system that has the hung console, and I ran that command, and it
   doesn't seem to do anything.  Any ideas?.....Thanks, Steven.

   Steven Sakata (University of Hawaii Computing Center)
   Internet: steven@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
   BITNET: steven@uhunix.BITNET

Usually I solve this problem by running

	xinit;kbd_mode -a

from a rlogin or telnet session. Then X starts on the console and a
xterm appears. In this window I type exit, the X servers shuts down
and all is O.K.
Hope this helps.

	Swen

--> Swen Th"ummler   X - Betreuung   <swen@uni-paderborn.de>  <--