[comp.windows.x] Why are all of the free Widgets so ugly looking?

shite@unf7.UUCP (Stephen Hite) (07/25/90)

   I like the functionality that the Athena Widgets and HP Widgets (2-D)
provide.  But with all of the money MIT has poured into X Windows technology
you would think they could invest some time into making them more visually
appealing.  Would 3-D color effects really be that hard to do for one of
the top 5 Comp Sci universities in the country?  Is there a development
policy at MIT that restricts exploration into this area?  Does MIT have
a staff or group of human factors engineers that could assist in this area?
I would think that some viable Master's theses could be generated from
this area in the field of graphic design.

   I apologize if the Athena Widget developers take offense to these
questions.  I applaud their technical abilities and efforts to provide
very workable libraries upon which to build applications.

   I am not involved with X window development as a livelihood so buying
Motif or Open Look is a moot point (esp. for a graduate student, yow!).
I'm being totally unreasonable...I want free widgets that look perty! ;)

-----------------------------
Steve Hite
...gatech!uflorida!unf7!shite

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) (07/27/90)

>    I like the functionality that the Athena Widgets and HP Widgets (2-D)
> provide.  But with all of the money MIT has poured into X Windows technology
> you would think they could invest some time into making them more visually
> appealing.

I'd certainly agree that the Athena widgets are ugly.

>    I apologize if the Athena Widget developers take offense to these
> questions.

This is the key misunderstanding.  "Athena Widget developers".  For Release 4,
this consisted of a single person (Chris Peterson), who rewrote the entire text
widget, rewrote the pane widget, fixed many other catastrophic bugs in other
widgets and produced several hundred pages of mostly useful documentation.  I'm
certain that he must have slept during the last month before the release, but
I'm not sure when.

Besides, some of us are quite used to the Virtually Obsolete MIT look & feel.

I think there's something to be said for a completely random user-interface
policy - it keeps the users guessing, making life more interesting for people
who deal with the casual X users.  As for the screen display, at least you
can't claim that people are mesmorized by sexy glitz which distracts them from
the work at hand.

> I'm being totally unreasonable...I want free widgets that look perty! ;)

If you've got the time, we've got the tapes.

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (07/27/90)

>Besides, some of us are quite used to the Virtually Obsolete MIT look & feel.

Some of us *LIKE* the VOML&F.  We have better things on which to waste
CPU cycles and VM than drawing 3d/art-deco widgets...

	Mark, who remembers the astonishing performance improvement
	when the 3d look was removed from the Xw buttons going from R2->R3

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (07/27/90)

In article <90Jul27.021210edt.6918@neat.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:

>Some of us *LIKE* the VOML&F.  We have better things on which to waste
>CPU cycles and VM than drawing 3d/art-deco widgets...
>
>	Mark, who remembers the astonishing performance improvement
>	when the 3d look was removed from the Xw buttons going from R2->R3

  What about a compromise: decent 3d look which does NOT vaste resources
  (not only CPU cycles) the way Motif does ?

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (07/28/90)

In article <9007261918.AA17530@xenon.lcs.mit.edu> keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) writes:
 >> I'm being totally unreasonable...I want free widgets that look perty! ;)
 >
 >If you've got the time, we've got the tapes.

Oooh -- I like this slogan!  I can see the shirts at next year's Xhibition --

	X11R5:  If you've got the time, we've got the tapes.

I like it.
| Internet:   kucharsk@Solbourne.COM	      |	William Kucharski             |
| uucp:	...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk |	Solbourne Computer, Inc.      |
= The opinions above are mine alone and NOT those of Solbourne Computer, Inc. =

rlk@THINK.COM (Robert L Krawitz) (07/28/90)

   Date: 27 Jul 90 14:23:58 GMT
   From: snorkelwacker!usc!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!ncar!ico!auto-trol!marbru@bloom-beacon.mit.edu  (Martin Brunecky)

   In article <90Jul27.021210edt.6918@neat.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:

   >Some of us *LIKE* the VOML&F.  We have better things on which to waste
   >CPU cycles and VM than drawing 3d/art-deco widgets...

     What about a compromise: decent 3d look which does NOT vaste resources
     (not only CPU cycles) the way Motif does ?

How about those of us who hate twm because of the title bars?  Many of
us did just fine on uwm (the icon manager is a win, though).

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (Richard Hesketh) (07/28/90)

In article <9007272243.AA23742@underprize.think.com> rlk@THINK.COM (Robert L Krawitz) writes:
>How about those of us who hate twm because of the title bars?  Many of
>us did just fine on uwm (the icon manager is a win, though).

How about putting "NoTitle" in your .twmrc
twm's title bars are very much optional, check out the manual page for more
details.

chuck@Morgan.COM (Chuck Ocheret) (08/02/90)

>      X11R5:  If you've got the time, we've got the tapes.

I don't know about X11R5 yet, but X11R4 should have been released with
the slogan:

	X11R4:	If you've got the disk, we've got the tapes.

~chuck
--
+--------------------+   Chuck Ocheret, Sr. Staff Engineer   +---------------+
|chuck@APT.Morgan.COM|       Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc.      |(212) 703-4474 |